Node-RED nodes for hubitat

I would expect that to be true until maker api is restart, the device is added/removed from maker api, or node-red is restarted.

Could be wrong though?

EDIT: Oops, didn't see @fblackburn was already responding. Should have waited for his official answer instead of chiming in with my thoughts. lol

2 Likes

Thanks this is what I see. Didn't try restarting node-red. So it is expected behavior - good! I was concerned that I had messed something up.

1 Like

Because after adding the virtual device in HE, you add a new device node in NR and deployment triggered a cache rebuild

Yes, you will probably see a javascript error in the NR log file. The best I can do, is catch this error and print a formatted error message. I would require some effort to support new attribute

No everything is fine, but you need to restart flow to rebuild the global cache. Or use this flow to rebuild cache without restart

When a new device is added or updated the global cache must be refreshed. Adding a new device node will trigger it, so it's why nobody see this. But if you update an attribute of existing device its more problematic

2 Likes

Thank you - that makes sense!

I feel like a snail when I answer a question, trying to translate what I want to said, write, delete, write, fix, then finally not sure about what I'm writing, then testing, rewrite and finally click on reply ... but I re-read myself and I don't even understand what I have written, so edit my message and do the same steps again...

Anyways not surprising that everyone had time to reply before me :rofl:

4 Likes

But please know that you are very much appreciated. All the automations in my house wouldn't exist without node-red-contrib-hubitat.

So, merci beaucoup!

6 Likes

Well, you speak English much better than I speak French. So... You win. :slight_smile:

6 Likes

1.6.0 released :heart_eyes:

• config: allow to change nodes color according their configuration
  • command: fix command error message
  • Include first post example in the plugin (Import->Examples -> node-red-contrib-hubitat)
  • rewrite README and include technical implementation details

Happy Valentine's weekend with your automation :bow_and_arrow: :joy:

10 Likes

Thanks for the update, can't wait to "play with it" :rofl:

But seriously, is there a way to "store" a variable in NR in such a way that it's value appears on the flow like say a temp sensor? Right now I pipe the data into a virtual device and display that, seems crude.

1 Like

You can add a debug node, and config the debug node to show what you want on the node status.

yields this (an MQTT value in this case)

4 Likes

Thanks! but could you enlarge that a bit?

:eye: :eye:

2 Likes

Better? :wink:

3 Likes

All kidding aside, the original ones didn't look very big on my screen to me. lol

But I'm getting older and make everything bigger than I used to.

So apparently bravenel has been investigating/evaluating node-red.

I saw that.

I almost chimed in with "YES!!! I would greatly prefer that to the many clicks of doom to make (or edit) a complex RM rule!".

But I resisted.

3 Likes

I think it speaks to the power of MakerAPI.

1 Like

No, I just lifted someone's graphic -- using it as an example. Personally, I don't care for it. But, everyone should use the tool that works best for them.

3 Likes

I actually really like RM, and use it for various non-complex things if I'm in a hurry. It is really a very nice solution that works very well.

I do most in node-red, though, as I prefer to drag/drop, copy/paste, connect the dots, not worry about resource usage or speed, and can dump into JS in a pinch if needed. Works well for the way my brain thinks.

2 Likes

Yup. And I think its incredible that the platform makes it feasible to use the automation engine of the end-user's choice.

2 Likes

Dang I should copyrighted the graphic.

2 Likes