New hub will not connect

I finally got my hub up and running. It turns out that a certain few routers will not assign the hub an IP adrees using DHCP and mine is one of them. (Motorola gateway) I added a second router behind it and all is good. Hubitat has a fix but has not fully tested it. Hopefully the second router will not be necessary.

Thanks for the confirmation @csteele. I'll pick a few 9f those up then!

@Randy, great to know. In my case, my DHCP is handled by a dedicated server: NethServer, which is CentOS 7 Linux based. So we can add that to the list of unliked DHCP systems. :wink:

1 Like

My DHCP is also a CentOS Linux system running standard dhcpd. Works wonderfully. Everything has a pseudo static address (reservation)

Look at the Aeon SmartSwitch 6. Similar but an Amp more. My washer popped the Dome, but the Aeon keeps on ticking. The Dome is fine on the Gas dryer.

I’d be interesting in know what this exactl issue was?

Quite a few threads now on this kinda issue with the C5s. Most seem like the ethernet cable being plugged in last or not giving enough time for initial boot cause an issue. The hub probably sets an APIPA after and attempts to contact Google DNS as a fail safe?

I have had my C4 on in about a dozen different network configurations with different routers and never seen anything odd with DHCP. I always see the initial discovery and request 0.0.0.0 to 255.255.255.255 67+68 UDP. Then just see the expected traffic for DNS and traffic on port 8883. Oh and 443 if you doing anything needing interwebs.

Used pfSense, OPNsense, OpenWRT, Same Asus as ogiewon, USG Pro 4, Sophos UTM. Even had the darn thing double NAT and going through a proxy.
I have a little too much fun sometimes.:face_with_hand_over_mouth:

@slightlyevolved it sounds like you got some pretty nice toys to play with, but it may be useful to get all of them set up a bit more. Sometimes being lazy with that kinda stuff actually complicates it more. :rofl:

Yeah. I'm actually starting that now. I had a power surge during the heavy storm season this past spring and it REKT some of my equipment. Insurance replaced it all, and the motivation to start it all over has been.... Wanting.

Still, got a decommissioned IBM System X server for free from my company, and insurance paid replacement cost, minus depreciation. Turns out replacement for a 2U enterprise server costs enough after depreciation to have paid off my car a year and a half early, and still buy a used replacement off eBay. :grin:

Thanks again @csteele. Neth looks like it uses dnsmasq for its DNS and DHCP. I'll look at the Aeon. Kinda didn't want to spend $50 ea, but gotta do what you gotta do. I want one to monitor the input to my server rack, so it'll have a pretty solid draw on it.

1 Like

I know that feeling, I had 3.5 feet of water in my basement years ago, lost thousands upon thousands $ because insurance would not cover hardly anything cause I’m in a flood zone.

I have been using dnsmasq under a few different systems and configurations with no issues.

Maybe this is a newer issue with just the C5s? That doesn’t sound likely though.

Quite a few people have complained about not being able to connect and it seemed to me that it usually boiled down to not waiting long enough for the initial boot or having it powered on but the ethernet not connected at first boot.

Received my new C5 "dev" hub today and just plugged it into a switch with a VLan in my office. No issues to report. Came up in portal and updated. All good. Am also running Opnsense Firewall on a low power pc.

DHCPD is hard to beat. That's what I use too.

I let the thing sit for almost an hour and was monitoring it from power on via Wireshark. It never even broadcast for a lease. Just started pestering the net for the location 8.8.8.8. which isn't even my DNS server, it's assigned 10.0.0.22. I don't know. It was strange.

I love OPNSense. I use it as my gateway. I'm planning to learn LDAP/AD, so have DHCP and DNS separate in preparation for that. It's much easier to deploy a forrest on the same device as DNS/DHCP, I've gathered.

Yeah I haven't dabbled in that stuff yet but want to - SSO would be lovely in my mixed OS world. Originally jumped from pfsense after they started requiring AES-NI capable CPUs.

so many things to play with...