[NOT MAINTAINED] Advanced Honeywell T6 Pro Z-Wave Thermostat Driver

This sounds like potentially the path forward. It would be good to hear from @bcopeland if he's stepping back. In the other thread I linked to he made it sound like he was going to make the change to resolve the problem w/setting heat/cool points, so maybe at the same time he can accept the PR.

Yep one of them actually contains 2 commits:
Prevent bad values from humidity sensor
and also
Add extra spaces in front of SET_THERMOSTAT_FAN_MODE Map

I don't think the Home/Away changes from jkenn99 were in a pull request.

1 Like

PR: Add presence commands by jkenn99 · Pull Request #14 · djdizzyd/hubitat · GitHub

Hoping for some insight here. I have the driver installed and I am able to see the current temp and mode, current set point and have options to change the function, fan state and set point. However, I am unable to change mode, fan setting or set point. Any idea what I missing?

-Seamuis

We're about to convert our heating system to multi-zone. There would be 1 hard-wired Honeywell T6 thermostat, and I'd like to use two more as battery powered devices. Our heating contractor is unfamiliar with the Z-Wave side of things, and I'd like to know if anyone is using a (or several) Honeywell T6 Pro Z-Wave Thermostat(s) under battery powered in a multi-zone (multi-thermostat) setup?

[Feel free to move this to the Lounge or elsewhere if it's too far off topic from the thread on the driver]

@bcopeland needs to update the driver - not working for some settings if joined w/security ...

So until then use the built-in Honeywell driver:

1 Like

I have two zones, both powered, though.

There shouldn't be any difference in how they pair with Hubitat, except a battery powered T6 Pro won't act as a repeater in the Z-wave network.

I have an upstairs and downstairs zone. One T6 I named "Upstairs" and the other I named "Downstairs." They each are separate devices, and I have two tiles in my dashboard, one for each, and I have two apps for thermostat scheduling, one labeled "Thermostat Scheduler: Downstairs" and one labeled "Thermostat Scheduler: Upstairs". They get treated independently in my rules, etc, just like having two different switches or outlets.

That's what I believe too. However, Honeywell tech support has given the heating contractor a different answer (or that's what he understood, not being familiar with home automation), which is why I'm looking for feedback from people who are using a battery-powered Z-Wave T6 thermostat in a multi-zone configuration.

I think your heating contractor doesn't know what he's talking about. These also function without pairing to a Z-wave network just fine. That's all my contractor was worried about. (Of course I had them paired, set up, and working from my dashboard and scheduler before he finished cleaning up. He seemed a bit impressed by the automation.)

All the settings in this advanced driver are worth discussing with the contractor. I ended up reducing my Cool 1 CPH to 1 (I think default was 3) to do a better job of dehumidifying. There are a lot of Installer Set Up options you can change with this.

2 Likes

Hey All,

I ran into a problem with the Preferences not being read correctly. I have 2 Honeywell T6 Pro Z-Wave's (upstairs / downstairs). I already setup the thermostats before connecting to Z-Wave. I installed the driver, then switched from the built in driver to the advanced driver. I clicked "Configure" and waited a couple of minutes to pull in data.

Equipment Type is showing High Efficiency Gas where I have a Air to Air Heat pump. Also Idle Brightness is set to 0, where I have it set to 1. I've verified in the menus that:

• 200 System Type - Heat Pump
  • 205 Equipment Type - Air to Air
  • 1401 Idle Brightens - 1

If I "Save Preferences" in the Advanced Driver with the wrong data it read in "Configure", it does indeed overwrite the existing settings.

Once set the Preferences correctly, and save them, subsequent click of "Configure" does look like it reads properly.

Have others experienced this issue? This occurs on both the thermostats.

I don't believe this driver works properly with the z-wave stack on the C-7 model (if that's the version of Hubitat you have).

It looks like I have the C-5 model

There are some small issues on c5 mentioned in this thread above.
I'm using built-in driver without issues.
Author of advanced driver is working for Hubitat as employee so he can't really fix non essential for fun built driver issues.

Hmm I never noticed that, since I went through and checked all the settings on the device page before clicking "Save Preferences." It might have been wrong...

So if you go change any ISU options on the thermostat now, do they get reflected in the device? I suppose I could try that... I've never changed options other than through HE.

@bcopeland - Are you going to be updating the driver to resolve the connection w/security issue discussed above? And at the same time will you be accepting the PR from @0a14d93b5d4f31034e0d above?

Yes, I have a c-5 also and am having this same issue of my prefereces being overwritten. I tried setting the default parameters in the driver to the set-up I need thinking that maybe the driver was overwriting with the defaults, but no luck. Still ended up with preferences magically changing back to those used during initial set-up. I've gone back to the standard driver as I'm tired of waking up with it 25 deg. F outside, 53 deg. F in my bedroom, and the O/B valve energized (AC position).

@bcopeland Hi, I just installed my Honeywell Thermostat T6 and was hoping to use your advanced driver, just saw this post suggesting it may not be compatible with my C-7 hub. Can you confirm whether your driver will work with this thermostat/hub and if not whether you have any intention of updating the driver in the near future.

Many thanks.

It's actually not my driver, it was created by Bryan Copeland, one of the HE staff and Z-Wave wizard. As far as I know it has not been updated to deal with thermostats that are joined with security S2. If You haven't joined your thermostat with security then the advanced driver should work. If you have joined your thermostat with security then you want to use the standard TO built-in driver.

1 Like

Thanks for that information. Being new to HE I’m not sure what you mean by joining without security. How do I do that? At the moment it’s working with the inbuilt device but I’d like to use the advance driver if possible.

I did include Mr Copeland’s name in that post so I’m hoping he will be able to confirm his intentions with regard to a future drive update to work with the C-7 hub.

Look at your Z-Wave Details page, find the T6, and see if there is any entry in the Security column (where mine says "None"). Mine looks like this:

If yours says S2 then you're joined w/security and you cannot use the advanced driver. Bryan said it needs an update to work w/devices joined w/S2 and AFAIK he hasn't had time to make that update.