Node-RED nodes for hubitat

Can also use the change node for the first set of functions by setting it up like:

This is awesome I'm using switches to send adb shell commands to my chromecast with google tv and am finally able to auto tune to a channel on YouTube TV.

I had to use virtual switches though as I can't get a virtual button to send events.

1 Like

I got it all up and going, works like a charm, Thanks for you help!

4 Likes

There has been discussion before about what to do when a command doesn't "work" (error from Maker API, network interruption, mesh congestion on Hubitat side so command was lost, etc).

I have a subflow to help deal with that, which I will share soon. I am waiting on a modification to the command node output that includes the command/arguments used, so that the subflow can be made as generic as possible and work in all uses of command node (command/arguments specified in incoming msg OR pre-configured in the command node).

The issue with this type of validation is that there is some coding required to know what attributes go with which commands, handle special cases like level=0%, and to handle multi-parameter arguments. This is the reason it will likely never be added to the command node code itself, as it would be a support nightmare for @fblackburn ).

For instance, if you send a LEVEL + DURATION as an argument in a setLevel command (like "55, 60" for instance), to know if it worked on the device you need to:

1. Know that the attribute you need to check is "level", when the command is "setLevel"
    *** With setLevel one also needs to check if the setLevel % = 0, as in that case you actually need to check "switch"="off" instead of checking "level"=%...
  2. Make sure you don't actually check the attribute value until AFTER the duration period is complete
  3. The subflow has to strip off the "level" part of setLevel argument "55, 60" to compare to the level value from the device.

Not horribly complicated, but more complicated than one might think...

I'll include some instructions on how the end user can add their own custom command / custom attribute support when I publish it. It isn't especially hard, but it does take a couple lines of code per custom command/attribute.

When the command+arguments and attributes do not match, the subflow will re-send the command to the hub up to 3x.

Just thought I would mention this in case others have the same need. The subflow works well already, but will be easier to implement after the mentioned command node output message change is made.

More to come.

The subflow node shows status of the check, and outputs a true/false message to use for other alerting/post-processing.

Waiting for a delay before checking the attribute value:

Command Check was Successful (aka the command and attribute match)

Command Check Failed (aka the command and attribute do not match after 3x retries). Note, I may add the requested command and actual attribute value in status. BUT, many times it will be cutoff due to max status text length... So we'll see.

7 Likes

Released 1.7.0

• new command node output (msg.requestCommand and msg.requestArguments)
  • add a flow example with event node

Thank you @JasonJoel for your all your contribution and idea

8 Likes

As promised. Questions specific to that subflow should be asked there to prevent polluting this thread.

2 Likes

@fblackburn Question - when a command node has an error response, do the msg.requestCommand and msg.requestArguments still get populated and an output msg sent?

I had a flurry of command node errors this morning, but was unable to capture if there was an output from the command nodes or not - or what the msg structure was if there was an output. Just saw the errors in the debug log.

It would be good if the output was still created and if it has the msg.requestXXXX fields in the event of an error.

Here is one of the nodes:

Oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooh !!!! Seeing your subflow, now everything is clear about it :+1:

Well ... the answer is no
But as you said, it should definitively output something to leave user to make action if error. Probably something like msg.statusCode = 500 let me look other project and I'll add it.

Beside this, I'm curious about the error you had. Currently, we throttle requests to 4 simultaneously, because no one report error with this config. Should we decrease this number or it was out of nodes control? (ex: external node/script to Maker API)

If possible, it would be ideal to have the msg.requestXXXX in the error output too, so that my subflow could automatically re-try the command. Without the msg.requestXXXX info it will just stop/exit out as it does not have enough info to attempt the comparison or re-try.

I see errors fairly regularly during mode changes/finite events that trigger multiple commands at once. I've added a lot of random delay blocks in front of the commands to spread it out, but I still see errors on occasion. I'll try harder to capture the exact error - I just haven't found an easy way to catch it without actually sitting in front of it with node-red open though, which isn't exactly convenient...

Yeah sure :+1:

Everything should be in your NR log (or docker logs) tagged as:

[error] [hubitat command:<node-name>] [<node-id>] <interesting-message-error>

I don't run it in docker - pm2 on bare metal linux. I did find the pm2 logs, though. I need to comb through them and see if I can pinpoint one of the errors. :+1:

Here we go. This is a really simple one:

19 Apr 08:02:26 - [error] [hubitat command:Front Door Lock] [b5b846ac.116088] [deviceId:1513] http://192.168.2.161:80/apps/api/326/devices/1513/departed: Device not found or not authorized to send that command
19 Apr 08:02:26 - [error] [hubitat command:Garage Door Lock] [c730e508.b553c8] [deviceId:1493] http://192.168.2.161:80/apps/api/326/devices/1493/departed: Device not found or not authorized to send that command
19 Apr 08:02:26 - [error] [hubitat command:2473c26d.3b985e] [deviceId:1779] http://192.168.2.161:80/apps/api/326/devices/1779/departed: Device not found or not authorized to send that command

Hard coded / node properties setup on the command nodes. Set to command "lock".

Based on the error, it looks like there may be a msg.command and/or msg.arguments getting passed to it from somewhere else in the msg chain - as there should not be a "departed" on it at all... I'll add some nodes to 'sanitize' the msg before it gets to the command nodes by removing msg.command, msg.arguments, and msg.deviceId.

1 Like

Looking through my (admittedly fairly complex) msg chain, I still can't figure out where the "departed" came from at all. But I'll keep looking. EDIT: Found it, and yes it propagated from about 5 previous flows deep - had to walk my way back through it.

The sanitize block below would have fixed it. I'll start adding that after command nodes/msg chains that go to a lot of other flows/nodes just to be safe.

Maybe msg.command, msg.arguments, msg.deviceId, msg.attribute should get stripped off the output msg from the command node? Regardless, my sanitize node will fix it.

Sanitize change node:

1 Like

FYI @fblackburn every error I saw in my logs (I looked at the past week or so) was due to unintended msg.command propagation.

I didn't find any evidence that there is rate limiter/too many commands at the same time issue. So that's good!

1 Like

@JasonJoel here's the PR for msg.responseStatus, any feedback is welcome

Maybe with the msg.requestXXX variables, these attributes are not really useful anymore. The only thing that make me hesitate, is that no builtin nodes (ex: http request) sanitize its input. It always forward input attributes to the output message. I opened an issue to write thoughts

Updated node red today and now I can not see devices under under property.
If i add a new device from hubitat I can not select a device under properties.
Checked API and all is right.
Does anyone have an idea to check?
All my nodes are working still but all devices and commands can not see devices from hubitat.

In 1.7.0, duplicate javascript code have been moved to a common file. Then you may need to force refresh your page (or try private navigation to test)

Otherwise, if you open the browser debugger (F12) and you look at the network tab when you open a device node. you should see a request with an error.

You can also look at the NR log to see more info (the location depends on your installation, the following command should output the log sudo journalctl -f -u nodered -o cat)

that fixed it. I hit F12 and clicked refresh and the devices show up now.

Thanks alot

1 Like

I agree. I would leave it as-is to be consistent.

1 Like

Not working again. restored my last backup and node red would work.
Updated node red and I'm getting the same as above. I tried f12 and looked at network and that seemed ok. No errors.
Still cant see any devices from hubitat.
I did find error below.
DevTools failed to load SourceMap: Could not load content for http://xxxx.xxx:1880/vendor/purify.min.js.map: HTTP error: status code 404, net::ERR_HTTP_RESPONSE_CODE_FAILURE

Couple of things to try:

#1 Stop node-red and then restart it (node-red-stop, node-red-start)
#2 Refresh the webhook in the configuration node

Generally one of these will cure the problem for me.