New inovelli switches stuck on initializing C7 Hub

Don't feel bad, @ogiewon actually speaks Hexadecimal, and has trained his dogs to respond to it.

"Rover - 15...good boy, well done. Now, OC!!"

3 Likes

1 Like

Not at all.. Ignorance and stupid are 2 completely different things.. We are all ignorant on subjects until we learn them. In case you are interested in the reasoning:

Hexadecimal is a clean way to transform binary into an easy to read format. 0-F is every combination of 4 bits.. So 8 bits (1 byte) is easily represented by 00-FF

3 Likes

Thank you for the explanation. Definitely learned something new!

Summary

I am still stupid though

2 Likes

Why would i see these under zwave details after having issues adding devices?

With ghost nodes issue, I found that patience is key. I didn't try to remove them myself, just ran Zwave repair everyday. And after a couple days, all the ghost nodes cleared by themselves

1 Like

Those are failed pairs. I just unpaired the device and they went away. It had two entries for the device. The failed pair and the one that succeeded. Removing it removed both. I removed, factory reset the switch, and rejoined and my mesh was happy.

1 Like

Hope this will clear the ghosts in the next update....

I don't know if it will clear the ghosts but it should make pairing much better. Then you can remove and successfully join. One thing to note... While I had those failed devices in there my rules were running like crap. Sometimes not triggering at all and even sometimes causing the radio to hang, but now with everything cleared up they have no perceivable delay at all.

1 Like

The update is available now. 2.2.3.118

1 Like

From other posts - you will need to manually start the Z-Wave firmware update after upgrading!!!!!

1 Like

True! Everyone - read the entire post, it's a two-step update, a second manual process after the initial hub FW update.

Does anyone know where I can get the DSK if I lost the QR sheet?

On the new Inovelli switches and dimmers, the DSK is also on the device itself--just take off your wall plate, and the same QR code and numbers (or at least the first part of the DSK you'd need with S2 Authenticated) are on a sticker on the bottom right on the front of the switch, stuck to the metallic plate. Other devices may vary here. Some may have them printed on a sticker somewhere else on the device. For some, I swear I never got the key at all and just trust when S2 Unauthenticated tells me the DSK should match... :grimacing:

1 Like

Not sure if this is bad advice, only can say it worked for me. I had to rebuild my zwave network a full 4 times over the course of about a month. Devices were having a very hard time joining and I had a lot of bad devices on the zwave page. The radio was hanging for sometimes minutes and no zwave commands would send. The first 3 times I built the system I was entering the DSK keys from the devices when (seemingly randomly) the hub asked for them. This did not work for me.

The 4th and final time, I unchecked the security boxes on any device that asked for a key, and I did not provide a key. Now my system is working very reliably. I'm not sure what security I'm missing out on, but my zwave mesh is reliable and strong, finally.

I had to do that as well with my V1 Inovellis and V3 Zooz switches.

I'm having this same issue. Is this still the process for including these? I get the security popup and uncheck...then it just hangs on initializing....I have about 4 that I have been able to get working because I was doing an upgrade from a C4 and I replaced the DNI with the new one from the found device. They are currently working. The last one I did not have...so it's looking a little odd.

best to remove and follow the above process? Or has this been fixed in a subsequent release?

There was a bootstrapping bug that was fixed in an inovelli firmware update. I think the version is at least 1.48 for the inovelli red dimmers. I've been able to pair several dimmers on 1.48 without unchecking any security settings.

There are the NZW31 dimmers from a few years ago. I'm not familiar with the newer ones. Or if these even are firmware updateable. I do know..out of everything I migrated over from my C4 to my C7 these were by and large the biggest PITA. And before I go spending another few hours to get 4 switches back online...I want to make sure I'm following the right procedure.

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.