New Project: Hubitat System Metrics (Node Red, SQL Server, Grafana)

New Project: Hubitat System Metrics (Node Red, SQL, Grafana)

Objective: Create a storage and reporting system for all configured exportable data, events and logs.

Calculate historical system metrics across all system component domains.

• Application Level Logs
  • Device Logs
  • System Logs (all data)
  • Event Logs (all data)
  • All logs are captured and pinned to local time, with environmental #s (temp, humidity, etc..) as well as configurable Secondary and Tertiary Input devices. You pick the two devices, the commands and configure the responses headers.
  • Archive system backups as BLOB into the database (extreme waste of storage space? Let's see)

Reporting: Grafana and possibly tabular output using a web based Crystal Report configured dynamically system devices, applications,etc...

SQL Server: To be honest I have to do a little leg work to determine the storage capacity requirements for a "larger" system, exporting 100% of all available log activity stored 24/7/365

Side-note: The completion of this project assumes my Hubitat doesn't have a stroke with all the extra logging turned on.

For some time I experienced what I interpreted as a "bogged down system"
After digging in I realized I had a LOT of logging features turned on, as well as many devices needing clean-up from dropped devices to non-functional z-wave repeaters , broken rules ,etc..

Either way.. Those problems have all been long resolved. What caused the bogged down system initially? IDK. I didn't address each problem and retest the system performance. I will fully evaluate if that problem were to return.

Matt

Sounds good. Have you read this post [Hubitat Data Collection] ?
(Hubitat > NodeRed > MySQL > Grafana (LONG READ))

Yes. Many times

There is almost zero extra load on the hub, as events and logs are already exposed on websockets.

You might consider influxdb over sql, as its a time-based data store with auto-purging of old data, so you dont have to worry about filling up your disk. grafana integrates with influxdb so easily.

Would have though so but was just to be sure :slight_smile:

I have been using SQL for a long time. It is easily pulling in that much data live