No more Nest - Other Thermostat Options?

What we need is a surgically implanted temperature sensor that can interface directly with the thermostat. :robot:

3 Likes

There have been a few case studies to determine whether smart watches measuring biometrics can determine comfort levels as an input to commercial building automation systems. So, you're very close!

1 Like

I never understood the benefit of a "Smart" Learning thermostat. I was kind of hoping that I might be smarter than a thermostat.

I've had programmable thermostats for years. Even if I give Nest's smarts the benefit of the doubt, I don't see how they can save much more than I'm already saving with the programmables.

Having said that I just installed an ecobee3 lite. My purchase was for the ability to control by a remote sensor. We have a control problem area in our Master Bedroom with the thermostat being in the hall.

However we do very much like the ecobee display of outside temperature and weather for that day.

We'll see how it works out in the long term. BTW I don't care if I can change the temperature on my phone. And I'm about to block the ecobee's MAC address in my router to see what I can and can't do w/o the internet connection. I know I'll loose the weather info but if the basic functions are hindered ...... back it goes.

BTW I do have a Honeywell ZWave and a Pearl Zigbee controlling other zones. I have them partially because I like automation and partially for logging usage of each zone.

1 Like

You have to remember that someone who posts on a wonky smart home forum does not represent the average person, or the ability or desire to understand something like a thermostat. As you point out, a smart thermostat provides a few non-energy benefits -- but their real benefits are only realized by the average person. This is ultimately why utility efficiency programs have given up on programmable thermostats and moved on to learning. The benefits for the latter are almost guaranteed on-average.

1 Like

Reminds me of VCR clocks :slight_smile:

2 Likes

No humidity control I take it?

No humidity control for what??

Nest? I do not have anything to do with the Nest integrations.

BigTalker2? I should be able to add Humidity level (Below X, Above X, Return to Normal range) as a talk event if its desired.

Can I control a humidifier with the unit you’re using ?

Ahh, you're talking about my earlier post in this thread about my CT100 thermostat. I'll have to check when I get home. I did see a CT101 thread regarding a driver reporting humidity. If mine is not reporting that now, I'll try the driver from that post and see if it does.

I am using the generic z-wave thermostat device driver for my CT100's.
The thermostat has a label that says:
888-207-6317 (Customer Service)
CT100 Rev.A
1H3GYxxx (Different on my 2 thermostats)
16xx (Different on my 2 thermostats)

It's fingerprint is:

• deviceType: 25601
  • inClusters: 0x20,0x81,0x87,0x72,0x31,0x40,0x42,0x44,0x45,0x43,0x86,0x70,0x80,0x85,0x60
  • deviceId: 263
  • manufacturer: 152

The available states that I show for this device are:

Current States

• battery : 61
  • coolingSetpoint : 73
  • heatingSetpoint : 71
  • humidity : 34
  • temperature : 73
  • thermostatFanMode : auto
  • thermostatMode : auto
  • thermostatOperatingState : idle
  • thermostatSetpoint : 72

Thanks but do you have options to control a humidifier ?

I have a Nest thermostat now and I have the same requirement (control my humidifier) I have a Vivint CT200 thermostat that I'm planning on using (Thanks to @adamkempenich for pointing this out!) It appears that it controls a humidifier but have not tried it yet. edit: nope, it does not :frowning:

2 Likes

Good to know! You need to let us know.

Is it compatible with hubitat?

That Vivint CT200 looks cool, but I'm struggling to find out more about it. I can't tell if a cloud subscription is required. It looks like it can be used with just Z-Wave/Hubitat, and not the $29.99/month service fee, but I can't find definitive proof with a quick search.

I'd definitely be interested in learning more from folks here that are using it @chuck.schwer!

Have you found any sources to buy it? I did a quick search and didn’t see anything obvious.

Plenty of them on eBay (rather, there was a month ago - haven't looked recently). I looked hard at it before getting the GoControl model I use.

Adam got his running fine, I have mine sitting on my desk still but I was able to pair it with no issues, although he mentioned he had to pair one of his with a vivint hub before it would work. I was planning on figuring out what is so special about the vivint hub so Adam sent me his hub but when I opened my new thermostat it paired right up to Hubitat, so I'm waiting for someone else to have the same problem and be willing to shipping me their thermostat for testing.

That is where I got mine. It says it was brand new and the packaging appears to have been unopened, but it paired to Hubitat fine, so I'm not sure if it was truly new or not.

It likely was. Once paired to a Vivint system you can't pair it to a generic zwave hub anymore. At least no way I know of - might be some super reset function somewhere... There are some posts about it somewhere on the web that I saw...

But maybe that was just users that couldn't figure out how to do a zwave exclude? I didn't dig deeper into it.

1 Like

I have 3 CT-200s. Only had the pairing issue with the one that was brand new, which Chuck didn’t have an issue with. If we had one that did have a pairing issue, there might be some good data to pull from that and I’d happily send someone my new unit (that’s paired and working) to figure out what’s going on.

I actually bought a vivint hub (which @chuck.schwer has now) to run whatever initialization was needed in order to pair my new CT-200 with my home hub.

A factory reset and a z-wave exclude will let you re-pair any CT-200 with Hubitat. :slight_smile:

I’d bet this was it.