New: Third Reality Power monitoring plug

while your at it if you could get them to fix the fw in this as well otherwise it is a nice product..
ie

1 Like

its all the same "feature", ie no implementation of reporting configurations...

3 Likes

If you can get them to get freaking double-taps on their buttons to be consistent, I'll give you a dollar :laughing:.

2 Likes

Hope they look at this, most like their product(s), but if there is no support then...I got 16 days left to return, lol.

1 Like

Those should go on the "do not use with hubitat" list. That's crap,

EDIT: Ok, to be fair, this is something that could be fixed with new firmware. I guess we should give them a chance to say if they will fix it or not. And I do say "fix", as that is broken - not a "feature".

2 Likes

yeah, kind of where I'm headed with these guys, i certainly intend to play that card...
The fellow that sends me the firmware updates does post here from time to time.

4 Likes

FWIW, @ThirdReality - I recently needed a couple power reporting plugs. Wanted to get ThirdReality. Saw this topic, got a two-pack of Sengled power-reporting plugs instead.

5 Likes

It will be a crying shame if they dont help out. This thread clearly shows there is interest in their products. I hope they come through because at battery change time this spring I was planning on replacing all my battery sensors left in my house with theirs because of the AAA batteries.

3 Likes

Agreed.

I like their offerings. But as much as I like the features/price point, it doesn't make any difference if they don't work well / cause other issues.

4 Likes

For those who do not need the power monitoring feature, I see that Amazon has the Third Reality Gen1 plugs back in stock. For a while, they only had the Gen 2 plugs available. The Gen 1 plugs work well without the added traffic on the mesh. The Gen1 plugs are also cheaper.

https://www.amazon.com/THIRDREALITY-Zigbee-Function-Certified-Required/dp/B09KNDM4VV/

4 Likes

Thanks! I also saw that a few days ago and snapped up the gen1 plugs.

I’m glad I revived this thread and asked about how chatty the gen2 plugs are. No way I’m touching those unless there is a confirmed firmware update that makes them function in a way that ‘the elders’ (using that term with due respect, and not an age reference) deem proper.

be sure to put labels on em! A year from now, I'll forget there was a difference and stumble into this again lol

Yeah! I did purchase 4 of the power monitoring plugs as I occasionally want to check power draw. For most applications, the Gen1 plugs without power monitoring are adequate. There are a few smart plugs I use for their switching capability, but many I just use as repeaters. The Third Reality Gen 1 plugs are great repeaters. At the low price, you can get several.

I was playing with Wireshark as I learn how to really use its capabilities for Zigbee sniffing and thought I'd see just how much of my Zigbee traffic is the electrical monitoring traffic from my 4 Third Reality power monitoring plugs:

Top line is total Zigbee packets, bottom line is traffic excluding the Metering and Measurement clusters. This tells me I really do NOT want to add any more of these to my network :frowning:

9 Likes

Now i want to see what other monitoring plugs are doing. I use Iris v1 plugs and was told to use them sparingly.

Yeah... That's the reason I only have Wi-Fi power mongering plugs. Of course I have to integrate them through home assistant or node red, and then back into hubitat, but I don't have to worry about update rates in any practical way.

My unifi APs can handle quite a lot of traffic and clients.

You have to do that with a Kasa?

Good point. I'm sure there are some that natively integrate with hubitat.

I'm not using kasa right now, I think mine are sonoff s31s - which may also be able to integrate locally to hubitat, I'm not sure.

I tend to not put lan integrations on my hubitat to avoid loading issues.

My home assistant and node-red containers have much higher spec hardware, so they're a better place for lan integration that could be chatty in my opinion.

2 Likes

I might have a stupid question, but... How much is to much? My setup is snappy and reliable today, but I wonder if this will this bite me as things grow given all the warnings on the forums.

I have four of these on my network. I see them pop every 30 seconds or so in the ZigBee logs on my C-8.

My HE setup is around 65 devices with 31 on ZigBee. I have a lot of Kasa on LAN with aggressive polling configurations.

The 3R plug driver does take 60% of my device processing time, but I'm at 4% total... Apps add another 2%.

So they are definitely chatty for devices that trigger automations once or twice per day or less, but seen from the hub, everything is fine. The hub sits idle and one message per 30 sec feels reasonable.

The wireshark numbers shared above tell a very different story, but I'm not equipped to sniff my network.

What am I missing? Are my numbers scarrier than I understand? Any other tools/app within HE that could help me see deeper?

I do the same with this plug and it was trivial to do.