NST Manager ported to Hubitat

The device name was different than the native drivers.
My apologies.

Thanks!

Has anyone been able to use the driver/app to display video on a dashboard (using, perhaps, the Video Player template)? I've been able to display a still without issues. Thanks for any direction you can provide!

[I've also been exploring using Homebridge to display nest camera video but have struggled to get FFMPEG-OMX properly installed on my RPi.]

Is there an option in NST Manager to tell the thermostat to turn on the fan, either manually or based on conditions? My office routinely gets warmer than the rest of the house and I would like to cycle on the Nest fan mode for a few minutes when the temp reaches a certain threshold only in the office so that it pulls air in from the return in a cooler part of the house. I do this manually when I am in the office using the Nest app but it would be nice to automate this function.

There is a fanCirculate automation in the automations for nest manager.

That may do what you want.

There is always the option also of using webCoRE or RM to turn on the fan via a thermostat device (setting the fan to on (fanOn command to thermostat)). Nest by default leaves the fan on for 20 mins or so and then automatically turns it off.

You can turn it off sooner by sending the fanAuto command.

Thanks. I set a rule using. Rule Machine. Will see if that accomplishes what I want.

The next issue I have is dealing with the home and away states of the thermostat and Nest camera rules. I see a Nest Presence device in the NST Manager but I am not sure how it works. I passes this device through to Homebrige and I see it in Apple Home but we are not home and I see the status of that device shows as triggered. Ideally I would like to set the thermostat to home and away based on status of a virtual switch which I would pass to HomeKit and it would be on or off automatically based on whether my Honeywell Lyric alarm is set in HomeKit. Of course if I can get the alarm into Hubitat even better. I am curious how others control the state of their Nest thermostat.

The presence device tracks Nest's view of home/away. It also has commands to change nest's home away state.

So Nest's home away status may not track your own physical status. If you enable Nest's home/away assistant, it may "somewhat", but nest's updates of presence is slowed/delayed . Many folks do not use nest's home away assistant if they are doing home automation (it really is not an accurate presence sensor).

So if you have a virtual switch that you set for being home/away, the nMode automation (part of this app) can track the switch (or it can based on your presence, or a switch, or tracking HE location.mode settings)

So if you installed the automations, file, you will find this automation in NST Manager.

See:

http://thingsthataresmart.wiki/index.php?title=NST_Manager#Nest_Mode_.28Home.2FAway_Automation.29

Ok, makes sense except I did not see an option to set the thermostat to away status in Rule Machine. Do I just need to device an away temp and set it accordingly? It would be nice to be able to set it to away as my outdoor notification settings could change as well.

In Rule Machine 3.0, you can now add an Action for a device using the “Custom Action”. This allows you to pick any of the commands a device exposes. Try the following action... (I have not tested the particular custom action, it it should work fine.)

if you want to set away I suggest you use the presence device vs. the thermostat. Either way they will propagate to all the other devices, but you want to send the command once vs N times (to avoid hitting Nest rate limits).

The nMode automation will likely do what you want if you just enable it, and point it to your virtual switch.

There are many ways to do this depending on your preferences...

1 Like

Yeah this is how I do it, I used to use custom commands now I use custom actions. I send it to the presence device and it works perfectly. Set it to away on my away modes and home when in a home mode. @techbri No parameters need leave them blank, they will look like Home() and Away ()

2 Likes

@nh.schottfam Do any of the API calls have air filter information aka the last time it was changed?

Not that I have seen

https://developers.nest.com/reference/api-overview

So I take it their app doesn't use the public APIs. Does this project do everything through the public APIs only then? If so, can a public API key be used to authenticate to the private calls?

If you don't know that's okay. I'll start kicking the tires and see if I can figure it out.

Nest APIs are "public" and are oauth2 protected. This is described in their developer documentations. NST manager uses oauth2.

Just wanted to let anyone who didn't see the announcement know the following:

https://www.the-ambient.com/news/works-with-nest-shut-down-google-assistant-1583

1 Like

Yea I didn't want to ask the obvious questions but is NST Manager using what will be discontinued? I'm not overly invested in this as I just have the doorbell cam, but I really want to get person detection working like a normal motion detector.

Will assistant relay be our only way in after this?
Sorry if you don't know, or care, the level of care is relatively low after this move by Google on my end. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

NST will be completely dead. I'm pretty sure the method that Assistant relay uses will also get closed up too.

1 Like

:dizzy_face: Oh my!
It will be tumbleweed and dusty saloons for a while then.
Luckily the user base is so large somebody will figure something out.

Time to start researching locally hosted person detection that I can do on my own server...

1 Like

For many years I have shy'd away from trying to fully invest into the Google ecosystem. The last couple of times I have tried, I ran into many issues (Google Home/Nest Home doesn't work with legacy Google Family/Apps accounts or programs being discontinued on a whim). With this change, I'm completely done with the Google integration ecosystem. Aside from my Android phone and google services, I'm not investing much else into anything that they provide and will be replacing my Nest 2nd Gen's with something else (I was going to upgrade to either 3rd gen or the Nest E, but now I will not). I was just getting ready to start doing the NST integration the day before I/O and now, come September it will most likely not work the way I wish to use it. The whole point for someone like myself is to have an integrated home that can work intelligently. Google just killed that one.

2 Likes