Newer Tuya Power Strip works fine with generic drivers

If somebody still interested in Zigbee / Z-wave controllable power strip - here is my experience.

After reading few threads like this (https://community.hubitat.com/t/xenon-4-gang-2-usb-extension-unable-to-switch-off-individual-sockets/) with mixed success ratio I still decided to give it a try. I ordered probably a newer version from amazon from some no-name vendor because it was the cheapest one and all of them looked exactly the same. It's 4-gang + 2 USB A + 1 USB A QC 3.0 + USB C PD 20W.

To my surprise everything worked out just fine out of the box using Generic Zigbee Multi-Endpoint Switch. So I decided to get another one. By that time no-name vendor was sold out, so I ordered Xenon one for a few more dollars.

As I expected - that was exactly the same device and the box and useless manual page. The only difference was in label on the power strip itself (Xenon vs. Zau Zau). Here is the link to amazon page of this power strip: Amazon.com

With Xenon power strip - I also tested, that it pairs again after factory reset. It worked out as expected.

Here is how device reports itself:

• endpointId: 01
  • application: 40
  • inClusters: 0000,0003,0004,0005,0006,E000
  • isMultiEP: true
  • manufacturer: _TZ3000_cfnprab5
  • model: TS011F
  • outClusters: 000A
  • softwareBuild:

I have C7 hub if that matters.

1 Like

Saw Amazon had 5 of the zau zau ones in stock again. There was also another company that had some that appeared identical.

Does it just turn off/on the individual 120VAC outlets? Or is there any power monitoring?

Are the USB ports always on, or can they be controlled?

I think they are all the same. The first one arrived in the box with shipping label on it and Xenon box was in the envelop. So whatever cheaper at the moment should do. Packaging does not have any branding and the only difference is the label on the strip itself. They are reported exactly the same way by Hubitat.

Yes - you can turn on/off whole strip or each outlet individually. I do not have any reason to think they have any power monitoring - otherwise it would be advertised. USB ports are controlled as a group - they can be turned on/off all together - so in Hubitat this strip has five switches - four for outlets and one for all USB ports together:

I have the same one with same TZ300_cfnprab5 and had to remove it, it kept leaving and rejoining the network. You can monitor for this behavior by keeping track of the 16 bit address aka "Device Network ID".
I think @kkossev confirmed this.

1 Like

OK I'll watch it for the next couple of days and report back.

I didn't try to include this strip in any automation yet, so what are practical implications of this behavior - is it becoming a new device in hubitat and it will break any automation referring to it?

As long as it works, do not remove the device.

The problematic batch in the past could also in some cases join and stay connected on the first try (depending on unknown factors), but once deleted from the hub it was almost impossible to stay connected anymore.

1 Like

No it will just slot back into place and not create a new device, and as long as its connected the automations will continue to run. However the behavior can be destabilizing to the Zigbee network and is not ideal.
And IIRC people reported it sometimes rapidly switching on/off by itself

Mine came in today.... will watch it and see if any funny business happens......

I've had mine working in my office last couple of days controlling heater and multiple lights. Its worked perfectly.

I had the last version and i ended up connecting it to Home Assistant due to the inconsistent performance with Hubitat on a C8. It works fine on that but not ideal.

Will be buying another one of the newer ones :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Yes - I remember reading that - so I ordered a second strip (I was out of return window on the first one). By now I tried with both of them - I can remove them from hub, factory reset and then connect them back with no visible problems.

Zigbee Id remains the same but device network id changes after reset. I guess that's expected. Over the past week none of them experienced unexpected change in network id or any clicks/power cycles of outlets.

Maybe newer ones have better firmware and now behave as they should?

I did not observe anything like that over the past week. Device network id remained the same, unless I removed/reset/re-join those strips. No unexpected clicks and no evidence of power loss / power cycle that I noticed too.

2 Likes

Here is the link to amazon page of this power strip: Amazon.com

It looks to me like this link is for a WIFI version, not a Zigbee.

This is a trick used in AliExpress - hiding the different device options as a 'Color' ...