OpenWeatherMap-Alerts-Weather-Driver

Yes.

There's no way to get the actual rainfall from yesterday (if checked through the morning or today) or today (if checked late that day) from this driver is there?

I vaguely remember another driver that made a different query to OWM,. Hmm I'll look around.

Correct. OpenWeatherMap does not provide that in the API that this driver uses. They provide 'last hour' rain volume, or daily forecast, but no accumulated totals of actuals.

1 Like

Thanks for confirming. I've had a good look at can't see any api that shares it either. Can see one that says rain in last 3h but I don't believe that one was free and would require checking every 3h and adding them up.. Assuming that would be accurate enough..

so it seems that even with my bodgy efforts extracting info from a json (from limites experience with an arduino ide project preciously) that I may just live with forecast data.

Do you remember what it is that you changed? I have been having the same problem for a while now and I can't get it to work. The url to the icons is correct, and if I browse to that url and add a /1.png to end of the url, I see an icon.

Hello. I am struggling to get specific current conditions with this app. In referencing the four state variables below, they do not appear to indicate the specific discrete condition codes from the OpenWeather API docs.

condition_code : mostlycloudy
condition_icon_only : 28.png
condition_text : Broken clouds
weatherIcons : 04d

I have a rule that is currently using weatherIcons right now. It works for 01d, 02d & 03d. However, 04d is used for two different conditions. I would like to differentiate between those two conditions. I tried enabling condition_code and condition_text, but those are textual and also appear to be inconsistent with the API docs.

Is there a way I can get the actual discrete group XXX condition codes? For instance,

• 800 for clear sky
  • 801 for few clouds: 11-25%
  • 802 for scattered clouds: 25-50%
  • 803 for broken clouds: 51-84%
  • 804 for overcast clouds: 85-100%

This will better facilitate programming based on discrete conditions.

Thank You
Troy

The driver does a translation of the OWM condition code. That table is on lines 1657-1713 of the driver code. Most of those translations date back through the legacy drivers that this one evolved from (WU, APIXU, DarkSky). That translation table shows you what OWM Icon would be used (for both 'Day' and 'Night'), the alternative icon used by this driver (both 'Day' and 'Night') and the more universally accepted (Weather Wunderground) condition_code translation presented (for both 'Day' and Night'). The driver does not expose the three digit OWM condition code that is translated in that table.

Thank you @Matthew

I modified my driver to expose the discrete group XXX codes in the condition_code state variable. That actually makes more sense to me anyway, since the state variable is named "condition_code", as opposed to condition_name.

I use this in a rule to control whether to close blinds on a certain exposure of my house to the southern sky. I only want to close them based on certain sun exposures and this gives me that.

@stevenascott I ran across this post and was wondering if you ever played around with adding the hourly data into the API call? I have a use case as well... trying to make a forecast-aware thermostat control for a steam heating system.... In general, "smart" thermostats are WILDLY stupid when it comes to old systems - pretty much they're designed for forced air (i.e. instant control with no overhead cost - such as heating up basement piping) and not much else. Trying to make it more efficient in the shoulder seasons. For example "if I'm only 1 degree off my setpoint, don't turn on if the hourly forecast says the outdoor temp is going to pass my setpoint within a few hours anyway". That kind of thing... was going to try to do that in RM but need to pull in the hourly data. Trying to figure out how much of the learning curves of both JSON and Groovy I need to tackle or if someone else has started to poke around in this area already :-). Thanks!

I didn't go that deep, because I ended up just leaving the windows open every night, but I'd love to figure it out eventually.

Noobie question - Got weather widget to show up in Hubitat and SharpTools dashboards, but all I get is current info, no forecast, cool little cloud and sun icons for future, etc.

How can I get all that to show up? I've turned on every option in the device settings.

For SharpTools.io you would authorize the device and then add the Thing to your dashboard. It should automatically be recognized as a weather tile.

I've done that, just not seeing anything but current conditions, even though I have every option turned on in the weather device settings.

The threedayfcstTile attribute seems to have those based off of the screenshots further up in the thread.

That attribute is stuffed with HTML though, see you would need to use something like the Hubitat HTML Renderer Custom Tile to display it in SharpTools.

You can also check out the Weather Widget Custom Tile Collection for SharpTools.

See this post to show how to display the threedayfcstTile in a Hubitat dashboard.

That option does not come out for me, maybe I have something wrong?

Not sure if this was mentioned prior but the sunset/sunrise appears to show up in GMT timezone and don't know how to adjust to local Canadian PST zone.

Nvm, going to answer my own question. It appears that the hubitat timezone was not set properly and for some reason reverted back to GMT after i ran an update. Great thread and thank you for this excellent driver.

1 Like

The time zone for the hub is set at Settings-->Location and Modes.

Matthew, thank you for the quick reply. Think I got it to work. Totally awesome thread and your efforts for all of this is very much appreciated!!!

1 Like