Nuki Smart Lock Pro 4th generation with Matter

Nuki new device 4th gen support Matter, I tried adding it to my Hubitat c8 but it doesn't seem to see it, anyone managed to make it work?

Locks are still not supported in Hubitat via the Matter protocol at the moment.

Hopefully, there will be either system inbuilt driver or custom drivers soon.

1 Like

Only because I haven't gotten one in hand yet.. Does anyone have a link to purchase one?

3 Likes

Nuki locks are popular brand in Europe :

Amazon .de : (link)

1 Like

Ah.. Nice .. It's a retrofit lock..

1 Like

There website if it can help, they are really nice products

nuki .io

Do you have your Nuki lock already working via Apple Home or Google Home or Alexa as a Matter device?

No, I'm using Nuki app to control my Nuki lock and only use Hubitat hub, no other hubs

Did you manage to pair it successfully in Hubitat?
You must enable the Matter support from the Nuki app and then type in the Matter code manually in HE ( Add Device -> Matter).
The default 'Device' driver should be selected automatically (it has no functionality for the lock, just an indicator that the pairing is successful).

Uh.... I think that you will need at least one other Home Automation system that is capable of commissioning Matter devices. The other system (Apple, Google, Alexa, etc..) will use BlueTooth for the initial commissioning. Only after that you can pair the lock to Hubitat, using the Matter pairing QR code that is generated from the other system (not the QR code that comes with the lock!).

Nuki Lock 4th Generation uses Thread for communication. So you need one of the Apple/Google/Alexa hubs to act as a Thread Border Router (TBR).

That kills the purpose of Matter for connectivity standard :slightly_smiling_face:
In your opinion, do you think this might be working in Hubitat without the need of another hub?
Trying to avoid adding hubs with cloud into my home.

I'm buzzing about the 4th gen but I need to get the one with the union adaptor and key.

https://www.ultion-lock.co.uk/ultion-nuki/

Unfortunately they only sell the red gen one currently which I'm not interested in.

Anyone know where I could just buy the adapter and key?

You have got slightly the wrong end of the stick I'll try and make it clear.

Hubitat is a matter controller but not a thread boarder router.

So you need one of those as this device is battery so will just be a end device. There are loads of thread boarder routers out there not necessarily "hubs" you may already have one. For example my nest max display has one in.

Currently Hubitat hub doesn't have the Bluetooth capability to do the security link to matter so because of that you need to use a different app.

This can be one of the big 3 so Google home, apple home kit or Amazon. Once it's connected though these apps can provide you with a code and that is what hubitat uses to join the device.

2 Likes

I understand now :slightly_smiling_face: thank you.
I don't know what's technically possible, but I thought maybe a work around might be possible using a phone Bluetooth with an improved Hubitat App or something...
I personally don't have such devices right now, but if I understand well, after going through the process with a thread boarder router, and ones connected using the code provided, from there I can simply use Hubitat with my Matter devices or the router/hub is still needed for communication?

Yes I believe this is the plan they have. However you would still need another device with a thread broader router built-in.

Depends on the device if it's a matter over WiFi device then yes. Because your home router is the "hub" for it.

However with a thread device you always need something that can translate Ethernet/ or wifi to thread.

Thread is better with battery devices but your need the routers and boarders routers just like you do with Zigbee

2 Likes

I have several Thread devices now, using two different hubs as TBR - HomePod Mini and Zemismart M1 bridge. All thread devices (only the Aqara P2 contact sensor is battery-powered) are working very reliably!

2 Likes

Thank you guys, I'll do some more reading based on your info and see what suits my needs, thanks a million

2 Likes

@bcopeland I have my Nuki V4 now joined via nest hub max and thread then joined to HE through matter link. Do we have any matter drivers we can try?

1 Like

Hi, I'm wanting to get one of these on a euro lock door in the UK. I have a nest hub max and use both Google Home and Hubitat.

I've previously installed a Yale lock with a Zwave module ok directly into Hubitat but am unsure of the process and usage of this.

Ideally I would want to install and use directly with Hubitat - what method is used to connect it and what process is followed?. Is this possible? Or would is it necessary to expose it to Hubitat via Google Home using virtual buttons?

I've installed a matter plug switch with success via matter to Hubitat so am familiar with that process.

Thanks in advance

mine is joined to this.

it will be but not yet as there is just no matter lock driver yet.

join to google home hub max then get matter code to share to HE.

as said waiting for driver to enable it

Thanks for the fast reply - so sharing the matter code with HE means it will be connected but not controllable (until drivers are available)?

Is there a crude way to control it in Hubitat using Google Home? Expose a virtual switch from Hubitat and use an automation in GH to turn on/off the switch each time the door is locked/unlocked? Or unlock/lock the door each time the switch is turned on/off?

Sorry if this is obvious - just trying to make sure I have fully explored options so I do not waste money/time