New user - looking forward to Hubitat

After a 3 day Internet outage (what a horror story), I made the decision that it was time to dump ST. I had JUST convinced my wife that my z-wave switches DO work without the Internet and then we lost it. As I prayed she did not try the switch for the Shelving LEDS since it was in the wall but powered only and used Smart Lighting to control my Zooz RGBW controller ;). If she hit that one I was in trouble! 2nd day of no Internet I hopped on my phone and bought a Hubitat. Should be arriving tomorrow and that switch will be the first one I convert!

I do wonder - probably have to create a new post on it but I want to do the same thing but use the dimmer capabilities of the switch to dim the Zooz controller. Anyone ever try something like this on Hubitat?

thanks all!
scott

8 Likes

Welcome to the bright side Scott

I'm sure someone will come along and assist with your question shortly, it's a great community

Rick

1 Like

Probably, though I'm not exactly sure what you mean. I assume you might mean "mirroring" the internal dim level of the Zooz to a different light (one not directly controlled by the load of the switch, I mean, as might be the case with smart bulbs on any circuit or just another light). That is possible with some devices, and there are a couple ways you can set that up in Hubitat.

Personally, I prefer to simply respond to the button events from the switch/dimmer and manipulate the light accordingly (most modern Z-Wave switches send "scenes" or button events for pushes, holds, and releases and often also multi-taps, including any current Zooz). Then, I don't have to worry about "mirroring" anything or wondering what happens if I change the lights directly without the switch. Most of my house is filled with Hue bulbs where I do exactly this with a combination of Zooz and Inovelli switches and dimmers and remotes like Lutron Picos (no difference in how any of these work foenrbja, all button devices--just some differences among the devices themselves like what features they support).

2 Likes

Glad you're making the switch. I recently migrated from ST myself and I and the wife have been quite happy. Things work when she expects them to, and that is all I can ask for haha. I switched a couple months ago, and have already added more devices and automations than I had running on ST.

I used Webcore on ST, and kept using it in HE as well. Local execution is great, and is so much faster than it was on ST.

I definitely recommend HE over ST, and have only had good luck with HE and expect I will in the future as well.

Couple tips when migrating, take your time. Try to migrate devices in groups (ones that have automations associated with one another). This way if you get some devices migrated and call it a night you will still have everything else working on ST. Ex) migrate any motion sensors and the lights they control at the same time. Then setup your motion lighting automation. That way the motion lighting still works and you don't have the sensor on ST, and the lights on HE.

Also, in prep to migrating I would recommend downloading manuals for every device you have. It took a while during the migration process to look these up and figure out what special buttons to press when enabling inclusion mode to pair the device to the new hub. Some devices are simple (most smart switches is just the on paddle), but some weren't. If you do this before you have your hub in hand, it should save you a bit of time doing it while trying to exclude/include the device.

I hope your transition goes smooth, and the wife is happy after the transition! I know my wife was!

2 Likes

I agree with @bertabcd1234. Just creating a rule to respond to switch/dimmer events and using scenes etc would be the way to go.

If you really want to sync a dimmer with the controller in that case there is an system app called "mirror" that might work for your situation.

1 Like

I would be careful bringing stuff over piecemeal you can mess up both meshes and lower WAF to the extreme - the issue is other connected devices can suddenly go out of range when you exclude and either your original hub becomes erratic and/or you have difficulty including/controlling the new one.

To mitigate this you might want to start with a "skeleton" layout of some devices on your new hub (I've used extenders) that can act as repeaters - pair them in an outward fashion from the hub. Then when migrating - do the opposite, go from outward back in.. I am in the process of doing this now for my C-4 to C-7 migration and it seems to be working well so far.. :crossed_fingers:

5 Likes

Thanks all, great advice. It just showed up on my doorstep. Hopefully my transition will be smooth. Other than lighting (zwave switches) I am not really doing too much at this point. I got a bit frustrated messing with ST a while back and stopped doing much. So right now it is z-wave switches and a few lighting automations with smart lighting app.

Agree.. Best to rip the bandaid off.. Mesh will need a little TLC the first day or so, but it will settle down

2 Likes

Oh I also have Action Tiles. I know Hubitat has a web dashboard. Is it as easy as Action Tiles by chance?

It's as easy or as complex as you want it to be. There are some really creative people on here doing some amazing stuff but if you just want the basics once you figure out the UI it's easy.

2 Likes

Here's some great examples of things people have done.

Check out HubConnect to ease your transition. It allows you to use devices connected to your ST hub, and it does not require an Internet connection once installed. I used it for a while and it helped a lot.

1 Like

Also see this amazing project if Android​ is an option for you...

1 Like