New inovelli switches stuck on initializing C7 Hub

But, why?

1. Because those were the defaults that were checked when the screen came up when I paired them, and I think that is what 99.8% of customers will do - so is the best way to test.
  2. For testing the new S2 pairing

Do I actually care if either of those are S2? No.

1 Like

you're asking me? Too much tin foil?, or maybe not enough?, because you can, because everyone in the world wants to diddle with your lighting? i have no idea...

yup, and that's the way S2 works, no getting around it...

On the plus side, on smallish test networks with S2 devices I haven't seen a performance hit, unlike the freaking abomination that is S0...

1 Like

That's why.

1 Like

For the record, I have been unable to pair GE Enbrighten Dimmers (that are S2 capable) at all - secure or non-secure. It gets stuck in initializing.

Going to try a few more exclude/pair attempts before moving on to other devices.

awesome, I can sit all day with these and not have a single issue, not dismissing your issue however...
I just included these again yesterday...

On mine when I pair, it asks for which security levels. I de-select all check boxes, the S2 code window still pops up, I click ok and then it discovers it and gets stuck in initializing.

I'll keep working on it...

EDIT: I got them to pair non-secure. Took a number of tries, but the pairing process got out of its funk somehow.

It seemed to get back on track after I went and paired a non-secure device, then reboot. After that the same dimmers paired (non-secure) just fine. :man_shrugging:

I've just gone through using the work around - to limited success.
I've gotten 1 of 4 switches (innovelli) to pair up.
No matter how many times I exclude the device - it still fails as thinking it's included.

I thinks it’s important to emphasize that each time you pair a problem device you need to restart the hub after it gets stuck on initialize. Any other commands after that are unlikely to work.

BTW I have a ge dimmer and it paired super fast.

Had issues with HomeSeer floodlight sensor.

1 Like

True in my testing. :+1:

1 Like

Do we have any idea why the z-wave pairing issues? Not trying to be an β– β– β– , but this is pretty basic and literally step 2, and with popular devices.
Hoping for a hotfix.

1 Like

I understand frustration, but be civil and reasonable.

They are actively working it (they have stated such), and when they figure out the issue of course they will fix it and release an update. It isn't like they know the fix and are holding it back...

4 Likes

As of today I've moved over

• 64 zigbee devices
  • 60 zwave devices

The zigbee was easy. The zwave as others have noticed has been nothing but a pain in the β– β– β– .

I still have a few zwave devices that are being problematic. 3 inovelli switches which are sitting next to other switches that work. My Homeseer floodlight sensors, which don't seem to want to join, a zooz double plug which won't include or exclude and a fibaro door sensor I'm now fighting with.

Every time I turn off all security on my devices when prompted. I just want to get them moved over at this point.

I still have all my wifi devices to move too and then I can start setting back up all my apps and rules.

At least I have learned all my exclude/include dances for every device.

Okay, I didn't read that they were working on it.
I don't believe it's unreasonable to expect basic functionality, unless there was a manufacturing issue at some point. I didn't mean to imply they are holding anything back, if that what you interpreted.

1 Like

Understood.

Clearly in this instance something is happening that they didn't see in the hundreds and thousands of device pairings they did during testing. They certainly didn't release it knowing there were going to be pairing issues.

I'm sure after they figure out the root cause they will go back and see what can be done differently in the future to catch these types of things before release. Although even then, no software/hardware company catches 100.0% of issues before release.

It is very reasonable for a consumer to expect the device they purchased to work. I'm not disagreeing with that at all.

I'm confident that Hubitat will figure this out, and we'll be back to bitching about things like column sorting and wanting more device specific parameters in the in-box drivers in no time!

8 Likes

I got my hs floodlight to pair by sending unpair, pair (and see that it is a unknown node) , reboot, discover

I .....
Love you
@JasonJoel
:kiss:

5 Likes

Slightly different scenario, but your statement also applies to platform updates. Whenever a publicly released version uncover bugs not observed in beta testing, Hubitat Inc. gets them fixed (hence minor releases).

3 Likes

I can think of three:

• Network and hub performance. S0 sends 3x the amount of traffic that non-secure & S2 send. Hubitat has traditionally recommended to have many device types on a non-secure network. The improved performance of S2 allows a default-secure posture without sacrificing performance.
  • The segmentation of the network into different permissions and capabilities is an inherently more secure model that can help to isolate your high-risk devices from others that may implement less secure practices in their network handling.
  • To use Z-Wave association with another S2 device (EG door lock).

Citations and more info in this thread: