Off-topic rant about security

I was actually able to go to the device page, hit remove and while in exclusion mode exclude it. It worked and the device was removed. Was never able to get that device working. I grabbed another one and it worked fine. Thank you!

I actually am just getting a ring zwave repeater and moving on with life. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I struggled with these for a long while but they just make terrible zwave repeaters. They're fine when they work but when when things go sideways, they're worse than the zooz 4-1's.

2 Likes

Read this before you get the Ring repeater...

I love these things.. My opinion, they are the best repeaters right now.. And the battery backup is a great bonus, so your mesh doesn’t freak out when you loose power.

6 Likes

The coolest thing for me is that I can use them to detect a power outage.

I shut the hub down after about an hour (the hub is on a UPS).

1 Like

I also use one to detect power restore - I have a Zigbee strip light that turns on when power is restored...

My Hub is on a battery pack that is on a UPS... It should be good for a while... :wink:

1 Like

I put my first one in last week, and about 2/3 of my house routes through it now. Except for my $@!#ing Zen15 plug which is 10 feet from it and insists on routing through 3 other random devices in the house at 9.6 kbps no matter what I do. That thing is going to give me OCD.

I don't blame the Ring repeater for that, though. He's made all of my flakey devices rock solid. He's a good boy. Glares resentfully at the Zooz plug

3 Likes

I dunno why some devices like to hang on to bad routes but something aint right there - whether it's with the device or the hub or both. I get the same thing 9.6kbits throughput.

I've also had "ghost routes" where a device gets properly removed from the system and powered down but a device or two still shows as routing through it even after week or so.. the only way to clear it I've found is to exclude/include (maybe also reset).

I suspect it has something to do with the device being almost (or thinking it's) out of range and falling back to it's initial routing table. dunno though.

1 Like

The variance in Ring repeater experiences is frustrating - I heard great things, got one and then nothing in my home ever routed through it except one device, temporarily. Three different locations over weeks, and nada. Other folks reported similar results in another thread, but then other people get great results w/it. Voodoo magic must be involved...

1 Like

Routing, in general, is a mystery.

I'll have a device 10 feet from the hub and it will route through 1-2 devices on that are way out of the way.

@bcopeland has been getting deep into all this and seems to be improving things with each release. :crossed_fingers::crossed_fingers:

5 Likes

I use a divining rod to place my Ring repeaters. Seems to find the magic spots.

5 Likes

same here 3 rings.. only 1 device routing through one of them.. again having trouble with my outdoor mimo+ was working .. now intermittantly.. tried repair reboot. etc.. now ordered a 12vto 24v converter to try the qubino dry contact relay in its place... battery operated sensor on gate works fine no issues. the mimo+ on 12v battery not so much
i have an outdoor aeon 7 repeater that in test mode hits the mimo+ 10/10 on low power but the damn thing will NOT route through it ever..

1 Like

I have 5 Ring Repeaters and 12 of my 30 or so devices are currently routing through them. Haven't been dissapointed with mine.

Oh shut up.

:wink:

(But seriously, I do hate you just a little, tiny bit.)

2 Likes

I guess it is good I am not your neighbor. I would feel left out getting no Bread and Jam. :rofl:

The thing I find the most interesting is the repeaters closest to my hub handle the most devices. A Homeseer FC200+ and a Ring Gen 2 Extender both are 10 and 4 feet away from the hub respectively and have 4 and 6 devices respectively on them.

3 Likes

if you were his neighbor .. jam would be the operable word.. he would be putting his extenders and wifi near your house to jam your network with all your bragging.. lol

4 Likes

I had three ring S2 extenders and I just added two more yesterday to try to help with the back of my house.

Yesterday I had a total of 12 devices using two of the extenders.

Today I have a total of 11 devices routing through three of them. None of the new ones are being used yet.

I also have two older aeotec extenders. V6 I think. To my amazement, one is actually getting use for two devices today.

With these things I find a week is not enough to test. More like 2-3 weeks.

1 Like

Most of mine will start participating in a week to 14 days, but I had one that I put in a month ago just begin to work last night - now routing 5-6 devices...

3 Likes

Had mine for two months and nothing. Total slacker. Reminds me of me when I was 16. :wink:

Hank rules!!

2 Likes