"No response" using new HomeKit integration (beta)

Did you enable relaxed home hub pairing in the app?

1 Like

I started seeing this yesterday afternoon, as well. We've been on 16.2 beta, and things were fine, but late afternoon/early evening started seeing this. CC: @Ken_Fraleigh and @gopher.ny

fwiw, I updated to .120 late last night, but it had no impact - still same behavior.

If your security is already set for Relaxed, simply click the restart integration button and you should be back in business.

All was well for me but - as luck would have it - I’ve left home for a long weekend and everything is now “no response”. But since I am gone I cannot use the “restart” option. Mostly fine as all my automations are in HE but was using AppleHome as a dashboard and for a few thread devices.

Is there any way to restart HomeKit integration remotely? I do not have remote access at the moment. Do I need to be at home to activate that?

Well I was able to add remote admin remotely, which was a pleasant surprise and restarting the integration worked fine.

Would be nice not to have to pay to restart the integration though!

Maybe there is a way to code a button I could add to a Hubitat Dashboard to restart it remotely? Would help with WAF as explaining multiple back up methods of accessing the home isn’t so great.

You could restart the hub remotely. The easiest way would be by using the reboot feature in @thebearmay ‘s hubinfo driver, or create a rule with a virtual switch like this:

This reboots both of my hubs, so you will only need the first half.

Not working for me.

Yes, this is problematic and I've left the beta integration and am just using the Homebridge Hubitat Tonesto7 integration until this gets sorted out. I loved the idea, however, too many instances of "No Response" for my liking. As I had Schlage door locks, I resolved myself that I was still going to need Homebridge, however, moved as many devices as I could to native.

Good tip!

I removed the bridge from Home, used "the nuclear option" -> Reset QR and pairing code, restarted the integration and then added it back to Home and it appears to be working for now ... will monitor.

Everything has been running smoothly for me for the past 4+ days. Running the latest Hubitat software and 16.2 on all iOS devices and it has been rock solid. I have even forced a few AppleTV and HomePod 'failovers' and a full WiFI outage and reboot to see how it would reconnect. Happy to report that whatever changes you have made to the integration appear to be working in my case.

[I am terrified that typing this note is going to instantly create a karmic backlash in the form of the dreaded 'no response' but thought I should report the good with the bad.]

People who have updated to iOS 16.2, have you also updated the Home Architecture? This is an extra (optional) step, without it I think iOS 16.2 itself does not actually change anything. Upgrade to the new Home architecture on iPhone - Apple Support

Anyway, I did that update and my integration only works for about a day before I get the "No Response" on all devices. Then if I go in and click Restart Integration it will work again. This is just on a test home, so I do not have a home hub attached to it, which may be contributing to the issues. I only have one Homepod Mini (no Apple TV) and its attached to my main Home with the original Homebridge integration still installed and fully functional after the Home updates.

2 Likes

I've been running HomeKit integration since the very first beta. I have 100+ devices across three hubs in the same Home. I've been very happy with the integration, even when I had to redo the entire 100+ device setup (twice!).

Seeing that several people had reported issues following the architecture upgrade, I approached this with a great deal of trepidation. The risk of Home/Siri not working for my wife was a significant concern.

My process was to upgrade all my Apple devices en masse, with the exception of two laptops that are too old to support MacOS Ventura. A day later, I enabled Relaxed home hub pairing security. Then ran I for a few days prior to upgrading the home architecture.

Surprisingly, when I finally took the plunge and upgraded the home architecture, I actually did not encounter any problems whatsoever. It's been rock solid since.

YMMV.

3 Likes

I had a similar concerns and a similar experience…until this morning. Repeat of no response, unfortunately.

I assume these aren't compatible, then, once you updated your Home to 16.2/new-arch? I've been wondering if that was a beta limitation or if that's a "going forward" thing? FWIW, I used the OpenCore Legacy Patcher (OCLP) to install Ventura on an unsupported MBP (2012, I think) - worked well.

After the upgrade, the laptop running on Monterey reported that a newer version of MacOs was required to participate in Home. This was as expected.

Interestingly, my wife's old laptop which was stuck on Catalina did not complain at all, and surprisingly appeared to still be fully functional with Home. This laptop was being replaced anyway, so it has since been decommissioned.

My HomeKit integration was solid until I upgraded to the new architecture. Then I got unresponsive about once and hour, requiring the integration to be restarted. I finally started over again via the Hubitat nuclear option and with the relaxed home hub pairing security on. Since then it's been fine again. [fingers crossed]

Unfortunately, I doubt it will keep. I am on 16.2, upgraded to new HomeKit architecture, relaxed security is on, went nuclear… but I’m having to restart the Hubitat HomeKit integration every day. I have HomePod minis and Apple TVs. :man_shrugging:

I also have an Apple TV and a couple of HomePod Minis. When I had problems before was when the hub shifted from the TV to one of the HPMs. I don't know if that was really the cause, or just a coincidence. I forced it back to the TV by pulling the plug on the HPMs for a bit. I'm not running any critical automations on it. I have it toggle a virtual presence switch that I use in Combined Presence. But it's not a critical part of that, so if everything goes unresponsive it's not really a big deal. I might do more with it when it settles down a bit.

I have 3 ATVs and 3 HPMs and have been on 16.2 (now 16.3) with the new Home architecture for over a month. 20 days ago when .117 was released with relaxed pairing is how long everything has been running fine. I just wonder what it is with some setups that causes the communication issue.