"New" SmartThings 2018 sensors

Is there any way to adjust the sensitivity of these motion sensors? I find them very fast and, if anything, a bit too sensitive, id really like to be able to fine tune them to prevent cats from triggering the ML all the time :slight_smile:

AFAIK there are no adjustable parameters on these or any of the ST sensors.

Edit: Funny note, my kitchen sensor triggers when the toaster finishes, I am considering this a feature as I've never had a "smart" toaster before!

5 Likes

:rofl: OK, I think I need to order one of these. I want a smart toaster too!

Not sure about model compatibility, it may require at least a 4 slice toaster, and probably requires at a minimum a medium-well done setting! :rofl:

2 Likes

Just received the 2018 ST motion sensor. Pretty fast reaction time, and I'm measuring 20 second reset time on mine. Should be good for the porch. Will give it a try when the weather improves. Thanks for Mark!

I haven't tried this on the ST motion sensors but I have modified sensitivity AND coverage area on numerous other PIR sensors.

You can do it a couple ways... a piece of scotch tape over it will reduce sensitivity.

You can also pop off the plastic dome which is usual just a focusing lens for the smaller chip sensor under it. You can use black tape or maybe scotch tape on the inside of this lens to block out certain regions or reduce sensitivity.

Give it a try at your own risk though :slight_smile: YMMV. I've had great luck with it on some normal PIR occupancy sensor switches etc.

New firmware available for these devices.

It will be interesting to hear from the first person who updates their sensor for use with Hubitat. Wonder if the update will break anything?

I haven't noticed anything not working so far, so I'm hesitant to risk updating and breaking something unexpected, but I might try anyway. :slight_smile: If I had to guess, previous updates made small changes in the fingerprinting that broke Hubtiat's driver matching, so someone who pairs the device completely new to Hubitat might want to see if that still works and grab the fingerprint information (from "More..." during pairing) if that's the case. I'm likely going to leave most of mine on Hubitat and just reset them to temporarily join to ST to get these updates, then move them back and keep the automations in place that way.

I wonder if the button gets another update.
I hate to un-pair it and then re-link all of the automatons.
I suppose mine is healthy now after I did this once already.

No need--just reset it and join it to SmartThings, then remove it from ST and reset/re-join it to Hubitat without deleting the device from Hubitat in between. It will match the up the factory-set 64-bit address (the "short" 16-bit device network address will be updated), and all your automations and whatnot will stay intact. :slight_smile:

The only problem I had last time I did this is that these things take forever to join both my Hubitat and v2 ST hub networks. I almost gave up, and in once case I even did try deleting the device from Hubitat to see if that helped it get discovered as "new" faster (it didn't).

(To anyone reading this out of context, I should clarify that it only applies to ZigBee.)

3 Likes

Ok, I decided to try updating one of my 2018 motion sensors. IDE shows that the firmware update has started, but it's been 10 minutes and it hasn't finished. How long should it take for a single sensor to update?

OK, I'll confess to TL / DR on this thread. I was just doing a search for the outlet as I wasn't sure it was working correctly and I just bought it. ( Samsung SmartThings Outlet [GP-U999SJVLDAA] Smart Plug).

I forgot to hit configure and Save Preferences, but after I did that it works with Hubitat no problem. For those like me, it actually works fine without doing that, but it doesn't work right on the dashboard. (Meaning, works with rules and devices directly, but dashboard didn't know what to do). Hit configure and save preferences and it works on the dashboard as well.

Maybe it's above in the 100+ threads, but I wasn't going to read all that just to give folks my experience... :slight_smile:

@mike.maxwell I just added one of these to the lid of my chest freezer. It reports xyz axis, but only when it senses acceleration. So if I open the freezer lid, for some reason it doesn't sense acceleration (the direction moving away from the magnet), but when I close the lid, that direction of movement (sensor moving towards the magnet) senses acceleration and updates the xyz axis .

If I open the lid, and then tap on the sensor, the xyz axis is updated, but Refresh in the driver does not update the xyz access. I want to be able to sense the difference between a lid that is not fully closed, because some food is in the way to something like that, and one that is fully open for too long (likely because my kid has forgotten to close it) so I can have different TTS announcements and App notifications.

Would it be possible to either have Refresh update the xyz axis status, or force acceleration from the driver so that the xyz axis will update?

I know you don't like them but the xiaomi vibration sensors allow you to set "open" & "closed" based on position. That could work

1 Like

Have one. Was thinking the same. Still eyeballing it for the dishwasher door. Figure if my third HEM due next week, and it were combined, I could reliably have Alexa answer the question β€œAre the dishes clean?”

It’s a very tight fit on the dishwasher door, so I’m still not sure. That sensors readings aren’t stable on HE, at least the one I have isn’t, but joined to the Aqara hub and triggered in HomeKit, it’s actually pretty useful.

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.