Odd 6-8 sec delay after motion trigger

When I walk into my office there is a 6-8 sec delay before the lights turn on. It's a super simple setup: 1 GE Zwave wall switch, 1 Ecolink PIR. I use the motion app in Hubitat.

First I thought maybe a Zwave issue so I did some trouble shooting. When I have live logs running on my phone and walk into the office, I immediately see the log entries that the PIR triggered, thus not a PIR - Hubitat issue with Zwave. I next used the dashboard and it immediately turns the lights on and off, so not a hubitat- wall switch issue with Z wave. I'm on 2.1.4.130 BTW

I attached the log file of the event.

Any ideas???

• Eric
    PS The log shows some duplication - there is 1 PIR, 1 office wall switch, and 1 rule in the motion app. This particular switch and PIR are not used by any other apps or rules.

What model of GE switch do you have and what driver are you using for it? Also, you can control the Z-wave switch fine from the edit device page?

When you first started out, before walking into the room, what was the state of the GE switch on the edit device page. It is reading like it thinks that the switch is already on so that's why motion lighting isn't trying to turn it on again. You might have an issue the the driver that the switch is using, depending on whether it's a Z-wave Plus model or just a Z-wave one. So, report back on Model numbers and which driver you're using and see what the device reads on the edit device page before you try triggering the rule.

Thanks for the reply!

It's a Jasco 14292, so Z wave plus. The lights were off before the motion sensor tripped.

On the devices page the switch correctly shows the state as "off". As far as I can see the devices page does correctly show the state of the switch when off or on.

This delay from the motion trigger occurs everytime, btw.

The driver is just the "generic Z wave smart switch"

I agree that it seems the app thinks the switch is on, so it doesn't do anything but a few seconds later it tries to turn them on. Almost like some sort of previous work around in the code for when the state isn't correctly known.

Any thoughts?
-Eric

There is a community driver for these GE, I have been using it and it seems pretty solid. It gives you double tap and other options that aren't available in the built-in driver. Maybe try that and see if it makes a difference?

Is this setup new or did the issue just start after updating firmware? A number of us noticed slow Z-Wave after upgrading to 2.1.4.x, not sure if this is related?

https://community.hubitat.com/t/upgraded-and-now-very-slow/21775

I've been having many different issues since the upgrade. I also have a motion sensor in my kitchen. When triggered it turns on two lights both lights have GE Z-Wave switches. If I walk from my living room to the kitchen 99% of the time the motion sensor triggers lights on instantly. When I walk out to the garage and come back to the kitchen 10 minutes later I see the light come on on the motion sensor but the lights don't come on. Looking at the log habitat is saying lights on lights don't turn on until about 30 to 45 seconds later.

sometimes just one light will come on and the other one will come on 30 to 45 seconds later but most of the times neither one come on.

It's not clear why there are two motion active events back to back. Does this device always do that?

It's interesting that the app reports turning on the light about 160 msecs after the motion event, but the device 8 seconds later. The duplication in the logs from the app is due to the double motion active event, just the app responding as it should (not turning on for the second event).

I didn't see the answer to the question about how the light responds from its device page. Does it come on instantly from there?

Yes, very odd!

• The device comes on instantly from the devices page!
  • It is a new Ecolink zwave motion sensor and has always double reported. I have the same model on another hub and it does not double report.

To answer a few other trouble shooting questions

• the motion and switch are a new addition so I'm not sure how they worked on an older version of Hubitat.
  • I can't try the community driver since it is a Zwave switch and the only community driver I found was for the dimmer. (I did try it and no luck)

And the plot thickens a bit
On different hub I used the motion app with a Hue motion PIR and a Jasco zwave plus switch. Sometimes on THAT hub things work and sometimes they don't. - again issue is with the switch. When they don't work, the logs says the switch is ON but the device page correctly shows the switch as off. But on THAT hub there is no odd delay, just sometimes it won't work at all.

So I excluded the PIR, and started over. The log file always shows 2 identical motion entries for the Ecolink PIR. I have the same model on a different hub there are NOT two entries, both using the same generic driver and both on the same hubitat firmware. Really wierd!!! I wonder if it is a driver issue??

dev:1012019-09-11 10:47:01.334 am infoOffice3 is inactive

dev:1012019-09-11 10:47:01.323 am infoOffice3 is inactive

dev:1012019-09-11 10:43:36.943 am infoOffice3 is active

dev:1012019-09-11 10:43:36.943 am infoOffice3 is active

I continue to troubleshoot. I swapped my Ecolink motion sensor with a Philips Hue (corrected to Hubitat directly, not via Philips Hub). Everything works fine and lights turn on right away.

This strongly leads me to believe that the chatty Ecolink motion sensor is causing the delay. Hubitat doesn't like the two motion triggers milliseconds apart and it causes a delay before the motion rule is triggered. Any ideas????

I've gotten a few of them that are doing exactly what yours are and came to the conclusion that the device itself is faulty.

Replaced the bad ones with new ones and no issues since. It seems that some of the Z-Wave radios in the Ecolinks are just faulty.

I have 2 of these acting this way. @bravenel very kindly came up with a work around for me the other day, but now I believe the 2.1.5 release has updated drivers for generic motion sensors that they say should fix this double reporting issue. I am camping and haven't had a chance to try it yet, but hope things will be fine now.

Edit: updated to 2.1.5.121 and all my motion and contact sensors are behaving themselves. Before I was getting lots of multiple events. @eric4 and @corerootedxb, I suggest that if you have any of those Ecolink motion sensors, they will probably work fine with the Generic Zwave Motion driver now.

1 Like

Nice! Where I have mine, they don't get much traffic, so they only go off maybe once or twice a week at most. But, I'll scan the logs and see if they are acting right.