Off-topic rant about security

Reading all this I'm so happy that most of my devices are Zigbee... :mask:

Edit: oh, and that I didn't buy a C7 yet :stuck_out_tongue:

Wife unhappy about "all the broken stuff" so I rolled back from .135 to .119 on my C7 tonight. Automations and buttons that depend on Z-Wave are working again so she's happy for now. I'll have until tomorrow evening, when all the light automations become important to her again, to figure out my next move. It could innvolve finding a good hiding place. :wink:

Yeah. Then I get the "Never had any issues before all this technology".

Inclusions are still a challenge sometimes. One device is boom done. Others can take time expire and up to a minute later. I have a couple motions that will not include. But I have same types that included just fine ( Dome & zooZ). Hub C-7 is not in my circle of trust. Z-Wave is still unstable.

2 Likes

I’m in the same boat as you. I’ve had a C-3 since 2018 but since most of my devices are still on SmartThings and I want to migrate them off, I went ahead and purchased a C-7. I’m thinking about returning the C-7 hub (still unopened) and waiting this out, as I have lots of zwave devices and in-fact, favor zwave.

There's no other Zwave 700 hub available, so there's no true alternative to the C7. Don't return :pensive:

2 Likes

I've met some extremely talented and knowledgeable people through my correspondences with HE so am confident the issues will get sorted. Longstanding members of this community who are more experienced and connected than I also share this view and are working with the devs to try and resolve things as well.

The folks at HE care about their products and really want to provide the best experience they can given the resources they have.

However I totally understand the frustration for new users of the system.. it's a really tough situation for all. I wish I could offer advice other than "hang on"..

2 Likes

Some good news regarding the Inovelli red dimmers and S2 bootstraping

2 Likes

Very frustrating for everyone, I just want to get my C7's implemented so I can free up some of my day that is now spent following people around the house shutting off lights and explaining its like the old days...

1 Like

The good news is for me that Zwave devices are still showing up as okay on the Z-Wave details page, and working as of this morning, about 9 hours after rolling back to .119 last night.

And that's w/my ghost device still holding on. So on .119 i'm not getting Zwave completely locked up the way it does on .132/.135.

I'm going to stick with the 119 release for now.

Eh, sometimes my stuff shows unknown, sometimes OK, sometimes something else (have seen a few show failed that were working perfectly - that has only been 2x though). It really doesn't matter in the least / that is a really bad indicator of device health. 100% of my devices all work regardless what that status shows.

The busy messages in the log definitely do matter, though. As long as you don't have those (at least not continuously - occasional is OK), I would quit worrying about/looking at the zwave details page status unless you are having specific issues with a device(s).

1 Like

Yup - I had all devices (battery and mains powered) listed Unknown, and busy/busy/busy/busy Hub messages in the log... :slight_smile:

In the case of these recent FW releases and my mains powered devices, the 100% "Unknown" status in the Zwave Details page actually has accurately reflected the loss of communication and functionality.

Just glad rolling back is working for me so far.

Every broken analog 12h clock is right 2x/day too... Doesn't mean it is a useful indicator of the time. :slight_smile:

Oh man, you had to pull that one out, didn't you... :wink:

1 Like

To be fair the zwave device status is better than a broken analog clock - but not by that much.

And that is how it has always been on every hub - it is an API thing. That's why a lot of hubs (especially ones that didn't go for certification - although I don't know that exposing this data is required in the cert process) don't expose that data. It simply isn't reliable/accurate enough for general use.

Now, it CAN be made useful with additional work by the hub - poll/ping on some devices, different backend for battery devices, etc. But that is a lot of work to just make a diagnostic screen a little more correct.

I would rather Hubitat work on other things, like more control over device and hub routes. (oh, and fixing the busy messages/queue lockup/whatever)

2 Likes

im still on 2.2.2 after rolling back.. but with 90+ devices 3/4 zwave.. been up 4 days now no issues. Ive had to restore a couple of times.. I get on every so often and see if the stupid hub logs show busy and also make sure the zwave log shows messgaes for my couple of polling switches.. Then i am happy things are still working.. Hopefully when everything stabalizes I wont have to be so anal and monitor it so closely lol.

2 Likes

Yup, my 70+ zwave device C-7 hub is running great. I still double check the logs daily though.... At least for now.

2 Likes

My best monitor is my wife...she pushes a button or enters a room and nothing happens, and boy do I get a notification.

10 Likes

A few questions for you :slight_smile:

Are you on the latest version of HE?
Did you have any ghost nodes before upgrading?
Did your Zwave devices go unresponsive post upgrade?
Do you have any guidance to make things stay working on the C7?

• I am on newest release, have been since day 1 including all of the beta releases.
  • I've never had a ghost node. This is key, too, as the ghosts are what is killing peoples zwave functionality in my estimation. Although that is speculation - I have no data to prove that.
  • My devices never go unresponsive "*"
    • "*"I have been able to make zwave unstable on the hub before through manual actions like running many zwave repairs or doing other diagnostic functions repeatedly like version reports. So I choose not to do that now.
  • Guidance? Have to fix the ghost problem. That is #1 and anything else is secondary until that is done. After that, stop running zwave repairs unnecessarily / run device repairs only as needed on individual devices. Try to avoid a lot of diagnostic/management traffic like version reports, etc. Get your devices paired and then leave the zwave side alone. :slight_smile:
6 Likes

Do you have any S0 or S2 entities that send unsolicited messages?