New Zooz ZEN16 Multirelay

I have been watching this thread and I had an idea this morning. The ZEN16 reports physical state changes (via SW) and digital (via zwave) with different reports. The stock driver handles them both as on/off but tags as physical vs digital. I will have to test that parameter set to 2 to see if it sends all the reports still. If the RM can see the difference between those two it might be possible to link each child to two virtual switches. If not then possibly a custom driver could achieve it (as long as the reports are sent from the device).

My only hang up is my ZEN16 is already mounted and connected to my garage door, but I guess I could play with SW2 if I go up there and jump the sw2 to test the physical switch.

Also, when you "ask" the device for the state I am not sure if it will respond with the state of the SW or the R circuits in this setup.

2 Likes

There is feedback on the relay.
Let me expand upon my experiment, above:
In the above configuration, when SW1 contacts are connected, the dashboard tile for the relay turns yellow (on) but the relay does not click. If the relay is operated by clicking the tile, the tile turns color. The relay does operate and there is feedback. Unfortunately, the only feedback SW1 provides is the same relay indicator.

1 Like

Check the event log, you should see "digital" and "physical" events. So you could separate it either with RM and virtual switches, or a custom driver that handles the different reports as different child devices.

I am going to see if I can get virtual switches working on mine for SW2 which I am not using for anything.

Update: Using the "Physical Switch" capability in RM I can turn a virtual switch on / off for ONLY a physical event. BUT for some reason they do not have a corresponding "digital" capability.... and in the conditions I don't see a way to tell the difference between digital/physical so using a "changed" type rule was out. Would need two rules just for one Physical on/off. Could probably make something complicated with a global var to detect the digital vs the physical. Too bad it is not already in the RM :frowning:. Devs???

2 Likes

When I turn the parent relay on:

When I turn on SW1, with parameter 12=2:

I still don't think you can trust what the status is because the relay as well as the switch change the status.

If anyone has a ZEN16 they can more easily test (mine is mounted to the garage ceiling and it is -8F outside right now), you can try out a rule like this one I just came up with. Posted in another thread since its sort of a separate topic.

Try my example of the physical ON or OFF when the relay is already in the same state. I am curious if the ZEN16 still reports the status back even though it is not changed. If it reports it every time and the driver sends an event then this rule should work. May possibly need a custom driver though.

Further idea for reporting checking, if you change the driver to "Device" it will log all the commands it gets back, so this could be used just to test if the device sends a report every time the SW is changed even if the Relay is already in the same state. Same for the Relay but you would need another way to send it an on/off zwave command because that driver doesn't have one.

1 Like

I may try that when I get home late tonight.

Using Device driver.
SW1 contact (on and off):

This is what I get when I hit "on" on my Zen34 which is associated with the Zen16. Note that association only works with the parent relay and can't seem to access the children. I'm curious how it all works, with the ever-changing value after @. I'm no programmer though.

The random looking numbers after the @ are because the .toString() is still not implemented in multichannelv4.MultiChannelCmdEncap.... has been reported but not fixed. They really need a better issues tracker because I have no idea if they forgot about it at this point or what.

The associations CAN be tied to the children but you need to setup a multi-channel association which I don't know if any drivers support that (yet :wink: ). It can be done manually using a Zwave stick though.

If that second screenshot where you turned the association ON, the SW was already ON thats the case I was worried may not report back. You are seeing what is likely 4 SwitchBinary reports, the first is the parent so it is not multichannel encapsulated (endpoint 0). The other 3 are the states of each endpoint which should have all turned ON based on the association to the main endpoint.

EDIT: If the rules wont work with the stock driver and custom driver is needed for this to work, I WILL make one. Cannot promise any sort of timeline but I am up for the challenge. Should be able to put together something crude for testing without too much effort.

1 Like

I'd really be interested in how to do that. I can see a use for control over a machine that you want enhanced reliablity.

The built-in device handler does implement this with child devices.

He is talking about setting up an association on another device that directly controls one of the child devices (like R1, endpoint 1) instead of the parent device (endpoint 0). The driver on the other device would need to support setting multi-channel associations which most do not even support regular associations let alone multi-channel.

We will also be releasing a new model that will support the ability to separate the inputs and outputs to use the Sw terminals for monitoring only. It's a 2-relay device but it features a NO and NC relays. The product will be released in mid-March but we should have beta tester samples available in a week or so. You can send me a message or submit a request for a sample to our support.

9 Likes

A few questions:

What are these screw mounts that you used to connect the terminal block to the box?

And how hard was it to mount the Zen16 to the box? What kind of screws did you use (if you recall)

20200322_152046 2

https://www.amazon.com/Positions-Terminal-Pre-Insulated-Barrier-MILAPEAK/dp/B07CLX1VW5/ref=sr_1_2?dchild=1&keywords=12pcs+(6+Sets)+8+Positions+Dual+Row+600V+15A+Screw+Terminal+Strip+Blocks&qid=1615320198&s=hi&sr=1-2

Hi @agnes.zooz -- can you please share any updates on this project? I wasn't able to beta test earlier due to weather (testing location would be my detached garage up here in MN), but I'm definitely interested about this new device now that weather is improving!

Thanks for following up. It should be available from The Smartest House on Monday at the latest. I'll post the link here as soon as it's out!

4 Likes

Awesome news -- I' have my credit card ready! :sweat_smile:

1 Like

I will be lining up to purchase this as well. @agnes.zooz - it sounds very much like the older FortrezZ Mimo2+. Am I on the right track? Would love to see a newer and more supported product than mimics much of what the Mimo2+ does as this would be very helpful in my water valve application where not only do I want to turn on/off the valves but also need to monitor wether they fully close or not so need signal sensing separate from operation of the relays.

Will there be a device handler available for use with Hubitat when the product is released?

1 Like

@Levahj Not sure if Zooz has anything else in the works but I am going to be working on a driver as soon as I can! I have been super busy with work recently and have not had time for side projects.

If they do put one out for SmartThings I can also borrow that and port it over to get people going.

1 Like