Node-RED nodes for hubitat

Yup.

Yup.

I do this. Doesn't seem to add any overhead that I can perceive.

1 Like

@stephen_nutt

I should add - in quite a few sequences, in places of checking if the light is on, I just use an rbe node .....

I like RBE nodes.

The only "trick" is understanding what it does / making sure it does what you want after a node-red restart. If they get 'out of sync' it can require a cycling before they start working as intended.

1 Like

I've been wondering how others approach reboots/restarts in regards to RBE

When Node-RED starts, send a "msg.reset" with anything to your RBE nodes. It will reset them. No need to worry about them not staying in sync.

Here's where I picked up this tip

1 Like

yes. I have a few things I do on startup - one is push current mode to mode based lighting routines, another is reset RBE blocks.

An easy way to do that is to have a startup inject to change block to LINK OUT. Then use the LINK IN anywhere you need to do the reset.

2 Likes

I was just about to post this. Resetting RBE nodes is when I learned of the link-out and link-in nodes. Before that, I had this connectors going all over the flow - looked horrible and made it difficult to understand my sequences .....

1 Like

Thanks, I'll do this now.

Although, I was under the impression the HE nodes do an internal RBE check, only sending the command ON if it's OFF. Is that true?

I don't think so (nor do I think it should, either - there are some devices that you NEED to be able to send the same command repeatedly regardless of the current status).

I don't remember @fblackburn ever saying that is how command nodes work, in any case. But I haven't had to time to go look at the code, either...

That is done on the platform level and called "debouncing". And yes, HE does that, it only sends a message via MakerAPI if the value of the event changed, e.g. pressing twice "on" on a virtual switch will only generate one message

That wasn't the question though. We are talking about COMMANDS right now. Hubitat does not debounce commands issued to devices at a platform level.

Many drivers do debounce repeated commands internally, but many drivers don't - on purpose - to provide a specific functionality (dead man timers, timer resets, etc).

Yup, I guess I am losing basic reading skills while being stuck in the house.....

And technically, only events not marked as a state change are debounced by the platform. Events marked as a state change, even if repeated, are not debounced in the event subsystem and are sent out via Maker API.

:+1: Thank you, I will investigate it

By curiosity, you change icons and color at each upgrade? Because different icons are not as much different than color? But why changing icon too?

Currently, there are no RBE logic inside command (for requests) or device (for events) node

Nice, you found a new dataType. Did you hear the zelda chest opening music !? :open_mouth: (I'm kidding)
There are no real impact, It's exactly what I'm saying on the third point of the Feedback about MakerAPI in the first post.
I can add the VECTOR3 type. Can you give me the output of the http request for your device (only the attributes section)? I would like to do the right cast (If I leave the value as string or cast it to list of object)

http://<hubitat-server>/apps/api/<app-id>/devices/<device-id>?access_token=<token>
1 Like

I'm trying to send a Pushover notification, but change the message sent to Pushover.

It's a garage door open/close notification.

msg.payload.value is either open or closed.

How would I use a change node to change the msg.payload to Garage door is "msg.payload.value"

Easiest is to use the template note with the content

Garage door is {{payload.value}}

2 Likes

Yup. I have a text file with the hex of the 3 colors I use and I have the hubitat circle house saved as device.png, command.png, and mode.png in another directory on my Pi so it's quick to update now. I have gotten it down. From a distance, it's just easier for me to recognize the colors instead of the icon within the Hubitat circle. You can say it, I am weird. :grin:

1 Like

Is anyone here running Node-RED as an addon to Home Assistant? I decided to play around with Home Assistant and installed it on a Raspberry Pi 4. I installed the Node-RED addon and then installed the Hubitat palette. I imported my existing Flows and and everything looks right. However, none of my device nodes show the present state and when I try to trigger a test flow I get an error message that says "node not deployed." I checked the configuration node and it looks correct. Not sure what I am doing wrong.

Good! That is a trap, and I think the nodes need to not do any massaging/debouncing of received events or sent commands.

Ahhh.... I wasn't thinking along those lines. It is probably an x,y,z acceleration device... It said presence, so I immediately was thinking present/not present.

1 Like

I think @kevin was at one point, but could be mistaken. I explicitly will not run node-red on my home assistant RPi4, as Node-Red is about 10 tiers more important to me, and I don't want anything messing with it. :smile:

Edit: here. It was him, and he had issues using the nodes that way too. Although what he describes is different than your issue - so maybe not the same thing.

1 Like