New Model C-7 Hub Coming Soon

Yes. Specifically that a new service will be introduced for migration of a complete hub setup, including all paired zigbee and z-wave devices.

5 Likes

Yeah.. No. Z-Wave has backup/restore capabilities in the design spec. It's up to the software to implement them properly. With proper backup/restore you can backup the Z-Wave DB which is contained in the controller (Z-Wave Card/USB dongle) and then restore that to another controller.

Here's hoping to proper backup/restore of Z-Wave moving forward.

7 Likes

Not to be a Debbie Downer, but other than Zwave 700, there doesn’t seem to be any other benefit in moving to the C-7 seeing as all other specs are the same. I’m not a big Zwave user (just a few locks, switches and valve control) ... Hopefully for others this will improve Zwave performance.

1 Like

a new, chargeable, service maybe?
would certainly be useful for system integrators/commercial use.
maybe a single back-up would be allowed for domestic use.

In reading between the lines my C5 works perfectly -- the new version doesn't offer me anything else.

Just sayin

1 golden wonker ticket for you :smile:

3 Likes

Do I win a free hub. Regardless of the typos

I wonder, if they will charge for this service ?

i"m hoping every hub can have 1 free back-up service as a minimum. Beyond that they could charge I think...

What USB port? I am under the impression that the C-5 (and I assume C-7) only have a microUSB connector for power. Please someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't believe that the HE sends data over the charging port even if you plug a powered USB hub into it.....

You can use the C5's microUSB port for both power and a USB Zigbee/Z-Wave dongle if you add in an OTG USB Cable.

Here is an example cable...

https://www.amazon.com/DSYJ-Micro-Samsung-Player-OTHERS/dp/B00CXAC1ZW/ref=sxts_sxwds-bia-wc-p13n1_0?cv_ct_cx=OTG+Cable&dchild=1&keywords=OTG+Cable&pd_rd_i=B00CXAC1ZW&pd_rd_r=5b667a60-623f-4789-88fb-7c965fc016d6&pd_rd_w=TXaYG&pd_rd_wg=By16J&pf_rd_p=1da5beeb-8f71-435c-b5c5-3279a6171294&pf_rd_r=4BYX2Y3F9FW4735FBKFV&psc=1&qid=1593522998&sr=1-1-70f7c15d-07d8-466a-b325-4be35d7258cc

7 Likes

I know a few people have mention using a 2-in-1 Micro USB to USB Adapter when using the Aeotec Z-Stick Gen5 Z-Wave Stick on a Hubitat C-5 hub.

2 Likes

You get the service in that last sentence going and I'll be purchasing some hardware soon.

I'll be a Beta if you need one;-)

Speaking of Hubitat ELEVATION, an I get a ride on the Wonkavator Great Glass Elevator too????? :laughing:

1 Like

Congrats to the team on pushing HE forward and the introduction of new hard. I know I'll be grabbing one of the new hubs once available and keeping my older hub as a backup.

Looking forward to the migration tool as I know this has been a feature that has been requested many times over the years by the community and even though some may not think they aren't listening this shows that the HE team is paying attention.

6 Likes

Kudos to the Hubitat team who have responded to the need for a migration tool within 2.5 years of the first Hubitat Elevation becoming available.

Now SmartThings (or Samsung SmartThings) haven't responded to that need in over 7 years ....

Heck - for all their bad management history, even Wink managed to get a migration tool ready when their second generation hub was released.

14 Likes

Heh, Samsung/Smartthings hasn't even made migrating to their new App available yet! I'm still waiting for the invite to convert from the Classic app to the new one and it's been over a year. Can't wait for the Hubitat!

1 Like

Hopefully this will allow for local backups of Zigbee/ZWave devices for C-5 hubs as well to allow for both easy migration and recovery if the hub fails. I have 100's of devices and it would be a PITA to have to repair and rebuild all my Rules!!

Yea, I'd agree with that. When they finally released, it went pretty smoothly for Zigbee/Zwave devices. The Casetas did require an extra button confirmation at each device to have them rejoin, but was fairly painless from what I remember.

This is already kind of possible with zigbee devices. You can restore a backup on a new HE, and just re-pair zigbee devices. They will fall in to place with their existing device ids and names. So Rules would not need to be rebuilt or edited.

6 Likes