Node-RED nodes for hubitat

No, i haven't tried that, didn't even know having multiple instances of Maker was even possible. Thanks for the tip.

I need to do a better job of grouping my rooms together so i can make a single call to answer the question "is something in the room on" but i have yet to really be able to mess with that.

I can only highly suggest to store states of frequent devices that you like to use in flows for decision making in flow or global variables. It will reduce your load extensively instead of querying each attribute when you need it

I understand how to store info in flow or global variables but not how to utilize to relieve stress on hub. Could you please post an image of a flow that does that? Thank you.

Let's say you have a flow where you want to turn on lights at a certain time but only if you are home

You could do it like this:

This flow would trigger, than request the current state of my presence device and decide if to turn on the light or not

Now, instead of checking the "presence" device at runtime, you can store the presence device state in a global variable and use that variable in our flow, like this:

I basically removed one HTTP request to the hub with this flow. It will not only speed up your flows but also reduce the load on your hub

5 Likes

Yay! This was on my to-do list. Cross that one off. :wink:

1 Like

I do a lot of this (although could/should do more). I only do it where there are events/states that I need to use frequently. If it is just an occasional extra call, I don't always go through the work to stick it in a variable.

Technically you could shove every device/attribute into variables, and never poll events manually. Would be a lot of work, but could be done... Would take more node-red memory, although not much - and that isn't a problem for me anyway.

1 Like

(Slightly) more power!

3 Likes

Quite a bit more, actually!

1 ARM11 core vs 4 ARMv8. 1 GHz vs 1.5 GHz, too.

10-25x more power, depending on which benchmark you prefer...

Thanks I will take a look in the next week (I'm not at home for some days and I need to read about HSM?)

Do you have some error or debug log? Maker API can support a sh*t load of load (just not simultaneously :stuck_out_tongue: )

I don't get your point. When you input a device state, it will NOT trigger a request to hubitat. It only read its current state (its current state is updated with events). It is exactly the same as setting it in a global variable (and probably better than setting a global variable because you need less nodes)

PiZero to Pi4 --> Night to Day. I think you will enjoy the upgraded experience.

1 Like

Really? If you inject a msg into the input of a device node, it doesn't go fetch the current state from Hubitat?

Yep really

As surprised as you are... But just looked at the code again and yes, it doesn't initiate a request.....

Great to know! I've been making it too hard on myself I guess.

Is that true for ALL attributes on the device? Or just the one specified in the node config? What if you specify a new/different attribute in the incoming msg (or have attribute undefined in the node)?

Yes it's true for all atributes on device. Since we already have the message, why not saving all attributes :stuck_out_tongue:
So whatever attribute specified. the device already have all its attribute states

The device is initialized with a resquest HTTP
And kept up to date ONLY with events

EDIT: common guys, you know we are doing a better job than this :sunglasses:

9 Likes

Awesome. I didn't know that (and obviously never took the time to look in the code either).

Does the same apply to the mode node (and hopefully the upcoming HSM node)? If you tickle the mode node input, does it just give you the known/cached mode?

I use a switch with the current mode in probably 50 different flow places, so I shoved it in a flow variable to ensure I wasn't making too many "mode" requests. That may have been unnecessary...

These are going to be VERY nice with rpi devices.... The microsd is the weakest link of the whole thing. Can't tell you how many I've had go bad...

2 Likes

Yup - I lost a Home Assistant installation to a bad microSD card. My fault for not having backups.

Ditto.

You just brought some baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaddd karma onto one of us on this thread

1 Like