Night Light

So I have been playing with the 3rd Reality night lights and I have to honestly say, they're fantastic. I have a couple of the Centralite night lights and they could have been a fantastic product if they had allowed you to specify color through zigbee control. They even have a backup battery! It supported only level and on/off though. They were discontinued before really having any firmware fixed.

Enter the 3rd Reality night light. Supports color, hue, saturation, illumenance, level, motion, on/off and dimming. Even moving up just 1 level (on a scale of 1-100) is noticeable. It is also a zigbee repeater. I can't recommend these enough. I had originally bought it for giggles but hadn't played with it much. Now that I have, I feel it's one of those gems your find...(Like finding a really good tool at harbor freight. Unlikely but once in a while.......) Anyway, here's a link

Note: Motion is separate from the light, so you have to set the light to come on with motion. The advantage to this is it can use motion as a trigger for other rules when you don't need the light portion.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0C9LNXYLL/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

6 Likes

Looks interesting, shame they didn't make this a plug as well.

Centralite one wasn't either... (But had battery backup!)

1 Like

You convinced me. Expecting delivery tomorrow and looking forward to testing out the Set Level with Duration. If I can set a pleasant fade on/off, then I may have another application.

1 Like

it'll run as a dimmer

This is one of those things i have that isn't smart. I use these.

Single - SnapPower GuideLight 2 [For Duplex Outlets] - Replaces Plug-In Night Light - Electrical Receptacle Wall Plate With LED Night Lights - Auto On/Off Sensor - (Duplex, White) https://a.co/d/1kynKin

They use a light sensor to turn on/off and provide just enough light to help see, but not so much to ever cause a issue with being to bright.

They use so little power i have never felt a need to replace them. I suspect a smart light would use more power just because of the smart guts running all the time. That said i am sure it is nice to be able to change colors.

Well it's also a motion sensor and it lets me see when my kids are getting up to go to the bathroom.. I'm not sure if the energy difference is enough to make me try something else. Right now it's just to make sure I don't miss lol (huge waf) but I can also incorporate it into my wife's bathtub mode.

I also purchased one to play around with. It's a very versatile device. I like it.

1 Like

I bought a few more. I'm gonna relegate my old centralities to the basement

I just purchased the Third Reality nightlight and I’m having problems with the motion detection turning the light back on after it turns off from lack of motion. Do you know the cooldown period or/and can you share your automation?

I was just about to post about an issue with this device.

At first it was great, but the other day I updated the firmware, and now the motion sensor is triggering the light to come on and I don’t have any rules set up for that. :face_in_clouds:

It looks like it takes 1min for it to go active and inactive, the. 2min cool down from inactive to off based the event log.

I just went into the device page and hit “Configure”, seemed to have made my issue stop for the mean time.

Not exactly the issue you are having, but it might be worth updating the firmware from the device page, then hit “Configure”

This is another thread about this device

The motion sensor has a local routine that does this automatically unless you remove it. I think you can turn it off by pushing the reset button for five seconds. The light should flash and possibly be a color.

1 Like

Thanks for that info, I bookmarked your post incase it starts happening again.

Not sure if the firmware or hitting configure stopped it for this time.

I really like the device, but it’s been a pain in the butt a few times now.

What firmware are you on with it?

• firmwareMT: 130D-0000-00000032

I think it may be a cooldown issue. I have the light turn off after no motion for two minutes. If there’s motion soon after the light turns off, the light does not turn back on. If there’s motion sometime later the light does turns on.

I haven't had that issue. I also have the matter version that works well too.

Thanks for the info. I may try the Matter version.

They've both been fine for me.

Merry Christmas To All !

I received a third reality nightlight today, got it all setup and it all of the functions seem to be working (motion, luminescence, switch). Two things I noticed that I’m wondering if anyone has experience with is, sometimes when I change the color of the RGB light, the light turns off. The device still reports it as on but I have to either press “on” again or press “set color” again and it will come back on and set the correct color.

The other thing I noticed is that the “flash” function does not work. If I press flash when the led is on, nothing happens. If I press flash when the led is off the led will come on dim but not flash.

has anyone else experienced the same issues?

The firmware of the nightlight is 130D-0000-00000032
And
The software of the nightlight is v0.00.50

Thank you all and happy new year!