New Releases?

Hi HE,

It's been months since we have had any new firmware releases, is the dev team on vacations?

They come when they come. I have some upgrades come a month or two after the final release of fixes and i have swen it take 4-5 months on occasion as well.

I am sure they are working on it.

5 Likes

I think the community has been spoiled by the aggressive schedule the Hubitat folks have be working at. In other instances we would be happy to see an update every 6 months :slight_smile:

Now it seems there are few bugs to deal with so I'm sure the team is working on so new and nifty added capability.

4 Likes

Our definition of "months" differ. It has been less than 2 months since the last platform release.

Over the last 3-4 years, new major releases (eg. 2.3.5 to 2.3.6) have occurred every 2.5 - 3 months.

8 Likes

Let's all hope that "your" favourite enhancement is on their list!
(Surely you have one, don't you?)

1 Like

Thanks for the details, my C8 has been on 2.3.5.152 for a while now.

I must of been used to seeing them more often

Maybe they need @thebearmay in the team :wink:

(Just a joke... in case anyone is wondering... I still love the output of the HE dev's... :slight_smile: )

3 Likes

There were quite a few firmware updates and smaller hotfixes after the C8 was released, which makes some sense as it was a new hardware revision of the hub actually out in the wild for the first time.

Usually if you’re not seeing a new firmware update from the dev team, it’s because they’re busy working on the next one.

1 Like

Current firmware is stable and works great. I can't think of much else I need, either. They could release them every year or two as far as I'm concerned.

2 Likes

They are working on 2.3.6 at the moment. If you want to get in on the beta, you can join the beta team.

3 Likes

I hope in the next release, the lack of the ability to link Z-Wave devices as HomeSeer can do is addressed. My HomeSeer system allows me to directly link devices such that several switches controlling different loads can be easily linked by simply selecting the device to be linked. It is easy to have A control B & B control A or A control B, B control C & C control A. I use this feature to have any one switch for outdoor lighting control all the outdoor lighting. Earlier this summer, I sought forum help with this issue and was told to use the Mirror app. The Mirror app doesn't properly work! Quickly turning off one light gets missed by the other light. Dimming one light using a dashboard is not reflected in the other light. The HomeSeer link Z-Wave link feature doesn't have these problems.

1 Like

The process you’re describing is zwave direct association. It’s very unlikely that there will be a built-in app/driver for direct association, as indicated by Hubitat staff a few times in the past.

However, there are already a few community tools available for direct association. Here’s one from @MrFarmer:

Leaving direct association aside, this is a sure fire sign of a marginally functional zwave mesh.

3 Likes

@user5396 I agree with @aaiyar. Can you post your z-wave details page in it's entirety?

Here's my Z-Wave details:

Those devices look pretty good. It isn't many to create a robust mesh, but doesn't seem like it is needed.

You may want to see about custom drivers that support device association. Not sure about Jasco, but i know the Zooz Drivers created by the community support Device Association.

1 Like

The network shown was part of my existing HomeSeer system which has many more nodes. The HomeSeer system does not require any custom drivers to link Z-Wave devices. I ran into some other issues with my HomeSeer system caused by an upgrade to the system firmware. It seemed the Hubitat system would be an easy transition from HomeSeer. This does not seem to be the case. I don't see why Hubitat makes something easily done on a competitive system so difficult.

In what way? There really is no way to transfer the radio database of one manufacturers hub to another. They all have to be excluded/reset and re paired. If Hubitat has the signature of the device it pairs quite easily and gets the correct driver. Next it will assign what it thinks is closest and that can easily be changed with a button click. Or it will pair as DEVICE and you can change it to a compatible driver with a button click. Not sure where the difficulty lies.

I could be wrong, but I thought that devices controlled by z-wave associations didn’t report the state change back to the hub when it happened. This is why I got away from using associations and just use rules instead. It may be a tiny bit slower, but the hub then knows what state the device is in. I have to assume that the HE staff prioritized using hub based automations over direct associations to avoid this issue.

I think they are talking about how HS could automagically associate ZW devices together, whereas associations are more tedious to set up with any other system.

I have zero clue how HS does that, but I suspect it involves something murky behind the curtain; otherwise, I think you'd see other systems (HE, HA, whatever) embrace an easier path. Or maybe the other systems simply don't see the benefit of putting any effort into it (when rule-based automations can effectively do the same thing).

¯_(ツ)_/¯

2 Likes

@user5396 And to pile onto what has already been said, Zwave direct association (including in HomeSeer) is a bit of a mess. I tried it numerous times when I used HomeSeer, and it sounds great, on paper, but it is very device dependent and it can cause the hub to get out of of sync with the devices.

Here's the issue. Let's say you direct associate A to (B and C), so that a change in A controls B and C. Let's assume these are all simple dimmers, but with B and C from different vendors.

• When you make a change at A, it will report it to the hub and also command B and C. So the Hub will be synced with A.
  • B and C also change, but the hub doesn't (directly) see the command, so the hub doesn't know about the change
  • But maybe the hub learns about the change - here comes the device dependent part. When B and C undergo a change, some devices report every change back to their group 1 associated device (i.e., the hub), others don't.
  • So, since B and C are from different vendors, B might report to the Hub "I've changed, here is my new value" (ideally, all devices would do this, but they don't). For those that report, the hub gets synced
  • But maybe C doesn't report. So, though it changed, the hub sees it as unchanged.
  • Now any triggers that are based on C's state may fail.

My past experience was that "newer" devices tended to report back to the hub any time they are changed, but that "older" ones didn't. I think the newer HomeSeer dimmers / switches will report to the hub, but I had many older ones (WS100+ and WD100+ Zwave Plus devices but with pre-S2 firmware).

So, what you get with direct association is a fast way to control devices, but a lot of user experimentation to try and figure out what is going on with device reporting.

2 Likes