[No Longer Maintained] Orbit BHyve Integration

I have implemented the change suggested by @swade and it seems like the error in line 265 has gone away.
I still have a couple of other errors showing up:

Any idea?

They must have changed something with the API. I think I saw the "465" error too and it was because one of my valves isn't assigned to a zone. The API timeout may have just been a server issue on their side that can be ignored if it isn't persistent. If it is, try logging in again through the Hubitat app.

I do not see those issues but the code and errors are bridge related. Is your Orbit bridge connected and can you see it from the phone app? You may need to reset the device connection (in the app under the Orbit bridge device).

I can access the orbit station local or remote through the orbit app. No issues there.

crap.. another community app that's not being maintained anymore. I just noticed the log error mentioned above and wanted to see if it could get fixed.

java.lang.NullPointerException: Cannot invoke method toInteger() on null object on line 265 (method refresh)

I see a PR already opened for maybe another issue. I'm sure this one would also be super easy/fast to fix too.

Is anyone interested in re-packaging and submitting to HPM? I just did this yesterday with a Life360 app that wasn't maintained anymore. I could do this one too I guess if no one objects or wants to.

2 Likes

Funny enough, it's on my to-do list too, but if you've got the time...

The error for me is only against a new timer I added this season that I believe is not assigned to a zone so the code is choking on it.

Everything still functions though from my testing.

1 Like

In my case the hose works too so it's just a error in the logs every 10 minutes

I wonder if others just manually edit the drivers locally - knowing that they're not going to be updated by HPM anytime soon (or ever)? I think I did that in the past once but then some time down the road I forget all about it.

It's totally up to you.. I'm still trying to get my first HPM package in but it seems fairly straightforward too

Curious how you guys are using this with HE? I had this installed for a while, but it wouldn't consistently work and I'd have to remove devices and reconfigure to get to working again, only to have it stop working a few days later.

My experience with the app has been that it works absolutely fine, does exactly what I need, responds to rain delays per my settings, and notifies me after watering of each area is completed, just as intended. Since it's cloud based, I cannot figure out what I'm missing by not using it with HE, especially since I don't have soil moisture sensors.

The ability to spray my dogs with the hose on-demand :smiley:

2 Likes

LOL. So nothing in particular, because you can do that from the app :wink:

There's an HA integration for anyone that has that running simultaneously with HE like I do. But without soil moisture measurements, I'm not planning to integrate it into my smart home. I've read enough disappointment with the performance, longevity and minimal gains from the investment in wireless moisture sensors to keep me from spending any money or time on them.

True, but the app doesn't let me add a widget to tap to turn the hose on/off. I'm doing that through HE with the HD+ dashboard app.

I am no programmer so I can only assist with testing when someone takes over this code.
I am using this integration mainly for tracking watering times and showing watering time on the dashboard. Also, manually triggering certain sprinklers when needed.

There's an Alexa integration. I have not tried it, but it's probably good enough. One could trigger a virtual sensor via a switch and thus an Alexa routine to turn on the valve.

This is similar to how I fill the coffee maker each morning. I press a button on my 6 button Opple/Xiaomi controller, HA closes a Hubitat virtual switch/contact sensor, and that triggers an Alexa routine to “Ask Delta to pour X amount of water”. Takes a few seconds to respond, but that’s fine. I just stand there blurry-eyed hold the coffee pot until it fills. :joy:

Well, I don't fancy keeping a button on my uncovered back porch :grin:. That's why I went the widget route because the wife and I basically always have our phones on hand. So, functionally, I'm doing your recommendation. Just replacing the actual button with a widget and Alexa with HE as an intermediary.

1 Like

Yes. Just an example. The trigger can be physical to software, or software directly (i.e. dashboard, voice command, etc)

I'm aware. Just giving my use-case for having it in HE.

1 Like

FWIW - Since this app wasn't being maintained anymore I took the original app/driver, made a couple of small changes to fix the errors I was seeing on a regular basis in the logs and re-submitted it to HPM. I started a new thread here with details:

I'm NOT trying to take any credit for this app/driver -- it's a very well written app. I'm also not sure how much I can add to it but if anyone else wants to submit pull requests (PR) for additional changes please do and I'll try to make sure it stays updated.

3 Likes

I'm using Google Assistant to control my hose with my voice.. I've got an outdoor speaker that has Google Assistant built-in and I regularly say "hey google, turn hose on" and voila! The hose is turned on for 15 minutes and turns off automatically when done.

FWIW - I used to keep my hoses always on until I had one burst -- so now I try to only turn them on when needed.

It just requires this app and the Google Home app (built-in)

1 Like

I should also say that the Orbit app is terrible.. I tried adding a second timer the other day and it took forever. Initially the app wouldn't login (I think Orbit was having server issues) but it just froze there.

It's added now but switching between 2 timers is still painfully slow in the Orbit app.

Generally speaking I love my Hubitat Hub because I can pull lots of cloud-based devices (Orbit, Rachio, Harmony, Blink, etc) into HE and control them all using the same rules as my other ZWave/Zigbee devices...

Which really means I can integrate any of them with Google Assistant for voice control. Or, view and control any of them via dashboard (I have 2 wall mounted tablets running HD+ -- #shamelessplug)

The best part is -- I don't need to open multiple apps from different companies to do any of this!

1 Like

Old threat, I know, but looks like nobody picked the integration up. Here's a quick fix for the controller app, line 335 java.lang.NullPointerException: null on line 335 (method refresh)
Simply replace line 335, 336 with the "if" clause below and the annoying log entries will go away...

if (it.status.next_start_time != Null ) {
                                def next_start_time_local = Date.parse("yyyy-MM-dd'T'HH:mm:ssX",it.status.next_start_time)
                                d.sendEvent(name:"next_start_time", value: next_start_time_local.getTime())
                            }
1 Like