New Inovelli switch

Huh. All my development work in the last many years has been simplistic Arduino, and more recently Particle Photon based (a Weathercloud-supporting sensor package, which I am going to modify to make it easily readable by Hubitat as well).

So 500 is a bear? Bummer... But hope exists with 700. Hopefully they will keep that going in future generations of the Z-Wave architecture.

Very interesting, I see the use case now for sure. Thanks for clarifying! I'll check with @ericm as well as the engineers to see what we can do here. The other thing I'll have to make sure of is if the plug can even handle space heaters. I know our old plugs were not meant for this use case and also not recommended due to your exact scenario (communication with HUB breaks).

Yeah we definitely looked into this before, but it's worth exploring with the new manufacturer. The problem we ran into was more of a SmartThings/Wink issue where things were reliant on the cloud and people wanted to reboot their router. Well, when the router is turned off, there was no Z-Wave control to turn the plug back on (hence the router would never turn back on). I don't think the manufacturer understood it should've been an internal clock that would turn on/off from the switch itself so we just scrapped the idea. But there's definitely a lot of people that ask for this, so it's worth bringing back up now that we're in different hands.

Great ideas! I've put them both into our PRD (Product Request Document) Deck that's constantly updated between us and the manufacturer. I really appreciate it!

Stay tuned.

That's actually an interesting way to approach it. I'm not sure on all the technicalities of the firmware, but I do know that our switches (and any other product moving forward) have the auto-timer in it where you can change the parameter to have your switch auto-turn off after x minutes.

It would be cool to have some sort of override (ie: command that you mentioned) that would constantly override this feature.

Very interesting. If @ericm wasn't bunkered down working on firmware, I'd be curious on his thoughts as he's the brains behind the coding side!

Hey, thanks, we appreciate it! Yes, I know the feeling around the box size and extra wires. Either a) the electrician who wired our house was drunk or b) they didn't have an electrician when they wired as I have not only the metal boxes, but the wiring is insane.

So, we originally thought the same thing around what influences the depth of the switch in that we thought it was the Z-Wave chipset, but ultimately what causes the depth to be the way it is, is actually the relay and the other smart components (but primarily the relay).

However, it makes you wonder how Lutron has been able to create some switches that are smaller. I'm actually pretty impressed with what GE did with their latest switches in making the depth smaller AND removing the heat-sink tabs, while also keeping the same wattage as before.

Yes, all switches (and any product we'll sell aside from battery powered devices) will be UL listed. The products being designed right now are actually there being tested right now for certification :slight_smile:

Which switches do you have (Dimmer or On/Off)? We put a feature on our old switches that allows you to change the ramp rate of the switch (you can make it instant on or as slow of a delay as you'd like). I can help you find it for sure so you can edit it. But to answer your question, yes, the new switches will have this feature too. Even people with HUB's that aren't as powerful as Hubitat (I'm looking at you Wink) can edit this now via the config button on the switch itself with no HUB, which is pretty cool.

Great questions!

Yeah for sure. They're on the roadmap. I can't promise they'll be ready this year as we've prioritized the switch lineup, remotes, LED line, and indoor plugs first, but I definitely want to get the outdoor plugs completed after that.

Yeah, those things were solid in terms of ruggedness, but yeah, they are bulky. Great feedback on the button and covers. I guess I just didn't press the button enough with gloves on (I live in MI and try to stay out of the snow as much as I can, which is nearly impossible).

The ultimate goal is once we start building these products to have everyone pitch in from the communities (like they have already) and we'll build some sort of forum as well to where certain features can be voted on and make these even more community built products. There's only so much we can think of, so it's really nice to be able to hear from you guys while we build these things!

I'll honestly have to wait for @ericm on this one, but it sounds like @JasonJoel has some experience!

Dang. I've never felt more underqualified in my life reading this sentence lol. I'll stick to marketing and rely on you much smarter people with creating the code :rofl:

@Eric_Inovelli:
Upstate NY here. Gloves are mostly when shoveling and it is not like I really need to worry about the button on plugs once they are outdoors.

As for programming and such, all mine is just hobby. My programming in college is all long forgotten. Folks like @JasonJoel or @Cobra appear to be on entirely different levels.

For the dimmer switch... If you folks are able to do a countdown mechanism, with the button able to incrementing/decrementing time not actually dimming AND it can handle a motor load of ~50W or more (one of the biggest BROAN models is 50W as a sample) then I would replace all my bathroom fan switches for that. Only 3 but it would be so much of what we have been looking for.

I have the Inovelli NZ30 with Scene. I'm using the driver provided by @ericm but I can't find the work "Ramp" anywhere on the device page. Where is it located?

@snell We actually have something similar that could easily be adapted to do what you are requesting. We have an auto off timer that turns off after x seconds. We could make it so that the timer resets if the device receives an "on" command. This way, you could set the auto off to say 5 minutes and set your hub to turn on the device every 1 minute. As soon as the hub stops sending the "on" command the timer will expire and the device will turn off.

@jtmpush18 The setting is the "step size". With the most recent firmware setting it to 0 will cause the dimmer to turn on / off instantly. Increasing the value from 0 makes it slower with each increase.

@ericm:
I think that method could work @napalmcsr but I will let him answer it. My use case was more along the lines of a bathroom fan or something, where the up button increases the time remaining and the down button decreases it. This COULD be done with the hub (making the switch not directly control the power and having the hub increase or decrease a global variable that gets passed as the time remaining). However, like @napalmcsr I do not want to HAVE to have the hub in place to control it after initial setup.

For example, if I need it connected to my hubitat to get it all configured (turn off the switch's direct control of power, set the increase/decrease levels per press, set minimum and maximum times, etc...) that is fine. But once configured that part should stay on the switch. There is a simple reason for this even more so than hubitat reliability (which I find excellent). The reason is because if we ever move I do not want to have to leave the hub, leave detailed explanations, or go around removing/replacing everything. Every hard-wired smart item I have installed MUST be able to perform it's expected function on it's own. The hubitat (or other controller) just allows it to be that much smarter when available or able to be controlled remotely, or with other sources of data.

1 Like

Yup, that would work for me.

As far as I can see, using your latest driver, there is no "step size" parameter:

@jtmpush18: Correct, there is not one... now. :slight_smile:

Ok, I see what you are saying. Have a way on the switch to increase / decrease the auto off timer. We will keep that in mind.

@jtmpush18 The setting is there for the basic and advanced dimmer. It is down tin the preferences:

That's only for the dimmer!
I specifically mentioned in my note, that I was only referring to switches not dimmers.
The switches have a noticeable delay between the time that they are pushed and the time that they turn on. I asked if that delay can be changed?

Oops, sorry! I was replying to the other Eric's response:

So at the time I wasn't sure. Sometimes I don't have time to read all the responses, but I try to help out the best I can.

So yeah, the scene dimmer / switches need a delay to give the switch time to determine if the user is going to be pressing 1x, 2x, 3x, etc. Any "scene" detecting device will have a similar delay. Unfortunately, the delay carried over to the non-scene switches firmware in our old line of devices. For our new devices, the non-scene switch / dimmer will not have the delay.

@snell -- look what I found today doing a little research lol. There's no actual photos of the switch other than 3D renderings, but I thought of you when I was looking at it!

1 Like

LOL.... :face_vomiting::face_vomiting::face_vomiting::face_vomiting::face_vomiting:

3 Likes

That is... Very trustworthy seeming. :thinking:

Not an Inovelli product so how can we be sure it will work with Hubitat and have people paying attention to what we say.

Plus... My girls need dimmer switches, that one is on/off only and even I think it is pretty gaudy. The angled colors across... Almost makes me want to buy one just to see how bad it really is.

July 18 is tomorrow... I assume there will be tons of posts on here how customers received their new Inovelli devices, right???

1 Like

LOL. I was just thinking about that last night actually.

@ericm or @Eric_Inovelli any updates on your switches? Haven't received anything in a while.

I notice there are no dates of any kind posted on the website now. Super reassuring... lol

EDIT: Well that isn't 100% true... In the "Production Status" tab on the devices there is info. Granted, it is all 100% wrong and inaccurate at this point. But it is technically there.

And on one of the product pages it shows this. So I guess we'll see in 2 days?

(OK, I know I'm being an ass.... But this is literally just the same ole same ole from Inovelli... No different than all of the stock supply / miscommunication issues last year. Not a very reliable/trustworthy company in my opinion based on the data...)

Capture

I don't even see the dates now (edit: varies between pages).

Come on Eric, you and the team did so well at communicating in forums, reddit etc. but the website is a black hole with last blog in 2017 and the forums unused. You're still promoting the old range for sale but OOS: this just adds to the confusion and poor impression for visitors. Time for a cleanup!

NB I've still NEVER received an email despite subscribing to every mailing list twice....

I'm still holding out for a Canadian launch once you get stock, but my drywall is nearly finished and soon time for final electrical.......