"No response" using new HomeKit integration (beta)

I've been running HomeKit integration since the very first beta. I have 100+ devices across three hubs in the same Home. I've been very happy with the integration, even when I had to redo the entire 100+ device setup (twice!).

Seeing that several people had reported issues following the architecture upgrade, I approached this with a great deal of trepidation. The risk of Home/Siri not working for my wife was a significant concern.

My process was to upgrade all my Apple devices en masse, with the exception of two laptops that are too old to support MacOS Ventura. A day later, I enabled Relaxed home hub pairing security. Then ran I for a few days prior to upgrading the home architecture.

Surprisingly, when I finally took the plunge and upgraded the home architecture, I actually did not encounter any problems whatsoever. It's been rock solid since.

YMMV.

3 Likes

I had a similar concerns and a similar experience…until this morning. Repeat of no response, unfortunately.

I assume these aren't compatible, then, once you updated your Home to 16.2/new-arch? I've been wondering if that was a beta limitation or if that's a "going forward" thing? FWIW, I used the OpenCore Legacy Patcher (OCLP) to install Ventura on an unsupported MBP (2012, I think) - worked well.

After the upgrade, the laptop running on Monterey reported that a newer version of MacOs was required to participate in Home. This was as expected.

Interestingly, my wife's old laptop which was stuck on Catalina did not complain at all, and surprisingly appeared to still be fully functional with Home. This laptop was being replaced anyway, so it has since been decommissioned.

My HomeKit integration was solid until I upgraded to the new architecture. Then I got unresponsive about once and hour, requiring the integration to be restarted. I finally started over again via the Hubitat nuclear option and with the relaxed home hub pairing security on. Since then it's been fine again. [fingers crossed]

Unfortunately, I doubt it will keep. I am on 16.2, upgraded to new HomeKit architecture, relaxed security is on, went nuclear… but I’m having to restart the Hubitat HomeKit integration every day. I have HomePod minis and Apple TVs. :man_shrugging:

I also have an Apple TV and a couple of HomePod Minis. When I had problems before was when the hub shifted from the TV to one of the HPMs. I don't know if that was really the cause, or just a coincidence. I forced it back to the TV by pulling the plug on the HPMs for a bit. I'm not running any critical automations on it. I have it toggle a virtual presence switch that I use in Combined Presence. But it's not a critical part of that, so if everything goes unresponsive it's not really a big deal. I might do more with it when it settles down a bit.

I have 3 ATVs and 3 HPMs and have been on 16.2 (now 16.3) with the new Home architecture for over a month. 20 days ago when .117 was released with relaxed pairing is how long everything has been running fine. I just wonder what it is with some setups that causes the communication issue.

Mine was fine for over a week. This morning, NO RESPONSE. Did the restart and it picked back up. I did notice that my connected mini had changed. Don't know when it changed, so that may or may not have something to do with it.

I have 2 Apple TVs, 3 original HomePods, and 2 HomePod minis. Went unresponsive again this morning, so I restarted the Apple TV, and HomeKit switched to one of my HomePod minis (simply having the Home hub switch doesn’t solve the Hubitat app issues, it still requires a reboot… although I’m not sure it would really be a hub issue since the hubs are only used for remote access, and I’m on the same network). Anyway… this morning my unresponsive session is sticking - restarting the integration, restarting my HomePods and rebooting the hub all aren’t doing anything to fix it. I guess if I have a little time later today, I’ll try to reset, remove, reinstall the HomeKit app to see if a fresh instance gets me online. Ugh… third time rebuilding my home on this integration. It’s beta.

Have you turned on relaxed security in the homekit integration on hubitat?

Yep, that worked for me the first time this started happening, but it’s not helping now.

Hmm... Restarting the integration isn't helping either? Strange. I'm running 6 Homepod minis and a Apple tv4k and everything is working pretty solid for me.

Unfortunately, doing that worked for the first couple days, but as of this morning, no love from the restart function.

Power cycle the unit. Shut down from settings menu. Unplug power to hub (at wall not hub) for 1 minute and power back up. See how it behaves.

Be nice to have a button or switch to do the restart from a dashboard. Or from a rule. Instead of having to get on the HE hub and go to apps, etc. to do the restart. I can think of a way to check periodically if things have bombed and thus would be nice to do an automatic restart.

Well to be fair, this is a beta product so I think the primary goal is to work out the major kinks before introducing some finer stuff like that.

1 Like

I agree. Just kinda threw that out there for maybe future consideration.

Just a thought... I have two AppleTVs, and no HomePods. Perhaps the issue is related to HomePods? Original, mini or both?

Still misbehaving. I’m going to do a complete uninstall and reinstall and see if that gets me back up and running. Will report back

1 Like