Node-Red Palette: Common Choices

@jrau272 I've been having the same issue as you with the applestrudel nodes. Bare metal

@aaiyar What counter node are you using? Thanks for sharing your auto-init flow.

1 Like

Well be sure to report back if possible! Would be a good thing to know..

I just started using the cron node and here's an example of a single node with multiple events. Each output is a different time event.

2 Likes

In addition, each output can have a different payload, which can also be really useful.

And you have the ability to dynamically generate/remove schedules by passing in specially formatted messages as well... very nifty.

Is it possible to have node name span multiple lines rather than just getting wider? I did some searches but no luck.

I'm still trying to wrap my head around your advanced toggle :crazy_face:

My stuffs not that sophisticated yet.

1 Like

It sure is! just put ā€œ \n ā€ to create a new line. (without the quotes)

2 Likes

I wouldn't worry about it too much - I have a bad habit of over-engineering things. Had not really intended to share that subflow because it might be overly confusing / is a scary window into my inner madness. :rofl:

But OTOH it's a good example of what you can do with subflows. :wink:

Looks like Iā€™m not alone. I found this thread on the github page for cakebake:

looks like people are doing a manual init to try and fix. :crossed_fingers:t2:

2 Likes

Doh! Should've known it would be that simple.

I did take your simple on/off toggle and modified it for a simple open/close.

1 Like

I am into subflows in a big way. The main reason I am doing simple stuff like toggles etc is so I can make my sequence behavior more predictable and easily modifiable/fixable across all flows.

Yes, I knew about that. That was when I wrote my init sequence. It has failed on very rare occasions - I can't remember the last time it didn't work. But it has happened a couple times over the last 2 years.

So my production version of the sequence uses a crontab node as trigger and also a virtual switch as trigger.

Ha - just checked my Hubitat logs. The last time that virtual switch was triggered was on 11-30-2021. And 6-12-2021 before that.

1 Like

Is the virtual switch just for you to trigger manually or is it automated somehow?

Virtual (auto-off) switch that is exposed to Alexa. So on the rare occasion TTS doesn't work, I can tell Alexa to "turn virtual switch on".

Is this required or is simply a check that msg.payload.deviceSerial is not empty good enough?

1 Like

I never tried that. Definitely try it first!

empty doesn't work. I didn't read @aaiyar instructions completely and left mine blank and the flow failed to attempt initialization. Instead it acted like it had run through the 4 attempts and dumped out at the 5th. I stared at the logic for about 2 hours before going back and re-reading his post. :man_facepalming:

Since I tied my failure notification into the Alexa skill NotifyME I had an notification from her at 2am :face_with_symbols_over_mouth: