Node-RED nodes for hubitat

Thanks for the update, can't wait to "play with it" :rofl:

But seriously, is there a way to "store" a variable in NR in such a way that it's value appears on the flow like say a temp sensor? Right now I pipe the data into a virtual device and display that, seems crude.

1 Like

You can add a debug node, and config the debug node to show what you want on the node status.

yields this (an MQTT value in this case)

4 Likes

Thanks! but could you enlarge that a bit?

:eye: :eye:

2 Likes

Better? :wink:

3 Likes

All kidding aside, the original ones didn't look very big on my screen to me. lol

But I'm getting older and make everything bigger than I used to.

So apparently bravenel has been investigating/evaluating node-red.

I saw that.

I almost chimed in with "YES!!! I would greatly prefer that to the many clicks of doom to make (or edit) a complex RM rule!".

But I resisted.

3 Likes

I think it speaks to the power of MakerAPI.

1 Like

No, I just lifted someone's graphic -- using it as an example. Personally, I don't care for it. But, everyone should use the tool that works best for them.

3 Likes

I actually really like RM, and use it for various non-complex things if I'm in a hurry. It is really a very nice solution that works very well.

I do most in node-red, though, as I prefer to drag/drop, copy/paste, connect the dots, not worry about resource usage or speed, and can dump into JS in a pinch if needed. Works well for the way my brain thinks.

2 Likes

Yup. And I think its incredible that the platform makes it feasible to use the automation engine of the end-user's choice.

2 Likes

Dang I should copyrighted the graphic.

2 Likes

In the "what I did with node-red and hubitat today" section... It is cold in San Antonio for a few days - which is rare. We get freezing temps for a few hours or a day here and there, but not 3 straight days, and we aren't insulated/prepared for that. So....

1. Made a freeze alert using all my sensors that report temperature. The link in nodes connect to Hubitat Event nodes - I keep 1 instance of the Event node on my "global" flow for each hub and just link to them when needed. I find that it is a lot easier to just do one Event Node + a filter in a switch than it is to add a zillion device nodes.

2. Made a quick table to let me look at the temps. Lots of ways to do this, I did it the way I know (there are others). Had to dump to a js function node for that one as I wanted to pre-sort the list. Had issues with the table updating on the dashboard, so I just threw a ui_control on there to refresh it. Might not be needed, but it worked and I was in a hurry.

Yields this:

4 Likes

That's a great idea. We're expecting freezing temperatures here on Lundi Gras and Mardi Gras. I am going to setup freeze alerts with temperature sensors in unconditioned space!

I updated Node (using hb-service update node) on my RPi/Homebridge and when I restarted node-red, it said it was creating a new flow file. When I went to look at my flows, EVERYTHING was gone - just an empty flow file. After my initial panic, I restarted the Homebridge server and lo and behold, everything was back.

Any idea on what could have happened? I am running NR on the Homebridge pre-built image.

Why wouldn’t you run them in separate images, that way dependencies in one don’t impact the other?

1 Like

The pre-built image for Homebridge has the OS and other components (node, npm etc.) installed and has the ability to install and manage other add-ons (Node-RED). I did not start with a a clean Raspbian install.

Sorry I thought you meant docker image. My bad.

1 Like

THANK YOU!

This has been bugging me for days trying to get data into NR.
This was exactly my problem.

My internal server drives DNS for the house - but it looks like the HE is hard coded to go directly to 8.8.8.8 for the DNS server... unless you configure it for static IP, then the DNS field becomes available.

I will work on what do about that later - but importantly, now I have events piping into NR in real time (yay)!

2 Likes

Thanks very much for that. I've just updated to that version and it works perfectly.

1 Like