New Wyze Door contacts and Motion Sensors

So...depending on how up to date Wyze is keeping their Alexa Skill... It might be possible to have the Wyze Contact and Motion sensors trigger an Alexa Routine, which in turn could modify a virtual device in Hubitat. Some just needs to see if Wyze has exposed these new Contact and Motion sensors to Alexa via the Wyze Skill.

I do this same exact thing for my Ring Doorbell. I use a Virtual Motion/Switch combination driver which allows the Alexa Routine to 'turn on' my virtual motion sensor. That same driver also automatically 'turns off' my virtual motion sensor after a few seconds, to make sure Alexa can turn it back on again later.

From this link.

1 Like

That at least sounds promising...

Thanks for the update!

I just got my Wyze Contact Sensor working in Hubitat with IFTT and it does a good job. I create a Vitual Switch and create a trigger in IFTT and got it to work. It does a good job.

Can I ask, what sort of latency are you experiencing??

1 Like

@njanda I have not testing it and I would say three or four second? I started to count and got to three. I'm just testing it with a office light turning off/on.

Ok, thx. That’s not too bad

I just ran across this. It will be a multi-part article but if you are interested in hacking things, this might be worth following. Reverse Engineering WyzeSense bridge protocol

2 Likes

Thank you for posting this! I knew someone with the right skills would eventually crack this nut. Seems like it wouldn't be too terribly hard for someone to create a RPi Wyze Sense integration with a webSockets interface that Hubitat could monitor. The Hubitat side would be relatively simple. It's the RPi side where the real skill is needed. :thinking:

1 Like

The github code is certainly a good start. I don't have any of the sensors but it might be worth getting a kit just to see. Well worth giving this project a watch.

A comment by the author.

I found a trick allowing you to get a remote telnet console without physically soldering the wire. So far I verified it works with v2 camera running firmware 4.9.4.37. Following these steps:

1. Prepare an SD card and fill it to its 70% capacity with garbage data
  2. Create a directory “/record/;telnetd” at the root of the SD card
  3. Insert the card into the wyze camera, wait for a couple minutes
  4. You should be able to telnet into your camera.
  5. Once logged in, run “echo 1>/configs/.Server_config”. This will persist the telnetd even when the camera reboots.
4 Likes

Really wish the wyze stuff worked with Hubitat. The sensors work, the motion sensors work, the light bulbs are actually fantastic and I have 10 cameras around the house in and out.
The open close and motion sensors are so small, to integrate them in to a hub would be amazing. You cant beat the price either... If wyze would put in the work to integrate with Hubitat, ST etc they would capture a ton more market share.

I would post that on the Wyze forum instead of here. Wyze would have to open their API in order to have some type of integration.

@Dunginhawk I have the Wyze sensors working with Hubitat, I just create a virtual devices and use IFTT for the connection. I have most of my windows using the Wyze contact sensors and use the motion sensor to turn light off and on throught the Hubitat Hub. Works good so far.

Yes that is possible, but its more about the quickness of local hubitat vs the cloud with IFTTT. I want to use motion and open close sensors. Problem with IFTTT and motion is you are already halfway across the room by the time the light turns on :slight_smile:

There are a few things that the virtual switches would work for... would you mind outlining the process for doing that? I havent had much experience with the virtual switches.
thanks

1 Like

I use my for windows around my house so, I will know when they are open or closed and on my freezer door. I use one to turn on a bedroom light when I come in and it does a decent job maybe 3 to 4 seconds. Get back to the point I use virtual Switches mostly for Amazon Alexa to turn off lights, tv etc when we go to bed as my wife is very much prone to forget and we just hit the switch and everything that we have tied to the switch is off. That one use for the virtual switch. Thanks

I have seen an IFTTT delay take minutes to run an applet after a trigger event.

Mine hasn't been that long as of yet and I been using for a few months now.

My observation on this is that it is service dependent. I've seen Maker/Webhooks take an extraordinary amount of time (maybe up to 10-15 minutes), while other services I've used are fairly reliably within seconds (less call it 2-8 seconds).

It goes without saying that nothing via IFTTT is going to be as reliable or quick as local execution on Hubitat. Probably not even as reliable or quick as SmartThings (though I wouldn't want to argue that one).

VOTE HERE to help the cause...

4 Likes