Opinion on ZSE42 leak sensor

Hi Everyone,

Has anyone tried the Zooz ZSE42 yet? It looks like an inexpensive leak sensor. The price, at the moment, is similar to the Smartthings leak sensor that I have used, but is no longer on sale.

I've ordered 2, and will try them out.

Ian

2 Likes

This was just released today,so I'm guessing no one here has tried them yet, except maybe someone on staff if Zooz sent them a model to write a driver. It seems hard to me to mess up a leak sensor too bad, so hopefully it works well for you! Definitely looks neat...new 700-series devices are always exciting. :slight_smile:

1 Like

That explains why I've not seen it before. I'll have to post some stuff when I get it all setup. The product page said Beta, and might require firmware update. I'm wondering how that procedure will be.

True, but eating batteries might be one method, and dropping off the hub might be another. So far, the Samsung ones have been solid for me. As far as I know, they've always triggered, and I've never replaced the battery in them (that I can remember anyway).

Maybe @agnes.zooz will chime in on expected battery life (and if there is any bulk discount - I need 16 of them).

I'm really interested, but am very skeptical/worried about battery life given the tiny cr2032 battery. I would have rather it been physically bigger with a bigger battery.

1 Like

How long have you had them? I've replaced batteries in my 16 Samsung leak sensors at least 2x. They last around a year for me (maybe a bit more).

They're massively discounted at The Smartest House right now ($17.95/ea; original price $28.95).

They should last around 12 months depending on the amount of reports they'll be sending to the hub and if they need to go through repeaters.

The intro price we have there now is currently the lowest price we can offer but once it will be sold at list price, you can always get in touch with us to request bulk pricing for quantities over 10.

We sent the samples of the sensor to Hubitat so hopefully it will be integrated in one of the next platform updates :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I'm getting ready to order some of the open/close sensors and the cr2032 battery is my biggest concern as well.

Thanks. Just ordered 20 sensors {16 leak, 4 contact). Let's hope I get the right ones (unlike last week's ZEN77 order lol).

Looking forward to it.

Get busy @bcopeland ! (Just joking!)

3 Likes

3 Likes

Ha.. Done

6 Likes

@agnes.zooz These are showing as sold out. Are you planning to offer any more at the $17.95 price?

1 Like

Yes, they're restocked already and available here.

Thanks!

I think about 2 years. Here's battery history for the two for the since 12/2020:

[EDIT] It looks like I still have my history from when I used to be on smartthings too. Here's 1/2020 through when I switched to Hubitat.

I've got a few Visonic mct-340e sensors that also use a 2032. They seem to last me about one year.

Wow, are you a property manager, or just really concerned about leaks?

My brother's order arrived wrong from them. I've not had that issue. He said he's never ordering from thesmartesthouse again.

Well, you've had much better experience than I have on battery life on the Samsungs then.

I have leak sensors on every water source in my house (including 2 water heaters, and 2 HVAC drip pans). With 4 bathrooms, split sinks, separate toilet areas, laundry room, etc they add up fast.

If these work I'll sell the Samsung ones I am using now on eBay or something. I am a weirdo, and moving away from zigbee to everything zwave 500/700. Leak sensors and temp/humidity sensors are all that's left for me.

My leak and contact sensors are supposed to arrive Friday. Even though there will be in-box drivers for these devices in Hubitat 2.2.9, I wrote user drivers for them anyway that expose all settings. Assuming I get the right items in the shipment, I'll probably release the drivers this weekend.

Really for something simple like leak and contact sensors, I expect the upcoming in-box drivers will work perfectly fine for 99.9% of users, though. But I was bored sitting in my hotel on a work trip, so figured - why not make user ones?

1 Like

Are you confident your sensors are the real deal Samsung sensors? Are you confident that your batteries are legit too? How about signal, think they spend a lot of time re-transmitting? I'd suspect if you've written your own drivers, then you'd have already checked that stuff.

Eh, I'm just doing one per wet room. So I've got a utility room, laundry room, bathroom and kitchen. One of the nice things about having a small house is less stuff to break. One of the not-so-nice things about having a house from 1947 are pipes that leak for no reason.

Mine just arrived. Just paired them up, they worked (mostly) right away. One didn't detect as an Aeotec 7, as the website said, but I set it manually and it seemed to work after doing so. So far, no battery reports on the one that didn't detect the device type, but the other has been good.

Both responded quickly to water, and clear.

The home safety monitor in hubitat didn't pick up the new sensors right away, so it didn't trigger my water valve to shut. Simple going in and unsetting/resetting the settings the device list within the safety monitor fixed it. This might be something to be aware of when adding new devices, as mine was set to "Use every water sensor" and didn't know the new ones were there.

What other info is there? Wet, dry, battery, ???

Really nothing necessary/very important.

1 - LED on/off on state change
2 - How many % battery has to change before reporting it to the hub
3 - What battery % sends the Low Battery notification
4 - Group 2 associations, used for things like automatically closing a water valve when sensor is wet. Or on contact sensors, automatically turn on/off a light when door is opened (like a closet).

I don't tend to use associations, but I put it in the driver since the devices support them.

Hmm, I had an issue back on Smartthings where a device would turn on a light, even though one (or both) device(s) were removed from the hub completely. I wonder if something like this happened to me. I learn new stuff all the time.

Associations can be handy for VERY SIMPLE hub independent on/off style control (and sometimes level/dimmers). The caveat though is that:

1. The devices have to be neighbors in the zwave mesh (association commands don't route)
  2. Some devices do not update their status on the hub when controlled via association commands. So depending on the device you can have a situation where a switch is really ON, but shows OFF on the hub (for example). To make it more fun SOME devices do send a status update when controlled via associations, but SOME devices don't.