New Homebridge Plug-in via MakerAPI

I also added a new checkbox to the tool at https://dantapps.github.io/

Screen Shot 2020-08-16 at 9.33.28 AM

This way the output is pre-formatted for HOOBS and you don't need to figure out which section you need to copy..

As a personal highlight, this simple change made me very happy...... While very easy and quick, it was the first time in weeks that I was actually able to do something in regard to home automation..... work is just keeping me super busy right now.... It's a good Sunday for me :sunglasses:

6 Likes

That's a great update Dan. :smiley:

HOOBS is good / different in the way it manages config. However, I also found the official homebridge/homebridge-raspbian-image to be better suited to my brain. One element I've found in the config management is those darn punctuations. With your new change, I was able to copy the config from your tool into the rPi without error, only having to add a comma:

Screen Shot 2020-08-16 at 8.07.30 AM Screen Shot 2020-08-16 at 8.34.23 AM
The initial config needs to have a comma added, then paste in the MakerAPI portion:

After that, the config saves with no error. Prior to your change today, I'd have an occasional { } mismatch due to a sloppy copy. :slight_smile: Not any more!! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I think this has been answered but I want to make sure I did not miss anything in this thread. I have a Nest thermostat. I burned the RPi Homebridge image, I installed and configured the Homebridge Nest plugin. Homebridge can see and control my Nest. I installed and configured the Homebridge Hubitat Makerapi. (damn comma) I can see and control all of my Hubitat devices on the Homebridge Accessories screen. Cool, they are talking!

Now for the Nest thermostat. Am I correct that I can't "expose" the Nest to the Hubitat? I did read that I can do some virtual switch voodoo for simple switches but my interest is in getting the Nest into the Hubitat.

I have to say this is pretty slick and if I were a HomeKit user I would be doing jumping jacks right now.

Thanks, Steve

This is correct.

Buy yourself an iPhone, iPad, AppleTV 4K and have fun! :wink:

1 Like

Why are you doing this if you aren’t using Apple Homekit?
It is very slick, and much faster than Alexa since Homekit runs locally.

I might as well. I could learn something.

1 Like

I did it because I was hoping I could get access to my Nest thermostat. I'll have to play with Siri.

So I just got Homebridge up and running thanks to this awesome integration.
On 'dumb' question I have is, is there a way to have HomeKit automations work without owning an AppleTV, HomePod or iPad that's always stuck at home using HomeBridge?

As far as I know, you need one of devices.

@SoundersDude You will need one of the devices at home at all times. Just fair warning. i have an ipad at home and since 13.2 (i think) i cannot keep my ipad connected to the homebridge. it's a royal pain.. It worked great for a while but when the "not responding" issues started happening, i would have to reset homebridge and then set it all up again. Which this was weekly. Now i can't even do that anymore. I wish i could roll back to 13.1 lol.. Just fair warning that this apparently is an issue that is all over the homebridge-sphere!!! I really miss having my homekit integration.

We use AppleTV 4's throughout the house for a consistent user interface on every TV. The AppleTV 4 or 4K does a very great job of being the HomeKit hub, and I feel it is one of the best media streaming boxes available.

3 Likes

Damn it... you are giving me a reason to splurge.

1 Like

@ogiewon yea i've been contemplating having something that is always on and wired.

@SoundersDude and I feel your pain.. I'm hoping this solves my issue, plus having an Apple TV at home may be fun. then i could move my amazon cube to the bedroom LOL

It's a global pandemic! Think of all of the money you've saved by not eating out nearly as much? :wink: And, by spending, you're helping the economy! It's really your civic duty! :rofl:

4 Likes

Welp, I have really good news and horrible news. The good news is I pulled out my old Apple TV, and low and behold it enables this. The bad news is it is old, and it feels wrong connecting it to the 4k TV. But now I don't have an excuse to buy a new 4k apple tv which is the bad news :stuck_out_tongue: .

Excited to see how what this opens up for me.

3 Likes

I think you may have other issues other than the OS. I have kept up on all the releases (currently on 13.6) and have never had any connectivity issues with any of the 4 instances of homebridge connected to my iPad.

Once it's functioning, there's no requirement that it be connected to a TV any more. Just pile it up near your 2-3 Hubs, Raspberry Pi, Lutron SmartBridge Pro, SmartThings. It'll make a nice addition :smiley:

4 Likes

Ah, good call.
Yeah, my "hubs" are becoming numerous;
1- HE
2 - Raspberry Pi
3 - Lutron Smartbridge Pro

And I'm sure I'm not done as I have a C-7 just waiting to be broken open!

1 Like

lucy you.. but i’ve been through numerous threads all over the interwebs and i’m not the only person that has seen this issue..

Hey all - I'm wondering if anyone is running to an issue where HomeBridge isn't showing the right state after an action is taken.

In particular for one of my door locks, when I use Homebridge to unlock - it works - which is great, but it stays in the "unlocking..." state. I'm not entirely sure where it's getting stuck.

I know people have complained about that with Alexa (I don't have that problem with Alexa), so this is a first for me and not sure if there are work-arounds.

Thanks for any suggestions.