Offline after a power outage

I have to say this is one of the most annoying problems I have with smart home hubs! This is the reason I switched from Wink. When the power and internet come back on, the hub should reconnect and become functional again. The only solutions that I have seen are having a battery backup or a WiFi switch connected to Hubitat . I guess I don’t understand why thing don’t just work. It’s 2019 these hubs should not have these problems. Does anyone else feel like this? Or is there a real solution?

I have found that if you have any "unexpected" or "unplanned" shutdown, that you end up needing two reboots

• the first reboot gets the system up, but many things in networking, endpoints "kinda work".
  • if you give it a couple mins, then reboot (using the reboot function vs. a powerfail/crash), after this 2nd reboot you are typically "good to go".

Isn't this solved by a simple delay in the startup after a powerfailure "reboot"? I have the same problem with all my devices at home who are dependent on my NAS, since the NAS is the slowest to reboot, so for that I gave my devices a delay before starting whole the way until my NAS is ready. I can imagine not all parts of a network for HA are equally fast in booting.

Is there a way to shutdown the HE gracefully via a rule? I have a cheap relay that is hot glued to a phone charger and connected to the power on it. This relay goes to an input on my alarm panel. So, I can monitor when my power goes out.

Is it possible to set up a rule that will do a shutdown on the HE after 10 mins when the relay goes to open? My UPS lasts for about 15-20 mins, so 10 mins would be a pretty safe number. To take it further, I have a whole bunch of raspberry pi's hooked up to that UPS also, so if I could kick off an ansible playbook to halt them, that would be awesome. I've definitely run into corruption issues on the Pi's from power outages. The UPS does have a USB port that is plugged into my NAS, and that's about the only thing that does a controlled shutdown during a power outage.

Yes, you could make a rule with a http request and make the hub reboot. Just make sure it doesn't become a reboot loop :wink:

You don't want to reboot it though, you want to halt it. It's going to require a manual power cycle, but that's better than a corrupt filesystem.

You're right. A halt would do the trick, and then a delayed boot after power comes back on if you ask me.

I had a power outage the other day (planned maintenance in the area), and I'm still dealing with the repercussions. My Zigbee mesh is a mess. Crazy.

How would you do a delayed boot? I don't think that's possible.

No, that is not possible as far as I know, but might be a good feature for the HE.

You could do a delayed boot with hardware. Use a relay with a built in delay. Here is one they sell at Home Depot...
Delay on Make relay

You may be experiencing a situation where you hub wasn’t shutdown properly and your database is being restored. My hubs are shutdown automatically on power outages, see below, and they do come online automatically.

This web powered switch supports it. I bought it years ago because my “network” closet is under my stairs and has a small door and a pain to get into and it allows me to restart devices via web or http get interface. On bootup it does stagger each outlet by a defined setting. My fiber modem is first, then router, then APs and finally devices that depend on internet.

You might want to read this thread of mine:

@stephack and I both have a rule that will shut down the HE Hub(s) when the battery level of the UPS reaches a certain threshold. With my web power switch I can also shut down specific outlets too.