Orbit Iris HT8-ZB - 270870 - Way too chatty for winter hibernation

Just happen to discover the Zigbee radio comms log under HE settings-zigbee this morn and watched awhile.

I was surprised to find my two Orbits chatting up a storm multiple times a minute. For the winter these units are sitting on a shed shelf not far from a HE Hub. (So far proving an HE hub can survive a dusty 15-105F environment )

Here is one such log entry of 3-4 times per minute from each:

Valve - Garden2020-12-13 06:43:47.894 profileId:0x104, clusterId:0x20, sourceEndpoint:1, destinationEndpoint:1 , groupId:0, lastHopLqi:255, lastHopRssi:-49

Their respective EVENT histories show last activity from when they were last in the field this autumn (working for the Simple Irrigation App whose respective child apps are disabled for winter). Nothing recent.

Using driver: ORBIT HOSE WATER TIMER

Again, there are two behaving the same so it's not a one off situation. These performed flawlessly at a pretty good distance from repeaters this summer ...but
this seems like excessive "I'm alive" radio chatter compared to the rest of the devices.

Can a driver revision quiet them down?

(By the way, I could use a spare/backup unit in case anybody out there has one they aren't using.)

I wouldn't worry too much about the zigbee logging. I have 4 orbit hose timers and they are checking in similar to my motion sensors and presence sensors. I have 100 + zigbee devices on this hub and it's humming along fine. I don't think there is anything you can do with a driver for the check with the orbit timer.
You can remove the batteries to the orbit timers if you don't want the logging during winter. I remove the batteries every year from Nov to Mar except this year. I forgot all about them until this post!

1 Like

Thanks. I just thought the chatter was a bit anomalous and something to eventually worry about when at your scale. Obviously not. And as far as pulling the batteries , these operated so well I was reluctant to touch the battery and pull them out of the mesh until I have to. :crossed_fingers:

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.