New hub will not connect

169.254.x.x is the range allocated to No DHCP

"169.254.x.x is a private IP Addressing space assigned automatically to your Network Adapter if it cannot get an IP Address from the DHCP Server. "

Yeah. Which is why I really wonder why it's asking for a Google DNS server, when it doesn't have an IP, nor does it appear to even be trying to get an IP.

As far as it's concerned, it has an IP address... 169.254.9.190

It just doesn't work anywhere on this planet :smiley:

Well..... You're not wrong.. :smiley:

yea, but in this case, I'd rather be wrong. :frowning:

I'd rather you had a fully functioning Hub because they are so cool.

True, not exactly what I'd call the best first OOBE impression. But, Meh. I've had worse.

Yours is the new C-5 Hub? The one without external USB stick?

Did you tried changing LAN port then turning on the hub? that solved a similar issue I had

By the time it decides to use 169.254.x.x, it's given up on DHCP.

Correct.

And some good news. I opened up one of my virtual machines and put it in the same subnet as the hub. I was able to connect to 169.254.98.190:8081 without issue. So, the actual device is live. Just cant' do anything with it on the real network.

And @vjv, yeah. I moved it over to another switch port at one point.

Question is, why is it giving up on DHCP in seconds?

Very odd, well I had to fight a long time until it got the ip, so I thought was the LAN port change

Do you have a complicated network topology? As another test, could you direct attach the Hubitat hub to a spare standalone router running a DHCP server as a test?

I just unboxed a new C-5 hub, connected it to my network, and had it updated and registered in about 5 minutes. I have a pretty simple network, comprised of an ASUS RT-AC86U router, and a bunch of unmanaged gigabit switches.

Is there a chance that your switch is somehow blocking the DHCP request?

Also, did you try a different Cat5 cable? Your test with a virtual machine means the cable is probably good, though...

If you unplug power at the wall and apply power again, does it come up with a DHCP address?

Yeah, I figure the cable is not the issue, but I did swap, just because... I've seen stranger things.

Switch is not blocking the DHCP requests.

On power on, device lights to solid blue in 8 seconds, almost exactly, then within 10 seconds of that phase, I start seeing the flood of requests from the self assigned IP.

I suppose you could consider my network complex, but right now, not really the topology. I've been lazy with my home lab, so all my production gear is just running as such:

OPNSense gateway with NIC connected to a Dell PowerConnect switch, with the Hubitat on the same switch. No VLANS or anything at this point (see: lazy). DHCP/DNS is handled by a NethServer install. No issues for the last year and half with this setup.

DHCP settings are thus:
Assignment range: 10.0.1.30 - 10.0.1.199
Subnet mask: 255.255.254.0

So not having a /24 subnet is not typical, I guess you could consider it complex-ish. It's got such a large IP pool because I can set my lab gear and VMs to static IPs in the 10.0.0.0 address space, and give all other things addresses in 10.0.1.0 space.

Checking the Neth logs for the DHCP, there are no requests from this MAC address.

Sooo. After about 10 power cycles, it finally sent out a DHCP request. Instead of the blue light coming on within seconds of being plugged in, it took around 30 seconds, and wireshark showed the device broadcasting for DHCP, and getting one from the server. It came up just like it should ever since.

However, now I'm thinking maybe I've got a bum unit. Three times I've had the device go fully unresponsive, and when I look at it, the LED is completely off and no link at all on the ethernet port. I have to pull power and reapply. This happened once last night while fussing with it, once again around 2am (I assume, because that was the last time the dashboard reported contact with the hub), and again around 1pm today.

So this may have all been down to a faulty device. Maybe power supply. I'm going to swap the PSU and see if it runs stable. If not, looks like I'll be making a warranty call to support tomorrow.

I would be suspicious based on what you have tried and observed. Really odd that it wasn't broadcasting for the DHCP server immediately . . .

I will be interested to hear the final resolution.

Yeah, that's what got me. I mean, wireshark NEVER showed it broadcasting for a DHCP connection. It'd just start casting around with it's self assigned trying to locate google's DNS server (which isn't even the DNS I use.) I'm not even sure the crashing/power loss (not sure which, yet) is related to stupid network things; but who knows. Unstable power can do strange things.

So glad to hear that you at least were able to get it up and running. I am sure support will make it right!

So, just an update, because I hate it when threads are left hanging. After it started working again, I've not had a single issue with the device. I didn't need to contact support or anything. I don't know why the device shut down those three times, but it's been running for almost a week without issue.

shrug Who knows...

Now to get this dashboard setup, all my devices moved over.... and find a good power monitoring smart plug.

Anyone know if the Dome DMOF1 works well with hubitat? Well... that's not really a question to answer in this thread. :wink:

Yes, it works. There is a built-in native driver for it: Dome On Off Plug

I have my gas dryer plugged into it and use it's readings to send Pushover messages for dryer running and complete.