Node-RED nodes for hubitat

If you try to use the standard http request node and copy/paste the requested url (with the right token) and output to debug node
Do you have the same error or you get a result?

If you get a valid result without issue, then it's probably related to hubitat nodes and I can fix something
If you get the same error, then it's probably related to node-red or OS...

• You can re-re-validate with node-red-contrib-ping to see if you get the same result
  • Maybe that node-red community/forum can help you on this issue
3 Likes

This was a great suggestion, and good news! You're off the hook. I'll look into why Node-RED can't resolve mDNS names. Maybe the container is missing something.

1 Like

I just added an Aeotec Doorbell 6. In the Hubitat logs, when I press the door button, I see this:

dev:1002022-01-09 07:10:51.205 pm infoDoorbell button 1 was pushed
dev:1002022-01-09 07:10:51.202 pm infoDoorbell doorbell 1 is playing
dev:1002022-01-09 07:10:51.100 pm infoDoorbell doorbell 1 sound: Upwards Tone
dev:1002022-01-09 07:10:50.902 pm infoDoorbell doorbell 1 is stopped
dev:1002022-01-09 07:10:50.800 pm infoDoorbell doorbell 1 sound: None

But in Node-RED, I don't get anything out of the node I created for it.

Should I be able to get events from the doorbell like this?

Generally only the events/state changes are pushed to node-red; those are informational messages from the driver and may or may not correlate to an event being sent - more to trace progress through the driver’s code.

1 Like

Can you trap the button presses in RM? I'm not sure you can as they are paired directly to the doorbell and not a separate device I think. I use the Aeotec siren part of the doorbell and trap my Ring doorbell push events.

edit: I agree with @thebearmay it's likely a driver thing since obviously the button press info is being recorded but maybe not as an event. Check your events log for the device as well.

This is quite simple to do (if I am understanding you correctly). Here's a snippet from one of my sequences:

Here's the configuration of the "Doorbell" device node:

Here's the configuration of the "Doorbell doorbell 1 is playing" switch node:

So the message that you should be evaluating is "msg.payload.descriptionText"

2 Likes

@rmann

Here's a tip that someone (probably @JasonJoel or @dan.t) gave me a couple of years ago. The simplest way to figure out the message property to evaluate is to use a debug node that captures the output from a device node.

Then configure that debug node to capture/display the complete msg object, as shown below:

1 Like

Try the attribute, here's mine. Mine acts as a 2 button remote.

I guess it depends on what driver @rmann is using?

1 Like

Yes. Also pushed doesn't show other events like the button number, or what is playing.

1 Like

I should clarify mine doorbell sensor is one of these (zigbee), and it sends a pushed:1 or pushed:2 in the payload. ~$10 on ebay

1 Like

This was helpful, I had forgotten about that. When I set this and deploy, I get this output:

1/10/2022, 9:51:02 AMnode: <redacted>
msg : string[21]
"Configuration missing"

I have no idea what configuration it's talking about. Nothing appears in the Hubitat logs when deploying, except some of these:

app:1302022-01-10 09:53:51.630 am debugdeviceItem called
app:1302022-01-10 09:53:51.626 am debuglistDevices called

The Hubitat device events log shows a lot of useful information:

I suspect you don't have the Server property properly configured here. Click on the "pencil" button to the right of House Hubitat and post a screenshot of the dialog that pops up.

Everything else works, but here you go (btw I changed the webhook to use the IP address and it still gets that error):

Did you add the new device to the node red hubitat app in hubitat?

1 Like

It looks like it shows up in the device list so it should already be added? Maybe remove from maker, save and then add back in...

1 Like

I did. Can’t even make a node for it in NR without doing so. Is there any way to set the API to just be “all devices?”

You can use the "Events" node and that will pull in everything..

My apologies; the "configuration missing" is due to my mis-configured Influx node. I get nothing from the Doorbell device node nor do I get anything from the Events node.

1 Like

I don't use Node Red... but I HAD to post just so I could be #5000!

1 Like