Node-Red

This looks interesting. Apparently people are using this for programming home automation devices:

https://nodered.org/

Anyone using this here?

1 Like

This is on my to-learn list. I have a friend that swears by it and from what I've read, it's seems like an awesome addition to HA especially if you are using a Rpi in your mix. Simply haven't had the time or need (yet) to dive into that rabbit hole. I'm still lost in a few others at the moment.

2 Likes

Used it when trying to use Home Assistant.
It was nice but not as obvious as WebCoRE.
I guess I just didn't think the way it was displayed.

I've installed it on a Synology NAS using Docker, but that is as far as I have gotten from a hands on standpoint. I'm not very good with these things. The few video tutorials I have attempted to view seem fixated on using it to filter out Twitter posts and compile them into a database. I'm not sure why anyone would want to do that, but perhaps I am missing something.

I use it to query my ubiquiti controller for mac addresses that I use for presence.

I have spent some time with it. It is like tasker for your pi. Very easy interface where you string together what you want. I use it for my broadlink. There is some cool stuff to be done with Alexa as well.

I use it extensively for mapping and translating MQTT topics between devices. Plus there are a lot of interesting and useful add in nodes for it.

Node red and RESTful API's are big in the cottage IoT industry. They solve a lot of interoperability problems.

Care to share how you’re doing this?

There is a Unifi node that you can install. My setup is a little convoluted but works for my purpose. The basic setup is I set a timer in node red to query the controller every X seconds to pull all the MACs connected to the controller, from there I compare a list of MACs I'm watching, any MAC not in the list is marked as Away via a webcall using webcore but I just saw one that is built for HE called http-presence if I remember correctly.

Edit: I need to add that I also have a Fingbox that works in tandem with the node-red setup. The fingbox detection is quicker to set devices to present since it can 'see' devices when they're in range.

1 Like

I use it for more complex automation for Hubitat and also to integrate Hubitat, Blue Iris and Home Assistant. This way Home Assistant is my UI and also handles any device where Hubitat doesn't have an integration.

Hubitat and Node Red connect via the OOB Maker App on Hubitat and Web Socket for events. My Node Red flow discovers devices by polling the Maker API endpoint every 5 minutes, connects to the websocket endpoint on Hubitat for the event stream, and then uses the Maker API endpoints to execute commands.

This is mainly to integrate MQTT with Hubitat, but then Home Assistant and Blue Iris also connect to MQTT and they all work together.

I want to look into wiring into hub link to automatically add devices registered on MQTT to HE, but haven't had the need yet. Hubitat has most of my devices and I can use Node Red if I have to automate across all systems.

2 Likes

Hub Link does MQTT?

Wait, websocket endpoint for events? Is this documented somewhere?

No, I'm talking about using node red to integrate MQTT with the web based integration of hub link. Haven't looked into it to see if it would work, but could always just create an App to manage things with Virtual Devices if that didn't work.

There was a community post several months back where someone called it out, and I've seen it mentioned a few times, but it's not documented.

I found that a lot of the app-based integration options added latency for safety or slowed the hub down over time. I figured I could add a little complexity with nodered, but use it to do a lot of the heavy lifting and get a lot in return.

I use a hassio VM running on my NAS for simplicity and ease of management. That has nodered, Mqtt and influx db containers running. I also get data streamed into influx from Hubitat this way.

I've got a nodered project for the whole thing, I'll look into making it public. It's definitely in the hack/WIP phase and I'm not a developer so user beware.

1 Like

Well can I ask for the websocket URL for listening to the events on Hubitat? Is that the live logging URL I saw in another solution?

Right now I've got an app I repurposed from SmartThings that sends events to my custom solution via webhooks. I'm not noticing any performance implications, but if I could just have my solution connect to a websocket endpoint and parse everything, that may be preferable.

ws://hubitat/eventsocket

2 Likes

This is amazing. This totally changes how I'm getting events from Hubitat. Thank you!

Just discovered this too. Now the opportunities really open up!

Is there any more documentation?