On 2.3.3.121, can't soft reset, can't upgrade diagnostic tool

Hi,

I've learnt that whenever I want to upgrade hub to a new version firmware, I need to follow these steps:

1. Soft reset
  2. Shutdown hub (very important, reboot isn't good enough)
  3. Power off hub
  4. Boot up
  5. Perform upgrade
  6. Restore backup

This is a major PITA but it's the only way it will ever take firmware updates. If I don't perform those steps, downloading an update crawls along and it times out before complete. After a soft reset and reboot the download takes a few seconds and it will do the update.

Anyway, I tried that process while trying to update to 2.3.3.122 and found that the update download was still taking too long after the reboot. Tried it twice before checking and the soft reset hadn't worked! Then I remembered the email we got about updated Diagnostic Tool so I tried doing that. It spins the browser tab "loading" indicator for about 10 minutes and then comes back with:

{
    "success":true,
    "message":"No update for diagnostics tool available."
}

The diagnostic tool remains at the same version: 1.0.92. I'm trying the diagnostic tool update again but it's looking good.

Am I hosed? Is there any way for me to do a hub update without having to soft reset first?

Ok, so the good news is that the diagnostic tool update worked on the second go. At v1.0.97 now.

My question now is how do I do a hub upgrade without the 6 step process?

And found that the Diagnostic Tool was able to download the latest firmware (very slowly) and without the timeout error I get in the Settings UI. Guess I've answered both my questions!

Are you blocking something in your router? I have never had to do why you are saying and I don't know anyone else who does. It's a simple case of taking a backup (just incase) and hitting update and leaving it. Everything continues to work until it reboots and is applying the update (about 1-2 mins) during which time everything says in its current state. That's it.

1 Like

Mind me asking what kind of internet service you have and expected download speeds? I have seen similar issues with cellular or satellite internet.

1 Like

Is your network speed set to fixed on the hub? If so try setting it to auto and see if that helps...

2 Likes

Run http://your.hubs.ip.here/hub/cloud/updateDiagnosticTool endpoint to force diagnostics tool update. It will take a few minutes with zero feedback but will come back with a simple meaningful text response eventually.

Also, you shouldn't need to preemptively soft reset to update to a new version.

2 Likes

Hi @bobbyD,

Internet service is VDSL2 100Mbit, currently syncing at 119Mbit. Hub is connected via ethernet cable to a gigabit switch.

I don't believe there's a network problem. Downloading an update on Hubitat is slow unless I go through the process outlined.

Hi @rlithgow1,

Hub is currently set to " Fixed 100mbps". I can try changing that to "Auto negotiated" next time an update comes out.

Setting to auto negotiated will likely fix your slowness issue.

2 Likes

What switch is this connected to?

The Hubitat is connected to a HP ProCurve V1410-8G unmanaged Ethernet switch, which is connected to a HP ProCurve 1420-24G-POE+ switch, which is connected to a DrayTek Vigor 2860 router.

Thanks @rlithgow1, setting it to auto-negotiate did the trick. Updated to 2.3.3.123 the first go.

2 Likes

Some switches and devices have problems mixing auto and fixed. Usually its recommended to do 1 or the other. Though it's harder to keep track of in larger environments when you do fixed everywhere.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.