No more Nest - Other Thermostat Options?

Ah, well cool. I wondered if some of the posts I saw regarding not being able to pair after it was already paired to a vivint hub was "user error". Sounds like it was. :+1:

1 Like

Can you show us the device options you can use with it? I want to know if I can control a humidifier.

I'm pretty sure it cannot control a humidifier/dehumidifier/ventilator (like the ecobee3/4 can).

1 Like

Damn again. :slight_smile:

Why isn’t there any z-wave units that can do this?

redacted

@mik3 :slight_smile:

The CT-200 has Humidifier/fan control. I don't have mine wired up though. The manual can be found here:

https://products.z-wavealliance.org/ProductManual/File?folder=&filename=Manuals/1678/CT200_UserGuide_20160308.pdf

What terminals do you connect the humidifier control conductors to? I cannot find that in the manual.

1 Like

I pulled mine off the wall to check. My sincere apologies for the bad info. No H/DH ports on the back---but I'll chat with Vivint tomorrow and ask if any newer version got released with it.

I just found a reference on Vivint's website saying that External control didn't make the cut into the 200, despite it being in the manual. I was really looking forward to using this. Good thing I didn't run the wire yet. :grimacing:

edit: Just confirmed with vivint that it never got added :frowning:

1 Like

Damn, and there goes that option. :slight_smile:

The search continues!

Perhaps someone can reverse engineer the forthcoming Google Local home SDK somehow to still allow commands to be intercepted from, and sent to, devices connected through Google Home Assistant. Time will tell... but I'm dreading the period of time between when Nest API access is cut off and the really skilled folks here and elsewhere are able to (hopefully) get a hack of some sort in place so I can keep using my (formerly known as) Nest devices controlled via HE and controlling other devices via HE with triggers.

Does the Vivint have any adjustable "threshold settings"? As in Minimum time off, or minimum run time.?

I have two if these with Hubitat as well. My only complaint is that I can't get them to work with Alexa for the life of me. They worked fine when I had them installed with SmartThings, but I can't get them to appear as an Alexa device now.

I don't think thermostats are supported by the Amazon Echo Skill yet.

https://docs.hubitat.com/index.php?title=Amazon_Echo_Skill

No settings for it—I think it defaults to 4 minutes for some changes with certain cycles to not damage compressors, and it has an adjustable threshold for how many degrees of tolerance to use before engaging heating/cooling.

Thats too bad.

@mik3 I assume you are in the same boat I am, you want to adjust the humidity based on the outside temperature?

Right now my options are the venstar thermostat or I'm just going to go with an automatically adjusted humidistat. I had this model on my previous house and it worked well:
Honeywell HumidiPro Digital Humidistat although you have to run the sensor outside and it is a wired sensor not wireless.

For the venstar, they have a zwave thermostat that controls humidity:

Its not the prettiest thing.

They also have a wifi thermostat with a local api:

1 Like

That's how pretty much every HVAC system I've owned worked. But I will say, I always want basically the same humidity indoors year round. The local to the HVAC systems would be less convenient if I wanted to adjust it a lot.

Depends on where you live, up here in the north you have to turn down the humidity in the winter based on the outside temperature otherwise your windows will sweat/freeze

1 Like

Understood. I've got it easy in the south. :smile:

I grew up in colder regions, though, so definitely understand. Of course we were always in old farmhouses with wood heat and no humidifier. Not fun.

2 Likes

I want to control the indoor humidity based off the humidity in the house.

Usually in the winter, my thermostat (Ecobee) calls for humidity to my humidifier. Wire runs between Ecobee and my humidifier.

I really wish someone would make a thermostat that let you set a desired indoor dew point. The thermostat could then decide if it was more energy efficient to reach the DP by running the AC/heat or humidifier/dehumidifier.

1 Like

Aparently the Lux zigbee thermostat lives...

https://www.luxproducts.com/konoz/

1 Like