New Model C-7 Hub Coming Soon

That doesn't make much sense to me... Hubitat wasn't able to reproduce the issue on the C-4/5 hub (aka the lock worked fine for them on the existing hub)....

So if it works on the C-7 in their lab, then what? You know no more than you did before, because it also worked for them on the C4/5...

The only semi (non-conclusive) test is if a person that has issues gets the new hub and it magically becomes reliable.

Directionally the new radio/increased sensitivity "should" do nothing but help. But whether that yields a meaningful difference is TBD / application dependent.

4 Likes

It is possible that @mike.maxwell may have acquired additional Schlage locks with older FW versions since the last time such tests were run.

3 Likes

And heck, we don't even know when we can buy the hub yet. Let's not get ahead of ourselves. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Wow, it is a heated topic! So far, my Schlage Door Lock works well with Smartthings, so I'm hoping the switch to HE won't be too bad. I really like all the other things that HE offers and I don't want to deal with Samsung's recent announcement regarding the change in running SmartApps in the future.

1 Like

If your locks work well with SmartThings, odds are high they'll work well with Hubitat. My recollection, from tests performed by @srwhite, is that Schlage FW versions of 7.1 and earlier performed poorly with ST as well.

For the record, I have had zero issues with my 3 Schlage locks. These are older Zwave (non-plus) locks on an older firmware. I do have a decently large Zwave mesh, there are both light switches and repeaters within a few feet of the locks.

I built out the mesh first with my Zwave light switches and repeaters. then added locks. I was even able to pair these locks in place (without having hub close by), which everyone claims is tough to do.

I don't know how to explain how a few like ljp-hubitat have apparently had horrible issues, while others like me have no issues. Worst case, you try the locks on Hubitat, and move them back to Smartthings and use the hub connect app to tie things together.

4 Likes

As @bravenel wrote in the first post:

What this means in layman's terms is that the new 700-series Z-Wave module can now be software-tuned to the appropriate radio frequencies for every global market. No more per-market models to manufacture/stock, since the C-7 can work anywhere and be configured for compliance in the config screens.....

2 Likes

I spent 5 mins in photoshop for ya mocking it up...

Screen Shot 2020-07-06 at 1.50.57 PM

This would be my guess of what it might look like.

3 Likes

The CE marking is a requirement for any electronics (and a lot of other goods) to be sold in EU. The only proper way to get the C-5 until now has been to import it yourself directly from Hubitat.com, wait half an eternity and pay the extra taxes and fees that follows from a private import. Due to the lack of CE marking theoretically the customs could decide to not deliver it at all and if it would burn down your house you'd (also theoretically) may be in trouble with your insurance company.

Weirdly, my C-4 have a CE marking. The C-5 that I bought to keep around as a backup don't. Would not have bought that one if I knew.

Anyway, here's to hoping that this now means that this can be sold from within the EU. Fast deliveries and no hidden fees would make this an attractive product to more people over here.

1 Like

I have a C4 too never checked for the CE but I think the C5 was HE 1st purpose built hub so that would make sense.

1 Like

Following

What problem are they having with the Schlage Door Locks? Mine has never given me any issues.

1 Like

i'm in aus, and the last 3 i ordered were c5's that came with uzb7 series usb, which i suppose technically makes them a c7?

No, it doesn't.
The 700 series has backwards compatible firmware, PLUS all the new 700 series features. The C5 you bought only speaks to the Compatible portion. The hub isn't detecting the 700 series features and thus does not use them... per a comment from Mike Maxwell on this question earlier.

2 Likes

Cant wait for it to come out. :grinning:

Hi

I’m very early in a project to determine if I should convert off of my ST hub to another platform.

Since everyone is out of Hubitats, there are no prices posted anywhere

Could someone tell me what the MSRPs are for current production models? If I can’t afford one, no sense in going any farther, eh?

Chuck

The price was $129 for the C-5 hub, right before the supply ran out....

2 Likes

I guess the current production model is the C-7, which isn't available yet (albeit will be up for sale very very soon from what was posted here).

The previous model was called the C-5. Its last price was $129.95 for the North American version and $149.95 for anywhere else in the world (plus taxes etc).

1 Like

that was a joke :wink: on a serious note, i did have to pull the uzb7 and replace with a uzb1 in all devices, the hubs would lock up completely randomnly using the new sticks, makes sense if its still trying to use old stack,

Are we getting the hub anytime soon?

2 Likes