Off-topic rant about security

My radio seemed to be badly messed up. Over the past 2 weeks since I got the C7 and ran into Z-Wave issues fairly quickly I tried all kinds of things to get it to work - got nowhere.

So I think the message here is that if you have a messed up Z-Wave system, then before upgrading, shutdown the hub, then power cycle it and then upgrade. Sure, it wont do any harm and might just save you some time in the long run.

2 Likes

While it shouldn't be necessary - if you ever want to be SURE the radio is healthy, gracefully shutdown the hub and remove power for 30s.

That will make the radio fully power down and reboot. If there was anything hung up in it, that should clear it.

Now, that doesn't mean that whatever hung it up won't just do it again.... But at least you are starting clean.

3 Likes

Upgrade finished. Z-Wave Chip Firmware successful. Thank you gentlemen, appreciated! No issues after update.

1 Like

This kind of stuff is very difficult to replicate, so it's hard to find a cause/solution in many cases. Based on the description it's a graceful failure (the device is not rendered inoperable, and can return to use w/current radio, or to try again). That's a sign of good FW update fallbacks in place. So far they have all been reported eventually successful IRRC, which is much less severe than a failed update that results in a brick. I'd be more worried about putting out a hotfix that could cause additional issues... :slight_smile:

1 Like

That makes sense. It was the possibility of having the radio bricked that had me concerned, but so far updates have been going fairly smoothly from what I have been reading on the forums. And for the few who are seeing issues, it seems the rollback mechanism seems to be working well

1 Like

My firmware update is stuck at 73% for the last 15 minutes. What do I do?

C-7 hub update complete, FW no problem, cleaned up 7-8 failed node inclusion records BUT the rest won't go away peacefully. Gave it a few minutes, rebooted, several still won't go. Thanks for suggestions!

Did you do this by navigating away from the update page and using the shutdown button in the admin or was this just pulling power? Mine is stuck.

Looks like they are all S2 devices. Should be easy to track them down. Unpair, factory reset device, and then re-pair.

1m

The updated already rolled out today. I still have problems with the Inovelli fan + light switch, the off button doesn't turn off the fan, and I can't se all the configurations that the inovelli switch is capable of.

Another thing to add is that the switches don't work on the dashboard.

@JasonJoel that's exactly what I done before the successful update

1 Like

Shutdown in admin. Then pull the plug, wait a minute then power on again

Thanks for taking the time to help, Lewis. Unfortunately, those are phantom nodes that never fully included into the Z-wave. No physical switch.

Removing the device that failed even if it succeeded in another attempt should get rid of them.

Yikes! Now I have 4+ devices that are failed and I can't seem to get them back to being happy.

And, essentially NOTHING is responding now.

If you get it to the point no zwave devices are responding (for whatever reason), the best step is to gracefully shut down, remove power for 30s, and power back on.

1 Like

Yeah, doing that already. Again. Not really a good solution if it's an "every 30 min" thing like it's being now.

Don't know what to tell you there. I have not been having to reset/reboot my C-7, but I've been done adding devices for some time now. Just sitting there running mine has been stable.

I upgraded my C-7 (and C-5) to the new release. C-5 is working fine so far and the C-7 initially worked great. I added my Inovelli Fan/Switch combo with no problems. To test things out, I then excluded the device from the hub which was also successful. Then to test further, I did a Z-wave reset and then tried to add the device again. This is where problems started. It is back to doing the former z-wave initializing issue. So then I rebooted the hub and now it got worse. The hub will not boot to the GUI, but it accessible through the 8081 interface. I tried rebooting through that interface with no luck and tried a hard power cycle with no luck.

For s&g I tried to use the Safe Mode function and got the error: "Error: Request failed with status code 401."

Too true!

I must say I'm super impressed by how fast Hubitat addressed these blocking issues! My C7 hasnt even arrived yet (still stuck in an Aus Post sorting facility in Sydney) and this has been fixed! Noice! :sunglasses:

1 Like