Off-topic rant about security

And my HSM keypads are ring

Oh man, I had forgotten. I joined my Ring range extender w/out security. Is that why nothing wants to route through it?

2 Likes

It should route.. But it usually doesn’t do power outage notification without S2

4 Likes

I mean, that kinda means there are "fallbacks" in that S2 devices also support S0.

So okay, a device that ONLY supports S0 will just join S0, no prompt. And that's because of the SDK spec.

So the 4-in-1 supports S2, so it will prompt how to pair, you can uncheck them all, and it'll then pair as no security?

1 Like

And the range extenders don’t report often enough to worry about the overhead

1 Like

Damn...I still have absolutely nothing routing through it. $25 that I could have spent on root beer gone forever... [sniff]

3 Likes

Seems weird to me that Ring would release Zwave stuff when the Amazon Echo hubs are Zigbee...

1 Like

Let @bcopeland confirm, I have zero experience/knowledge of those devices, but if they follow behavior of my S2 devices, I would think that's correct.

I am having hit or miss luck with routing.. getting a few devices showing throughput as 9.6kbits - even if the connection from the Ring to the hub is 100kbits. Off the extender I get back to 100kbits speeds. It's funky. These are mostly non-S2 devices but definitely everything is paired unsecured.

1 Like

$99 for a 6-pack... wow. Might actually get me to replace all these Xiaomi contact sensors that are so friggin' temperamental....

They have been very reliable @staze

1 Like

The Zooz 4-in-1 does not support S2, but if it did, yes, you would see "the prompt." As-is, the 4-in-1 (ZSE40) supports S0, and there is no separate inclusion procedure for secure vs. non-secure pairing. A lot of S0-only devices can work around this issue in that way: press the button this way for non-secure pairing, press the button this other way for secure (S0) pairing. The Zooz sensor doesn't offer this option, but again, many other S0-only devices do. (For comparison, all S2 devices I've seen use the same procedure for either way--guessing this is a requirement or just a consequence of the fact that it doesn't really matter in the real world since you can choose when pairing.)

So, the only way to get them non-secure at the moment (reliably, at least--I have seen people manage to do it if they interrupt the pairing process by removing the battery, but that could just as easily result in a failed pair and a need to try again) is to use a secondary controller.

Some people have also asked Zooz if they could either add S2 or a separate procedure for secure vs. non-secure pairing. The former might require new hardware, but perhaps they could add the latter with a firmware update. Worth putting in a request to their (excellent) support team if this is important for you!

2 Likes

Thanks! This does answer question.

So I wonder if they’re currently S0 to my C5...

I also wonder if when Hub Protect happens, if they’ll come over in current state.

Will say, they seem to chew through batteries. Maybe that’s S0. :confused:

Yeah, them adding a non-secure option seems like the most likely.

Take a look on your Z-Wave details page, it'll tell you in the security column what security they're joined with.

not on C5... my C7 is waiting for Hub Protect migration.

But, my C5 is also set to only Locks and Garage Doors for secure join, so I'm guessing it's likely not S0 unless it forced it. It sounded like the S0 requirement was a 700 chipset change.

1 Like

That's correct - no way around on C7 - if a device is SO only, the C7 inclusion process will join it S0.

1 Like

No, not unless you selected "All Secure Z-Wave" instead of the default "Locks/Garage Doors Only" on your Z-Wave Details page on the C-5. But if you want to be extra sure, you can check for the absence of "isSecurePairingComplete: true" on the 4-in-1's device page itself under "Device Details."

2 Likes

Recently added two IRIS L2's to the network in my garage. I use a lot of them for zigbee and love them but never used them on Zwave because I really didn't need to and back in the day they weren't very awesome at it. I wanted to make the garage zwave network a bit stronger and these were already in there. However both of these have the latest firmware and 1 of them paired fine and is working great. The other paired and seems to be working...but nothing shows up in clusters:

Tried searching for what the heck this means...but no luck other than it's bad? Does it matter? It seems to be working.

I'm responding back to this for anyone else. I removed and re-added a few times, still no clusters. While re-adding I shut down the C7 and back on. I could never get it to populate the clusters. So I grabbed another outlet (I have a few I'm not using) and that one paired and worked fine. It's possible the one I grabbed I didn't update the firmware...but I was pretty sure I had updated all mine.

1 Like

The device is a “ghost” because it has no in, out clusters. You must remove it now or you will have problems. Power down the device that caused the ghost, keep hitting refresh until Remove appears, then remove. Then, for good measure, do a general exclude (put hub in exclude mode on Discover Devices page), do whatever you usually do to exclude the device, should get an “unknown device excluded” message. Wouldn’t hurt then to do factory reset of the device, do clean shutdown of hub, cut power to hub at the mains plug, not at the mini-USB power plug, which has weak mounting and could break off PC board, power up after 30 seconds, then start over with include of the device.