Off-topic rant about security

Terribly frustrating, sorry to hear how it went. Just not fun at all.

One thought, HE staff is saying on C7 hubs to not do "global" Z-Wave repairs as matter of course, do individual repairs using the Repair button provided for each device.

Hope things improve for you.

Agree 100%, and I'm sure they agree. This stuff is obviously not simple, and they are working hard to improve the situtation. .142 did a lot of good, but clearly there is more work to be done.

It would certainly be useful to us to know more details about your problems. For instance, were your inclusion problems with a version before 142? Or are they still persistent with that release?

1 Like

I was able to solve my issues on .135 by doing a reboot before each inclusion (not doing this gave me ghosts after about 3 devices). To get rid of any ghost's I also rebooted and then they appeared in the z-wave list and I could hit repair, then remove once that button appeared.

I havent had any ghosts on .142 but I did still find a reboot prior to a few inclusions smoothed things along. Now that I've moved all 30 or so devices over, my C7 is working perfectly.

I've got some more devices (sirens and sensors for use with HSM) coming in a few days so we'll see how they go. I've also been pairing battery devices in the same room as the C7 and then moving them to their final location. Once there I do a repair on that device to find routes etc.

Following this process has been mostly trouble free.

True, but there are steps you can take to mitigate the issues during inclusion - once devices are included (and any ghosts taken care of) I've had stellar performance from my C7.

Before I started the transition I received the 8/13 email about the critical Z-Wave firmware update, before I had a single device on the system I installed 2.2.3 after which I enrolled the first 10 devices starting with Z-wave outlet modules, the next day I worked on the Z-wave bulbs and when 119 came out it was applied. A couple days later I started on the ZCOMBO smoke/CO detectors and had inclusion issues and "ghost" devices I was able to delete them and after a couple more days I moved onto the Dome water detectors and had a lot of issues with them. I decided to leave the Z-wave alone for a few days and worked on all the Zigbee devices. During this time 132 came out and it went from bad to worse had inclusion issues with all the remaining devices especially the HEM. After 132 the system worked but was slow and would show Zwave busy errors but for the most part the lighting schedules functioned. However the dashboard was slow or non-responsive and did not update correctly. In an effort to try and fix the inclusion issues I purchased 3 of the Aeotech extender 7's and put them into the system. I patiently waited for a fix and moved the HEM back to ST. Then 142 came out and it has caused more issues including the lighting schedules not working at all. When the system actually works an outlet module can take minutes to change state. I have moved the HE hub up away from all metal and the ST hub has been moved to the far end of the house in the garage.

The list of missing devices due to the inclusion issues is:

Device 80 is my last device, as I have stopped trying to add new devices.

Tonight when the Z-wave devices didn't turn on, the zigbee lights did but the dashboard did not update showing they had turned on, a reboot solved nothing I had to do a shutdown and leave the hub off for an hour.

After the power down the off schedules thus far have functioned

Tell me what other information I can provide to assist in resolving this

That's why I went the extra step and ordered not just a UZB7 (SLUSB001A) but also a ACC-UZB3-U-STA.

They are slated to arrive on Friday, I hope with them I can find a hidden ghost and be able to say I also have "stellar performance"

But I still stand by my statement that I shouldn't have to purchase these items to get the HE to perform correctly.

2 Likes

The uzb worked for me.

1 Like

OK, I've got my system running again with my C4 hub.

So my question is can I trust the quality of Hubitat software releases? Why is it acceptable for a software release to have such basic functionality issues? What kind of release testing process does Hubitat have? Is Hubitat really content for their users to take on the responsibility of testing these core functions?

Most importantly: what is the plan with respect to fixing the C7? Should I just send it back?

Given we are trusting the functioning of our homes to Hubitat I think it's reasonable to have some kind of explanation/reassurance. I've lost an entire day and I've still got more recovery setup to do.

@bravenel @bcopeland

Greetings,
I just received my new C4 Hub yesterday but after skimming thru all these issues I'm leery of installing it and having zero automation. I'd like to be able to update the new C4 before I begin factory resetting all my devices and adding them to the new Hub. Is it possible to add new C4 to my network (separate fixed IP) just to add all the updates before starting the task of moving things?
Thanks,
Dave

1 Like

Do you mean new C7? You can certainly add multiple hubs to your network each with their own IP address (ideally fixed but also ok otherwise) and move some devices over to the new hub (whether it be a C4, C5, C7).

@Angus_M Yes, it's a C7. Thanks for the input, I'll put it on the network (fixed ip).
Perhaps I should wake up a little more before typing :slight_smile:

2 Likes

@IslandMan54 if you do your hub software updates and radio firmware updates before you start including, most people have no issues.

3 Likes

@XLR8ED Can you get me the output of /hub/zwaveVersion on your C7?

We release and test every build internally first, then unless it is a small obvious hotfix we release to beta and then if it passes internal and beta tests we release.

3 Likes

I understand that a system based on integration with third party components is a complex and difficult thing to guarantee good coverage. But are there sufficient tests on the setup and pairing process with a wide enough range of devices?

Excellent news! Thanks for trying this out!

I will say other than my fan switch on my ZEN30 not reporting an on state correctly my migration to the C7 from SmartThings has been pretty smooth and I'm using a virtual switch to get around the fan reporting until it is acknowledged and fixed at some point.

We recently did a shake down, expansion, and streamlined feedback process for the beta program to try and address these issues.

We encourage anyone who could add value to the beta program to sign up:

3 Likes

When I accessed the hub for the 1st time, it advised me to perform an update, which I did. The current OS is 2.2.3.142.
When I attempted Z-Wave update, I got this message "Z-Wave Updater: Firmware is already up to date".
Am I good to go?

2 Likes