Node-RED nodes for hubitat

arrggg :weary:
I just notice that I totally miss my documentation about the use websocket option. This option look like if it was fully supported and/or recommended, but it was not my intention. It's more an option for people with critical speed needed (ex: have one config node with webhook for most automatons, but one another config node with websocket for motion detector).

I'll rework documentation and will add you as reviewer :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Big thankyou to @fblackburn for these nodes.
Really appreciated!

3 Likes

In Louisiana, the Acadians (cajuns) use the word lagniappe, which I think means a little bit extra as a gift.

1 Like

In England we would say "icing on the cake".

3 Likes

Thank you for the information.

Since you are two with the same kind of issue, I will need to read a little bit more about websocket connect/reconnect behavior. It's the first time I implement websocket with JavaScript, so I probably not handled all possible situation. I don't really know what I need to have to help me to fix it (except time :laughing:). But if I need something more, I'll ask :slight_smile:

Moreover, It's difficult to me to investigate websocket issue because I'm not at home until September and I (still) have issues with my hardware at home that complicate access to my HE

Meanwhile, you can use webhook

Funny example of why webhook is superior in many cases shown below.

TL;DR: For locks websocket doesn't report the code used at all, webhook does.

If you set your Node-RED to print debug message would help to identify the sequence of websocket connection/reconnection.
Node-RED logging
You can add the following section in the config file:

logging: {
    // Console logging
    console: {
        level: "debug"
    }
}

If I wanted to try this out, would I need to set up a new Maker API instance for websockets, or would both NR config nodes connect to the same instance? I don't see any particular option in the Maker API screen regarding websockets.

1 Like

Both can connect to the same one. The websocket connection part really has nothing to do with Maker API (technically).

1 Like

As @JasonJoel said, you can use the same Maker API for your both config nodes

• In both config nodes (websocket and webhook), Maker API is used to:
    • populate dropdown choices in each configuration panel nodes (list devices, commands, etc..)
    • init some nodes state (devices, mode, hsm, etc..)
    • used directly by nodes (command, mode-setter, hsm-setter)
  • If the config node use webhook, then Maker API is used to:
    • receive events from webhook
  • If the config node use websocket, then Maker API is:
    • not used to receive events
      (it's why you don't need to configure webhook section when you select websocket)

Then, you need to have a Maker API instance even when you use websocket

4 Likes

Do you guys have one flow per room or stick all the motion lighting in one flow?

I tend to group by type more than room. I have a couple of lighting flows (too many nodes to fit in one flow). Have a "vent" flow, thermostat scheduler, etc.

It is so easy to search on Node-RED I haven't found it all that necessary to organize in a very strict fashion. CTRL-F, first few letters, and I'm there - regardless where it is.

4 Likes

Didn't know that. Learnt something new today

I do mine more by trigger, but I'm still learning (not sure I'll ever stop)

I used to do it by room, but now areas/ideas.

3 of my flows are now full, so may have to think about changing again.

I group by function.
So one flow for lighting, one flow for modes, one flow for thermostats, etc.. etc..

A lot of my flows would be nightmares trying to setup and organize by room, I'd have a million link nodes kicking around lol

Now if we're talking front-end.... that one is all sorted by room.

I'm still doing it by floor/location/functions (control, health, testing).. I also have a ton of standardized subflows which I use to "hide" the complexity of various sequences. Also use lots of comments to separate/group sequences in a flow.

anyone come across this error ?

"Websocket error: {"errno":"ETIMEDOUT","code":"ETIMEDOUT","syscall":"connect","address":"192.168.86.32","port":80}" I keep getting it.

EDIT: restart seemed to fix it. I don't have any thing on 192.168.86.32

A thought..

Take a look at your config nodes to see if there are any extra HE configs and remove them. If you've imported any flows sometimes the HE config can get included..

2 Likes

That's what I did I was stealing one of @april.brandt (I think) flows and she broke my NR

4 Likes