Node-Red

are there an video guides that anyone has seen for hubitat/nodered?

Now this is for Home Assistant.
But I can't imagine it being much different for however you've got HE integrated with Node-Red.

Edit: Also there's a nice custom component for bringing Hubitat devices into Home Assistant, which is how I run everything lately.

1 Like

To do what, exactly, with Hubitat in node-red?

There is the Hubitat node set (another thread in here on that topic), there is manual maker API integration, there is manual event socket integration...

It is a big topic with a lot of permutations.

1 Like

I was looking for a visual way to build rules

I've used Node Red on Home Assistant on a Pi. It's absolutely superb in terms of visualising the logic flow and cut/copy/paste of nodes and flows. But I did find the message passing concept of it a it hard to understand and get to grips with.

If there was a Hubitat app that worked like Node Red visually and in terms of editing but with all the command options of Rule Machine that would be the perfect solution I reckon. I know that can sort of be achieved by using Node Red on another machine and linking devices via MQTT or such, but I tried that and found it got way too complicated and its another machine you need to backup/sort out a ups for etc etc.

2 Likes

I much prefer doing my logic in node-red over RM. Although RM is super impressive as an app - I certainly couldn't make a better one.

Sometimes I do it in node blocks, but just as often I define the input/output in node blocks and then do the logic in a function node w/JavaScript.

I just prefer it that way as it makes editing SUPER fast and I can copy/paste at will.

I use NodeRED a lot it has really great plugins and it's also really well integrated with MQTT. I like the visual flow approach and perhaps RM might be able to leverage 'Blockly' or similar.

However with a lot of flows in NodeRed , and inparticular with a lot of nodes in one displayed flow it can quickly get messy and confusing. I try and use as many segmented flow tabs as possible..

This for example is just one tab/flow handling my boiler 7 segment LED display decoding to numeric (decimal)

2 Likes

Yikes!

1 Like

Yikes indeed!

Sometimes this stuff gets complicated!

1 Like

I just took the plunge to node-red and for the life of me I can’t find how to setup the configuration node. I don’t see it in the list of nodes in the pallet.

What am I missing?

@csteele has a great introductory video which includes how to configure the Hubitat nodes for node-red. I'm tagging him with the request to make it public soon - it's really nice, and has step-by-step directions to setup the Hubitat nodes.

1 Like

Ok, here you go...

A Node-Red Introduction for Hubitat Owners

And I made it it's own Topic:

5 Likes

When you add the HE Nodes to the palette edit the device node and you will see the "server" entry.. click on the pencil on the right - it should bring up the Edit Hubitat Node Config node editor...

2 Likes

Can someone help me create a flow in node red that does this?

I’m having issues figuring out how to turn off the light with no motion on 2 sensors only after X minutes

and yes. I know I have a working rule, but I am using this as a way to learn node red

I posted a pic of a flow almost exactly like that in the main node-red thread yesterday. It just didn't have a lux switch node on the "on" branch, but that would be easy to add.

I wasn’t aware there was a main thread. THANKS!

cant access my node red how do i get to the dashboard i know how to use node red

Dashboard should be http://YOURIPADDRESS:1880/ui

1 Like

maybe also port 1880 if using the default..

http://[yourip]:1880/ui
1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.