Osram Sylvania Smart+ Lightify

It seemed uncharacteristic and I always keep in mind that text cannot truly convey the feeling behind it.

2 Likes

Part of my frustration with Hubitat and color is the different ways to do color. I prefer color_temp like all the other systems I have use. Can't do that on hubitat (as far as I know?).

Ok, so HSL it is. But for hue you can do it 0-100 or you can do it 0-360. I like 0-360. Oh, except you can't do 0-360 on groups of bulbs. :sigh:

1st world problems I guess.

???, there are commands for setting color temperature for RGBW devices, not following you on this one.

1 Like

CT on RGBW bulb

I should have been more clear. Every other system I have allows color_temp in mireds.

So if I have to convert anyway, instead of using the same value I use elsewhere, it doesn't really matter what the units are as it is equal work either way.

But good point. mired to K is a simple matter. I guess I'm complaining about nothing in the end.

Although.. last I trIed putting in 2700 on my osram gardenspots it did not yield the expected result. I'll try again, maybe I messed it up.

EDIT: For the record, I was wrong on this. Disregard my earlier comment on color. Although the one on hue 0-100 vs 0-360 on the groups stands. :slight_smile:

Looks like the consensus is that I should have another Hubitat for just the Osram bulbs. I kind of get it, but not really: if they don't route well then they're just going to be not routing well on their own hub, how will that help the routing? They're great bulbs, the colour response is great, they look integrated with their diffused covers and apart from this issue are easily the best combo of colour / colour temp available in the UK that I can find, but there's just this lingering doubt in my mind that spending another $100 plus import charges will actually address the issue. I'm into the detail, so any explanations that will help me are genuinely gratefully received. Don't hold back!

(Note: I do have some Gledopto GU10s in one room that respond a million times better on Hubitat than they ever did on Smartthings but they're pretty ugly so I doubt I'll expand into them...)

That's not the same. The issue is the older osram and ledvance lamps are ZigBee Light Link (LL), theses are not designed to carry home automation messages just lighting messages. So if you have a hub with just LL lamps they will work fine. It's when you mix them with ZigBee Home Automation (HA) and ZigBee 3.0 that the issue can arise.
The newer ledvance ones are ZigBee 3.0 so as the system is HA they will fall back to working as HA. Where as the LL SHOULD be capable of upping to HA and handling them messages but they just aren't.

Philips ones are apparently better but osram are one of the worst. I have just lamps on my network, a mix of Philips (LL), Osram (LL), Aurora (3.0), Inner (3.0) and ledvance (3.0). I don't have any issues because they are only routing themselves.

Also if you cane from ST and didn't have a issue that's because ST slow down the network. Also with the constant outage in the cloud you get distrust; so when it doesn't work you just assume it's the cloud again but it could have been the lamps falling over.

You could try switching the driver to @bertabcd1234 ‘s ‘generic zigbee rgbw (tamed)’ driver. I believe that it has relaxed timings to help with not overwhelming the bulbs. Since the bulbs work well one at a time, it would seem that slowing down the commands slightly may help when addressing multiple bulbs. It’s worth a shot. Also, I have had the best luck with them on channel 25.
Edit: I just realized that I still have one of the old Lightify under cabinet lights at my wifes desk. I had to use Bert’s driver to get it to work reliably. All of my other Sylvanias are the newer Ledvance version.

Please share if you do. I can't find nothing to replace gardenspots.

Here's the front of my house lit by gardenspots lining the walkway:

I'm sure you can guess the season when this was taken :wink: Right now it's a play on green. The colors are never perfectly consistent due to the layout of the 3 lights, so I tend to take advantage of that getting a color fade up the walls. Really not visible in this picture though :frowning:

1 Like

Nice!

1 Like

Thanks Ken, I will give this a try first. Sounds promising.

1 Like

Let us know how it goes.

Not noticed any material difference yet, but I'll give everything a little while to settle. Next up will be to try changing the zigbee channel, then possibly putting a second hub in. I still think they should just work, but I do understand the complexities of an ecosystem that relies on many different partners.

Is that still local though?

And the entire reason I moved away from ST was to keep everything local - mostly because I wanted everything quicker. The latency on ST / Webcore was sometimes horrific; so bad in fact that sometimes even I was reaching for the physical switch in frustration!!!!

Plus, I'm a great believer in keeping it simple; I really just want to be able to plug it all in, write my rules and setup my scenes and forget all about it. Seems unlikely though, whichever way one turns there's a zigbee wrinkle here or an xbee complication there, or this bulb doesn't do x etc etc. Sigh.

Not unless it’s one of the devices they support as local.

Well yeah, the lightify bulbs are supported locally. But I don't know if hubconnect works locally as well.

The answer is add another hub for Zigbee bulbs that repeat and screw up other devices for around the same cost as a smart switch.

1 Like

My options are narrowing! This is where I am headed.