NST Manager ported to Hubitat

thx for the report, this should be fixed now

thnx. That's a quick fix. :+1: :grinning:

Haha, I got the “oops” error. Guess I’m SOL, read through the whole thread before I found out Google isn’t playing nice anymore. I even did a support chat with Nest; you’d think they would have said, but they just kept me hanging for half an hour and said “Hubitat isn’t a supported device”. Oh well, at least I learned how to install user drivers and app code, this was my first try.

I’m noticing a trend, Wink bellies up, wants a subscription, MyQ would like to charge you 25 cents each time you cycle a garage door outside of their native app (mild hyperbole), and Google has decided Nest is too not-google for Google’s liking. Feels like the days of every gizmo out there having the philosophy “yeah, we can integrate with that” have come crashing to an end. :cry:

Is there any light at the end of the tunnel for nest integration? I have a working NST integration but have added a couple cameras and the $6/month flat fee is appealing and that requires a transition to a google account.

The WWGA enthusiast API is supposedly coming end of 2020.

Am I wrong in saying that they have consistently missed the dates that they set out for the smart home API releases?

Yes. The only date they've set is this one or none at all.

BTW, for reference. I still had the tab open so I'm posting it before I close it. Dates are near the bottom of the page.

1 Like

so i signed up for access for a personal account. does this mean i may one day be able to do this integration?

When nest provides API access, it will be possible to assess both the API and what integrations this allows for HE. It is not possible at this point to comment as there is so little data available from google. I look forward to google making more information available.

Any idea why a new thermostat wouldn’t show up in MST manager? When we moved I added several devices to my nest account and they are all available except the new thermostat. If my thermostat won’t come over I’m going to switch to a google account and the new nest aware subscription.

Assuming everything is otherwise working, go into NST Manager and hit "done", then see if the thermostat is visible.

I don't know if Google switched your account to a google one (and broke NST Manager for you)

I am still using my nest login and old credentials for NST Manager.

This is interesting, when I first open NST manager the thermostat is shown.

When I go to Manage/View devices the thermostat is unavailable

And the thermostat is not listed as a device.

Is this still the best way to integrate a nest thermostat that has not migrated to google?

Nest (google) is not enabling any further access to their API. So if you have access (done before August last year), this should continue to work so long as you do not revoke your token or switch your account.

I have heard some folks say that new devices they add to their account don't show up in the api...

If you do not have access already, or revoked it, you are SoL until google provides api access. As folks mentioned in this thread, they may do it this year, but in the end no one (likely not even google) knows the real plan yet.

This is from the company "don't be evil"...so much for following their own creed.

For those of you that still have nst manager working, there is updated code here that fixes a few issues.

For those without valid tokens - no news - still waiting to see what google does for api access.

1 Like

What needs a update?

Wondering if you've looked into this solution for API access?

There's this one as well with home assistant:

And I know a guy on ST has one but he charges like $25 for access to it.

The challenge is finding a dev with the time and desire to dissect these and build a new one for HE.

1 Like

I have seen both of these. Given that google is supposed to come out with something this year, it does not appear to be worth getting into an arms race with them on APIs. They can cut off / change an api at will....

Hopefully they will meet their 'word' on delivering something appropriate.