New Schlage BE469ZP will not pair with Hubitat

New Schlage BE469ZP will not pair with Hubitate. This is a brand new warranty replacement for a BE469 that was paired to my hubitat in June of 2022 with no issues.

Fresh batteries, fresh POWER (at least 30 seconds) cycle on the HUB, bring Hub next to lock or lock next to Hub, and then get it exclude reliable several times. Then and only then try to include it.

1 Like

Just to be sure I'd factory reset it, then exclude it, then try to pair...

1 Like

Thank you for your reply.
I have tried all the suggestions. Nothing works. I had no problem paring with my Smarthings Hub so at least I know its not the lock. Went back and looked at another lock I replaced about a year ago. It Paired and can bee seen, but just realized it’ can’t be locked or unlocked with Hubitat. This is a BE469 not a BE469ZP. I guess my only option is to drop Hubitat since I have 6 of the schlage locks with a lifetime warranty. Unlees Hubitat plans to make some fixes.

I have one of each of those and it's working fine for me.
What model hub do you have?

And where in the pairing are you getting stuck? Is the hub not finding it in pairing mode at all, or failing to pair, etc.

1 Like

Model C-7. I choose include the device using Add Device->Zwave . I press the red button on the back of the lock. (This is new. Old locks do not have this red button). It searchs and never find the lock. When I use the exclude option it does exclude the lock. Only finding in exclude.

From your documentation, does the red button only initiate pairing, or does it also do a factory reset. If it only does pairing, based on my experience w/other Schlage Z-Wave locks, I'd look for a way to do a full factory reset and then try to initiate pairing w/the red button.

1 Like

Thank you for your reply.
Yes. It only does pairing. I have done a factory reset by holding the schlage button down while connecting the battery. It clears my entry codes so I know it did a reset.
This is a tough one.

1 Like

Just last week, I purchased a new Schlage BE469ZP lock from Amazon. I already had a BE469NX connected to and working with my C7 hub.

I also had difficulty getting the new lock to add to Hubitat. The first time I tried to add, it never completed the inclusion process but showed up in Z-Wave Details with incomplete data and never appeared in Devices.

I tried exclusion and factory reset of the lock but it continued to appear in the Z-Wave Details. I finally did the inclusion process again, being more patient and waiting until it finished. It successfully added the lock to Z-Wave Details as well as Devices. But the original partial entry still appeared in Z-Wave Details. I finally restarted the hub and the original partial entry disappeared from Z-Wave Details.

I guess you need to keep trying.

The new lock shows “S2 Access Control”, not “S2 Authenticated” like my other S2 devices. I don’t know if this contributed to my difficulties or just a sign that something is different in the firmware perhaps. See screenshot.

1st can you post your z-wave details page in it's entirety? (use windows snip)

2nd. You need to pair the lock within 2 feet of the hub because of the whisper mode encryption key exchange the lock does on pairing.

1 Like

Mine paired while in the door 25 feet from the hub.

Each environment is different...if pairing from a distance doesn't work, then getting very close is a next step. :slight_smile:

@user2693 - It would be a very good idea to take a look at your Z-Wave Details page as @rlithgow1 suggests, both to confirm you aren't creating ghosts the failed attempts, and that there aren't other pre-existing ghosts that might be causing problems w/pairing.

3 Likes

I’ve had the same problem with this lock. My BEP469ZP was a version 1.0. It would not pair with HE and is a known issue. The only way I could get it to work was through Ring and then connecting Ring to Hubitat. I hope that helps.

Yes. I tried pairing within 2 feet. No luck.

Yes. Lots of Ghosts. Try to remove. Does not remove. Refresh does nothing.

1 Like

This is normal, they put themselves into that group to avoid being in the same group with regular devices. Access Control is an elevated group typically for border/entry devices.

I have two BE469ZP locks working fine. Paired them on the other side of the house, no issues. Do not recall if they have the red buttons or not. Firmware 3.03 reported on one of them.

Post screenshots of your Z-wave details page as asked above. Sometimes a nasty mesh will muck up the radio so bad nothing can be paired or excluded until it is fixed.

2 Likes

Post your z-wave details page. Those ghosts need removed or you'll have issues pairing anything.

2 Likes

Not sure what help the screenshot would be if there are no options to remove. Not sure how orphan nodes can really cause a problem. I think the issue here is that Hubitat does not support these locks anymore. Still works with Smartthings.

Hubitat can pair with these devices just fine. There is even a driver for these devices.

The devices were removed from the compatibility list due to Schlage having very poor firmware on some older devices, and Schlage not providing updates for that rotten firmware.

You have a problem that is local to your environment, Hubitat is not blocking pairing with these devices. They don't have the ability to block devices from pairing.

If a device is trying to route through a ghost node, which doesn't physically exist, then the messages won't get from the real device to the hub. Ghosts can cause lots of issues.

3 Likes

As @neonturbo indicated, there are lots of users who are using this lock with Hubitat. The lock was taken of the list of compatible devices (Hubitat doesn't support any device besides their hub), because of the large variability in z-wave environment dependent performance of the non-plus BE469 locks. Some of this variability is driven by the firmware version of the lock.

You are, of course, welcome to whatever course of action you prefer.

For anyone else reading this thread, I want to point out that the community members who asked you post z-wave details have considerable expertise is solving z-wave issues such as those you have encountered.

5 Likes