New Phillips Hue tap Dial Switch

Hi
Phillips Hue recently released the Hue tap dial switch which is a great product offering four press buttons and a rotary dimmer in a very neat, wall mountable remote. It offers great potential as a highly configurable all-purpose switch but I cannot get it to work at all with Hubitat.

The official Hue app now allows accessories to register and then be controlled by another app (passed through) but the Hue Bridge integration only allows bulbs, which is very limiting.

The switch pairs directly with Hubitat but is incorrectly identified as a Phillips Dimmer Button controller V2 and does not function.

Any button press appears to be detected as pressing button 4.

Operating the dimmer dial results in a log entry like parse: [raw:catchall: 0104 0008 01 01 0040 00 EBAC 01 00 0000 06 00 01080400, profileId:0104, clusterId:0008, clusterInt:8, sourceEndpoint:01, destinationEndpoint:01, options:0040, messageType:00, dni:EBAC, isClusterSpecific:true, isManufacturerSpecific:false,

I suspect that either a new device driver is needed or a change to the integration app to support more than just bulbs.

Any suggestions?

It looks like there's been some success with the device directly paired to Hubitat:

1 Like

Thanks will check it out.

I've been able to use mine paired with the Hue bridge and using the custom App CocoHue.

Thanks, CocoHue was the solution.

1 Like

To be honest I haven't actually used the dial within HE, so it would be interesting to hear how you have setup any rules and alike. Given the buttons act as scene triggers, rather than on/off and dim up/down for my other hue dimmer remotes, I have left the controls in the Hue bridge, including the dial. I just detect that I have pressed one of the 4 buttons in HE so I can disable / enable motion lighting.

if we wait, will this get natively integrated to HE?

Curious myself. If I had a copy of the other dimmer drivers I think it would be rather simple to adjust it for this one. You can see the raw commands right in the logs.

Maybe I can play with the Aurora driver to build something.

Btw it looks like push-hold is always the same button response. That's how Hue likes to do these things.

Now that I have played with this a bit more, I'm confused how to actually set this up via Coco, without having it control a room in Hue directly. I was hoping I could leave it unassigned, but I'm not seeing that.

Do you guys just build a fake room that does nothing?

Ah I figured it out -- you have to tell the Hue app to configure the device in another application.

This thing doesn't feel quite right when using Coco versus native Hue control. Compared to the custom Aurora drivers that handle actual acceleration. All this does is push buttons 5 or 6 when rotating, and HOLD them if you go too fast. Kind of hard to do anything useful with that logic. About all I can do is have it jump to 0 or 100% when the held is seen.

I configured a 10% increase, or decrease, on each click and while not as good as native Hue control, it works fine as a dimmer

I ended up going direct to Hubitat. Works much much better than Coco. Obviously nothing compares to truly native Hue though.

In case anyone else was like me (and I know I am) confused about the setup: in CoCoHue’s “Advanced Options” you need to toggle Enable “push” updates for the switch to work.

I know this is an old thread - just tried it with the custom drivers - seem to work but I see these events in the log

dev:7942024-01-27 02:45:25.548 PMerrororg.codehaus.groovy.runtime.typehandling.GroovyCastException: Cannot cast object 'null' with class 'null' to class 'int'. Try 'java.lang.Integer' instead on line 163 (method parse)